Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Question LS T56 vs LT T56.

Hey everybody. I recently came across a great deal on a ls1 t56 tranny with 48k miles on it. I can get it for less than 600 bucks. I want to put a t56 in my 79 malibu with an early (73model) block. I know the lt styles are more straight forward with older 2 piece seal motors. But what would I need to do the ls t56 swap. I already have a hydraulic clutch set-up with the t5 in it now. And I just scored a g-force t56 crossmember for the g-body cars. I had to buy it after I was the high bidder on ebay. I didn't think I'd win but I did for $75. They're 250 new. Anyway, all help is appreciated.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by kensz28 View Post
    Hey everybody. I recently came across a great deal on a ls1 t56 tranny with 48k miles on it. I can get it for less than 600 bucks. I want to put a t56 in my 79 malibu with an early (73model) block. I know the lt styles are more straight forward with older 2 piece seal motors. But what would I need to do the ls t56 swap. I already have a hydraulic clutch set-up with the t5 in it now. And I just scored a g-force t56 crossmember for the g-body cars. I had to buy it after I was the high bidder on ebay. I didn't think I'd win but I did for $75. They're 250 new. Anyway, all help is appreciated.
    From what I know about the differences, you will need both an input shaft from an LT1 T56 (they are completely different) as well as an LT1 T56 bellhousing, and possibly an LT1 front adaptor plate. That will allow you to bolt it to your motor, as well as use a regular external slave cylinder setup.

Thread Information