Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Question I think the tranny is going to take a dump...

i was driving today and I made a run against my friend's motorcycle up to 100 mph. when i was at a stop light after that run I could smell burnt clutch material. I have an A4 02 z28. the car is shifting fine, but the fluid smells a little burnt. the question is if I should wait to overhaul the transmission until it breaks or should I overhaul it now? I know how to overhaul a transmission so paying for labor isnt really an issue.

if I overhaul it now I could put in a stall and avoid the potential of limping home when the clutches give out.
    the other option is to keep driving it until it lets go and then put the stall in and overhaul it.
    the car has 82,000 miles on it.

what would u guys do in this situation.

black
    2002 WS6

The longer you leave it, the bigger the potential for failure at the wrong time. And the more parts you'll need. Aslo get an aux tranny cooler.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

how much does a used 4l60 cost? i am gonna look into getting a SRTA transmission from my dealership. i like the fact that it comes with a warranty.
    Last edited by z28punk; 03-02-2008 at 02:57 PM.

black
    2002 WS6

Dunno, never priced one out.

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

I dont know what a SRTA costs from your local dealership but i have a friend whos tranny went out on him and he got it fixed at aamco, dont go to aamco, it cost him like 1500 dollars and he always has problems with it. It took them six tries to make it usable. Anyway for 1650 you can get a level 3 transmission from flt, sorry if saying that breaks some rule, and that would be more then enough to hold together for a street car.

I do not have experience with driving a car with a slightly built transmission, other then a shift kit. So i dont know how a level 3 would drive or how hard it would shift. I just wanted to throw out what you can get for maybe close to the same price as a stock replacement.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

well if i'm gonna price it out and see if i should just have the tranny tech at my dealer replace the clutches or replace just replace the whole thing. its only $211 in labor for me to replace the tranny at my dealer. they only charge emplorees $45/hour for labor and book time is 4.7 hours. so if i can find a tranny it wouldnt cost much to put in.

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

look around in the for sale section of this and other forums, i see 4l60e's used for sale for around 400 quite often.

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841010

there is one for 500 plus shipping though.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841010

there is one for 500 plus shipping though.
    so maybe $700 after shipping? maybe? it sounds like a good deal. im gonna price out a SRTA at work (employee price) and then i'll see whats the better deal

i found a 4l60 on craigslist with 28k miles on it. its out of a 98 T/A it says make an offer so i might jump on that

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I call on you being able to rebuild a automatic transmission. If you could rebuild one you wouldnt be asking questions here. Its not as simple as you think.
    Buying a used transmission isnt going to be your best bet because you never really know the condition of it since its used. I would get a local shop to rebuild the 4l60e or buy a Performabuilt tranny from our sponsors.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

I call BS on you being able to rebuild a automatic transmission.
    i didnt say I was good at it. I only have done like 3 and 2 of them were with supervision at work. they all worked when they were done. i did get GM certified in the hands on part of trannies and the written test at school. but that was right after I did the class and that was almost a year ago.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    i didnt say I was good at it. I only have done like 3 and 2 of them were with supervision at work. they all worked when they were done. i did get GM certified in the hands on part of trannies and the written test at school. but that was right after I did the class and that was almost a year ago.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 03-03-2008 at 11:05 AM.

black
    2002 WS6

Well.. If you can find a used one for cheap, rebuild that one to get experiance and that way you can still drive your car and take your time doing the rebuild and do the rebuild right with a shift kit and performance parts.

Thread Information