Blog Entries

Black
    2000 Camero SS

Unhappy Hard to shift need help please!!

So I have a 2000 SS camaro with 64k, but recently my clutch kinda started sagging and whenever I engaged it , it wouldn't come up all the way nor shift very smooth specially trying to get it in reverse and first sometimes but every other gear was ok.... So somebody told me my master cylinder is going out so I got that replaced last week. My clutch doesn't sag anymore but I feel like shifting got even more difficult. I can't get in reverse for the life of me unless I really force it but nothing ever grinds it just does not want to go in. And first is even more of a pain in the ass now, I feel like the only time it kinda wants to go in is if I pump the clutch......can anyone help trying to find a solution for my problem???

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Have you checked the fluid level in the master cylinder? Is it full? If not, you have a leak somewhere. Typically, it's the slave cylinder that goes bad as well. The transmission needs to be dropped to replace that.

Blog Entries

Black
    2000 Camero SS

Ya the fluid was toped when he changed the master cylinder... but Ya that's what one of my buddies old man told me if I change out the master cylinder I should change the slave cylinder....but do u think that's what it could be just the slave cylinder? Cause my tranny seems pretty solid and so does my clutch and if I changed my master cylinder and would be the only other problem right? Someone else told me I could maybe have air in the line..?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes, I would start by making sure the system was bled correctly. If there is air in the system it can cause havoc. Also, keep an eye on the fluid and make sure you are not leaking anywhere. Low fluid will also cause issues with shifting.

Is the only problem shifting in reverse? Or other gears also?

Hydraulic issue would affect all gears. Is it easier to shift at lower RPM's than higher RPM's?

Blog Entries

Black
    2000 Camero SS

No just pretty much reverse and first sometimes but only when I'm at a complete stop...I really don't have any problems shifting when my cars moving...

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

thats because it don't take much clutch pressure to accuate the clutch to shift while moving. sitting still requires more clutch travel. and as far as reverse goes never force it to go. the t56 i have in my 04 gto has a carbon fiber shift fork. i have done broke it once under warranty. air in the lines will be your problem. or your new clutch is going bad. i have seen new out of the box not work at all. good luck...

Thread Information