Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Installed 8.8 Rear end into my 98 Camaro

I installed an 8.8 rearend with 4.10's and a locker yesterday in my 98 camaro. 4 shop 077.jpg4 shop 083.jpg4 shop 075.jpg4 shop 080.jpg

I can setup anyone else for an fbody if anyone interested.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

I've seen some other guys try to set them up for an fbody and had problems but this design is bullit proof for sure!! Me and Nick Ray from Shaving Seconds Fabrication removed my old rear end and fabbed 8.8 and installed in two days. I'm the owner of Cuccaro Motorsports and specialize in lsx based cars.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

So what is the fabrication process? I have 2 of these rearend s leftover from my mustangs.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

This is something I want for my SS.
    can't get it done by my self

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

what was the total cost of the entire project???

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

in response to jrbonds the fab process includes transfering the shock, lower control arm brackets, coil perches and panhard bracket from a stock fbody 10 bolt to the 8.8. My 8.8 still has the original axle tubes except we welded them to the housing for strength. Then we fabbed the torque arm from scratch using some circle track mod car know how. All welds are tigged and the pinion angle was set to -1 with a digital angle finder as i am still using my stock torque arm. Other torque arm options are available also but figure most people want stock setup. The torque arm is reinforced into the housing and the axles are back braced for maximum support. My car has ported heads, a magic stick 4 cam, ls6 block, headers, tune, bolt on's, and a 150 shot of juice plus nitto drags and strength doesnt seem to be an issue. A donor 10 bolt housing is preferable to reduce cost for the brackets. thanks jesse

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

response to spaz: Well i pulled my 8.8 from my wrecked 04 Gt so I already had the rearend and me and nick ray did all the fab work on our own so for me it was minimal. If you want a qoute, it depends on if you have the donor 10 bolt for the brackets and a donor 8.8. If a person had donors I could do all the fabbing for about $800 materials and labor. If somebody just wanted a turn key package for me to supply the 8.8 and 10 bolt brackets I could sell complete for $1450. Gears or a locker would be extra, I had about 550 in my gears and locker for 8.8. Its way cheaper then a 9 inch or 12 bolt aftermarket for sure and at least as strong as a 12 bolt especially with extra bracing we put on it. I'm close to el paso tx so if anyone wants to freight one to me or bring here let me know. thanks jesse

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

I had blown up at least 3 10bolt rears in my car previous to finally being able to do this setup lol!! I also have a 9 inch housing that is already close to being set up for an fbody has all other perches just needs torque arm finished.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

See my concern was the axle tubes and axles themselves. What about the axles? Do you use the mustang ones or like my cars axles?

I'm actually headed to las cruces soon. my mom lives there.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

to jr bonds: I used the mustang 28 spline axles and reinforced the mustang axle tubes. There are cobra guys putting 700 hp to the stock 8.8 also. I'm running a rear wheel with split pattern to accomodate the different bolt pattern. If you wanted even stronger axles we would have to order them separetly with the chevy pattern and if you wanted larger spline count we would have to get a bigger posi also. However even in stock trim the 8.8 is a light years stronger than a 10 bolt. Oh cool well hit me up when you gona come down. pm me and we can exchange info. thanks jesse

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    to jr bonds: I used the mustang 28 spline axles and reinforced the mustang axle tubes. There are cobra guys putting 700 hp to the stock 8.8 also. I'm running a rear wheel with split pattern to accomodate the different bolt pattern. If you wanted even stronger axles we would have to order them separetly with the chevy pattern and if you wanted larger spline count we would have to get a bigger posi also. However even in stock trim the 8.8 is a light years stronger than a 10 bolt. Oh cool well hit me up when you gona come down. pm me and we can exchange info. thanks jesse
    Been messing with mustangs 15 years. I know all about ford rearends. Have a 9 inch in my 65 stang.

I was just worried about my wheels fitting because of the lug pattern.

And my name is Jodi.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    Been messing with mustangs 15 years. I know all about ford rearends. Have a 9 inch in my 65 stang.

I was just worried about my wheels fitting because of the lug pattern.

And my name is Jodi.

Oh thats cool an yea the wheel pattern is the only drawback, custom axles with the right pattern are about 250 for a pair. feel free to hit me up whenever if your interested. thanks jesse

Thread Information