Black
    2000 Trans Am

how to reduce the 9" whine?

My Moser 9" still whines. I had the ring and pinion replaced and respaced and it quieted down alot. There is even a big difference on how the car coasts when gas is not applied. Even tho its not nearly as bad as it was its still more than I want it to. Is there any additives or different type of fluid that I can add that will quiet it down some more?

Red
    2001 ws6

not sure, but not to take away from this thread, how much did the ring and pinion cost you??

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Do you have a limited slip? ie tru trac? If so then yes, you need to get the GM limited slip additive. That will help alot. Dont buy it from the dealership, Autozone should have it for 1/2 the price. Also, if its aftermarket gears (non OEM) which im sure they are, there going to be a tad more noisy. I beleive Strange is the only one using OEM gears and that just started recently. I could be mistaken on that though.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Black
    2000 Trans Am

They are the same brand that Moser uses. Yes it is tru track.

I think the gears were around $200

Thanks

They can be setup to be quiet, but there are other issues to take into account.
    Like for instance, have you swapped over to any aftermarket suspension parts during the rearend change???

Any type of solid control arm will transmit more noise whether it be the panhard bar or lower control arms. And even more so if you switch over to poly bushings. An aftermarket torque arm with a body mount will also transmit more noise throughout the car.

Torque arm setups are notorious for transmitting noise, especially with heim joints, poly bushings etc.. Once you start making things more solid underneath you will have more noise unfortunately since the torque arm is mounted around the ring and pinion area on the housing and then bolted somewhere (depending on setup) to the bottom of the car (thanks GM).

It's why these cars come with flimsy torque arms, and control arms, and soft rubber bushings. The noise is lost before it reaches the interior.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    They can be setup to be quiet, but there are other issues to take into account.
    Like for instance, have you swapped over to any aftermarket suspension parts during the rearend change???

Any type of solid control arm will transmit more noise whether it be the panhard bar or lower control arms. And even more so if you switch over to poly bushings. An aftermarket torque arm with a body mount will also transmit more noise throughout the car.

Torque arm setups are notorious for transmitting noise, especially with heim joints, poly bushings etc.. Once you start making things more solid underneath you will have more noise unfortunately since the torque arm is mounted around the ring and pinion area on the housing and then bolted somewhere (depending on setup) to the bottom of the car (thanks GM).

It's why these cars come with flimsy torque arms, and control arms, and soft rubber bushings. The noise is lost before it reaches the interior.
    Yes I have went to a UMI after market suspenion set up, All the Relocation Brackets & Control Arms have been switched out.

Gonna go out and get some additive and add this week and hopefully that will dull some of it.

Thanks
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by xzaero0 View Post
    Yes I have went to a UMI after market suspenion set up, All the Relocation Brackets & Control Arms have been switched out.

Gonna go out and get some additive and add this week and hopefully that will dull some of it.

Thanks
    Scott
    Then you are always going to have some noise unfortunately. Just the nature of the beast with all that solid suspension stuff. On a full purpose race car thats fine and accepted,,,on a street car it's a pain to live with every day.

I box my own control arms and panhard rods and keep the stock rubber bushings to purposely squench noise and keep a comfy quiet ride,,keeps the wife happy too since she drives one of them all the time

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I went cruising awhile ago and I dont think that its from the harshness of the suspension I think that its auctual gear whine. Its pretty loud between 10-0 while stopping. I'll see if I can get some video/ sound clips of it tomorrow and post them up.

What I mean is....

Even if there is the slightest amount of gear whine,,,the solid control arms and poly bushings will pick that up and transfer it throughout the car,,,making a gear whine much more noticable.
    If you take that same rearend that has the slightest amount of gear whine and bolt it in with soft factory rubber bushings, and even go as far as the stock flimsy control arms,,,,chances are good that same rearend would be as quiet as a mouse.

Mounting the rear solid with aftermarket pieces will transmit more gear noise, road noise etc...
    Even a bone stock low mile rearend that has never been opened and was quiet before, can transmit gear noise throughout the car with solid control arms and bushings. It's just physics,,,thats all.
    Doesn't necessarily mean your ring and pinion was setup incorrectly.

For instance, I only run a poly mount on the transmission mount, with the stock torque arm. But as soon as I installed a poly bushing for the torque arm mount I got instant noise from the rearend,,,,and it was transmitted right up through the center of the car. Now that noise was evidently always there,,,just couldn't hear it until I started mounting things up more solid.

You can try thicker gear oil but I don't believe that would cure it completely. It's just a necessary evil we have to live with when performance suspension parts are put in place. As long as it doesn't sound like a school bus I wouldn't worry too much

White
    1998 Camaro

I replaced my OEM rear axle housing with a moser 9" I also get a whine noise epically when I cruse around 75mph. But I also have UMI no adjustable rear pan-hand and lower control arms with sub frame connectors! Not to get off subject here but when I put in the 9" I have a notorious mystery noise when I go over bumps. I believe it is a clearance issue but I have already cut and made a small adapter piece for that big hunk of a adapter for the torque arm and I still get a contact noise when I go over a bump. ANY IDEAS!!!!
    -Aaron
    Mods: SLP Flowpac Cold Air Induction Package, 160 Thermo, TB bypass, SLP (Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywhell), Skip Shift Elminator, UMI (SFC, Tower Brace, LCA, Torque Arm, Panhand Bar), no cats, Moser 9" w/ 3.89 gears, 5.0 short throw, Strano Springs, Koni single adj, '94 OEM ZR-1 wheels

Black
    2000 Trans Am

So on some days this thing Whines like hell and on other days its barely noticeable.

Here is some video of highway cruising at about 60mph.
    My camera isnt the greatest so its not as audible as it is in real life but you can still hear it pretty well.

I'm thinking of having the gears replaced with a different brand, and possibly thinking of getting rid of this 9" and going with a 12 bolt of some kind.

black
    1998 trans am

My daily driver runs on the factory rear-end that as had strange axils and OEM gears (3.73)
    installed in it, it makes the same noise maybe not has load but the same has your youtube vide. Only susp mods are 1" drop
    The original setup broke the ring gear it never made any noise till it broke
    Not sure if this helps but

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Banana peels and sawdust both work to quite down a noisy rear... but I wouldn't recommend trying either. Just one of the temporary fixes my brother had to do at the used car dealership he worked for back in the late '80s.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I drove my car to Lincoln and back the other day, 140 miles at a little over 65 when I got out my ears were ringing.

black trans am

omg u guys need to take from the old hot roders... put thicker gear oil in it!!!! trust me it works and wont hurt any thing

Thread Information