Artic white
    2001 Trans am

I need help just changed tranny mount!

well i just changed the tranny mount. i got the energy suspension tranny mount, it was my first time changing it. i raiseed the car from the rear, a friends told me to put the floor jack under the tranny for support. i did all that but when it came to putting the cross member it seemd like the tranny mount was to tall, and the cross member was sorta teder todering on it.
    so i jacked the tranny up a little and i was able to get the cross member back on. but now my car vibrates a lot an even soubds a lil different. could i have tighten the cross member to tight???

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Did you put the metal plates in or leave them out that come with the energy suspension mount?
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

seems to me you would've lifted the car more instead of lifting the tranny more to make the gap closer. its not installed right, I can definitely say that. got pics?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

When I installed my tranny mount I used the metal plate and I had a pretty god vibration. I took out the plate and ground down the two dimples on the bottom so it's the same height as the factory one. Vibration gone.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Your car will vibrate more with the polyeurathane mounts. They allow more vibration to pass through and even more noise. Mine sounds and vibrates more since I've put it in.

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Did you put the metal plates in or leave them out that come with the energy suspension mount?
    yea i did use the plate.

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

what would be the best way to install the tranny mount??

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    Your car will vibrate more with the polyeurathane mounts. They allow more vibration to pass through and even more noise. Mine sounds and vibrates more since I've put it in.
    They also vibrate more because the mount itself is taller,,,even without the plates,,,,so you are changing the driveshaft angle, which in turn causes vibrations.

Just as Mr. Barbor mentioned, removing the plate, and grinding down the bumps until the mount is at the same height as the original will eliminate the vibration issues. (been through this on several cars)

You will however just as you mentioned,,,still have the noise issue,,,since the tailshaft is now mounted more solid,,,so anything coming from the rearend transfers up through the torque arm and right inside the car.

Just one of the flaws of a torque arm setup.

What I did.......I found the new mount with the shim was 1/4 inch taller than the stock mount. Removing the shim which was an 1/8 inch thick gets you half way there. I then removed another 1/8 inch from the mount itself to get everything back in alignment.

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

any tips on how to put the cross member back on with out jacking up the tranny?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I suppose one could bolt the crossmember to the tranny and then jack the crossmember and tranny into place or are you trying to get away with not using a jack period?

I am unclear as much as I think Barber is....

I'm not sure what the real issue is here. Is there a reason you cannot raise the transmission up??? Generally that is a necessity in order to get the crossmember and all retaining bolts aligned before tightening anything.

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

sorry for being so vague. how far can you jack up the tranny? does the cross member keep you from having the tranny jacked up to high?

Black
    '99 TA

That poly mount is why you have rattles and vibration...Period. Your jack bled off a little letting the trans drop a little so it needed to be lifted back up. I ran my poly mount for ~ 25 miles then shit canned it for a new OEM. It's a crappy mod that is necessary for high hp/tq applications but alot of people put them on that don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by rcleveland@barrick.c View Post
    That poly mount is why you have rattles and vibration...Period. Your jack bled off a little letting the trans drop a little so it needed to be lifted back up. I ran my poly mount for ~ 25 miles then shit canned it for a new OEM. It's a crappy mod that is necessary for high hp/tq applications but alot of people put them on that don't need them.
    I guess you have never ripped them in half???? You must be one of the luckiest people I have met.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteLS1TA View Post
    sorry for being so vague. how far can you jack up the tranny? does the cross member keep you from having the tranny jacked up to high?
    You should be able to raise the tranny with ample room to work. Removing the cross member isn't even necessary.

After raising the transmission you can simply slide the old one out and slide the new one in.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

mine don't rattle or vibrate like every one says...

Black
    '99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I guess you have never ripped them in half???? You must be one of the luckiest people I have met.
    Read the post. You know all of it. Necessary if you need it. Alot don't. Must not have BIIIIIIIGGG HP like you..........Stud.

Read the post. You know all of it. Necessary if you need it. Alot don't. Must not have BIIIIIIIGGG HP like you..........Stud.
    I'm flattered,,,thanks. Actually I break them at stock HP levels,,,my stock 88 L98 Iroc broke one,,,with the automatic on the 1-2 upshift and it was no powerhouse

My wifes stock 97 Z-28 6-speed broke too,,,without trying too hard. It's easier to do with the stick cars and makes the poly mount almost a necessity stock or otherwise.

My 02 SS is an auto,,,,and it had torn the mount enough to make it bang against the floor,,,and it was a stocker at the time as well,,,at the time it only had 4 strip passes on it it's entire life.

It's just a fact that it's only a matter of time with the torque arm constantly lifting up on the transmission tailhousing.
    I've got more examples if you like.

Black
    '99 TA

Patriot LS6 CNC 243s~TR224 112~LS6 intake~SLP lid~Mac mids~ORY~BorlaMouth~Fuddle 3400 2.1 Stall~BFG DRs 275/40/17~UMI adj. TA~Tune by STS~BMR LCAs~BMR PHB~3.89 9" Moser

No problem Jones. This is my current setup and no issues with mine.

Patriot LS6 CNC 243s~TR224 112~LS6 intake~SLP lid~Mac mids~ORY~BorlaMouth~Fuddle 3400 2.1 Stall~BFG DRs 275/40/17~UMI adj. TA~Tune by STS~BMR LCAs~BMR PHB~3.89 9" Moser

No problem Jones. This is my current setup and no issues with mine.
    You are either the luckiest man alive,,,,drive like grandma,,,,,or your adjustable torque arm is no longer mounted to the transmission tailhousing.

Thread Information