Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

I need help with vibration please

I have a 99 TA and the rear end was rebuilt oh about 20 000 miles ago at 70 miles an hour it starts vibrating and at about 120mph or less it's not as bad or I'm just getting nervous and I can't feel it as much lol

No seriously though I checked the normal stuff ujoints pinion and wheel bearing tire balancing etc and everything is great. Could it be a drive shaft unbalanced or maybe a trans that is starting to go she shifts fine and seem to work great fluid in the trans is great I'm at a loss it is an auto....

What should I do from here ???

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Check your surfaces on the wheel, rotor face and the back side of the rotor face, axel or hub face. Then check wheel studs and make sure the threads are clean and not stripped. Check hubs and axels for play up down and side to side. also make sure there is no build up on the inside of the wheel or other parts.
    Last edited by JaycenK; 05-26-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Black

oK

I have checked everything but what do you mean by wheel surface and rotor face what do I check there everything is new so I'm not sure what to look for tyhe wheel studs are perfect no build up no flat spots on the tires etc no play in the axles

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

The flat surfaces that mate each part together. I don't know how to explain it because I am in the middle of a brain fart. lol .....uh the flat surfaces that all touch one another like the inside of the wheel face to the out side face of the rotor and then the inside face of the rotor that touches the front face of the axel where the studs come out of. If there is any build up like rust or gunk on any one spot of those parts it can cause a vibration because the wheel or one of the other parts is not mounted totally flat. Hope you can make sense of that if not I'm sorry. lol
    Another option is make sure there isn't a caliper slide sticking.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    The flat surfaces that mate each part together. I don't know how to explain it because I am in the middle of a brain fart. lol .....uh the flat surfaces that all touch one another like the inside of the wheel face to the out side face of the rotor and then the inside face of the rotor that touches the front face of the axel where the studs come out of. If there is any build up like rust or gunk on any one spot of those parts it can cause a vibration because the wheel or one of the other parts is not mounted totally flat. Hope you can make sense of that if not I'm sorry. lol
    Rotors should not cause an issue unless the brake is being applied at those speeds. Get some new ujoints and balance the driveshaft and see what happens. What tire pressure are you running?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Rotors should not cause an issue unless the brake is being applied at those speeds. Get some new ujoints and balance the driveshaft and see what happens. What tire pressure are you running?
    No not talking about warpped rotor or out of round, talking about a problem northern DD cars get because of salt. It can cause the flange or face of the axel to rust and then the wheel dosen't mount truely flush. Acts kind of like a bent steel wheel. Depending on how you bent them they would cause vibrations some times at low speeds or at high. Wish I could describe it better

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Its might be tire related. Did you have the tires "Road Force Balanced" or just regular balanced?

Black

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post

lol gOT IT CHECKED IT NOT THAT i'M GOING TO DO WHAT jOSH SAID AND CHANGE THE U JAINT AND THEN BALANCE DRIVE SHAFT

Black

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post

That is my next step 28lbs rear end was just checked and she is perfect thank god

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Its might be tire related. Did you have the tires "Road Force Balanced" or just regular balanced?

Was doing it with my old tires and I just put 18 back and 17 front Corvette wheels new tire and same thing so I think Josh is right I'll let you guys know thanks a lot for all the advice

Electric Blue Pearlcoat
    1995 Trans Am(LS1 Convert

Thats odd...My car does the exact same thing at about 70-80 it starts vibrating alot...if I keep on the gas even just a lil its not that bad but as soon as I let off the vibrating significantly increases. I have a 95...I have tried everything...I changed to an LS1 Aluminum drive shaft(never balanced though) I have gotten new u-joints, put 4.10 gears...re did all the rear end seal and all that...At that point I thought that it had to bee my wheels...but not so...I replaced them with brand new wheels and tires...still vibrates what gives...the tranny? Mine is a M6 so I dont f'n know!!!!

Thread Information