Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue
    2000 camaro ss

good old 10bolt....

i was wondering what thoughts were on beefing up a 2000 ss anywhere from 430-450 hp on a stock rear end... pushing that thing too far? or should i be okay? and solutions for the weak rear end.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

from what ive heard from just about everyone is that "beefing" the stock 10 bolt on is like taking your money and flushing it down the toilet. most people go with moser 12 bolt or the ford 9" depending on transmission type

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Likely to be throwing your money away. Just use the money you had planned to use "beefing up the 10 bolt" and put it towards savings for a 12 bolt or a 9".
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agree.

Blue
    2000 camaro ss

alright. should i look into getting a new one? i mean that's 2 grand and not something i'm looking forward to. so any thoughts on finding a used one?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

You could find a used one. Buying a used rear end (12 bolt, 9") always seemed to be tricky to me. If the seller had the 12 bolt or 9", its a good chance it was abused in some way. That's not saying the rear cant hold it because that's what they are bought to do, it might have unknown problems. If you can find someone that still has the rear in car and is willing to let you drive with him to hear/feel the rearend's condition, that would be optimal, but unlikely.

I know dropping 2000+ in a rear end is not exciting at all. I have upwards to 3000$ in my Moser 9" and PST driveshaft after everything is taken into account. Fluids, paying for bearing pressing, paint, materials and little extras. Nothing is saying you MUST buy one right now, but with 450 (rwhp?).... That will probably force you to buy one sooner rather then later

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Moser 12 bolt - $2,800, Moser cover - $150.00, UMI suspension pieces - $600.00, PST driveshaft - $420.00, being able to stand on it at the track without worrying about popping the rear 2 hours from home... priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by camarospade View Post
    i was wondering what thoughts were on beefing up a 2000 ss anywhere from 430-450 hp on a stock rear end... pushing that thing too far? or should i be okay? and solutions for the weak rear end.
    Pffff, I've found these rearends breaking under stock power levels. I wouldn't even hesitate for an upgrade housing. When it comes to these 4th gens, start modding at the back of the car (with a good rearend) and then work forward.
    The hard part is getting past that $3,000 price tag. Unfortunately with these goofy torque arm rear ends you don't have alot of options.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

It's hard because dropping 3k on something that may not even make the car faster is heart breaking. Everyone wants to go fast, that's why we buy cars that can go from 0 - WOW in no time flat. Buying a Moser 9" with the same gearing as the stock rear is just like spending money now..... so you won't have to later. because if you plan on taking the car to the track you WILL eventually spend it. Hence my mod strategy....

cags eliminator
    subframes
    strut tower bar
    shocks
    springs
    end links
    lid
    drag bags

now i'm working toward finishing up the rear end. I'm hoping 2010 sees me acquire a

Moser 9" with 4.11's
    adjustable LCA's with relocation brackets
    adjustable TA
    watts link
    sway bars.

notice I haven't touched power in any way shape or form yet. I'm dumping tons of cash on all this yet i'll only be slightly faster than a stock hawk. The goal is to be certain the car can handle the power I WANT it to have down the line.

All this is a long way of saying. if you plan on putting down almost 500hp.... you bet your ass you are going to need a new rear.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by camarospade View Post
    I would do it just to see for myself what happens to a 10 bolt when it breaks,then I would upgrade. If I had a mustang, I'd build the power first, then upgrade when I broke the T5 trans. I may be goofy that way, but breaking stuff can be fun.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

It took blowing up 2 differentials and 3 sets of gears for me to finally upgrade to a Ford 9".
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    It's hard because dropping 3k on something that may not even make the car faster is heart breaking. Everyone wants to go fast, that's why we buy cars that can go from 0 - WOW in no time flat. Buying a Moser 9" with the same gearing as the stock rear is just like spending money now..... so you won't have to later. because if you plan on taking the car to the track you WILL eventually spend it. Hence my mod strategy....

cags eliminator
    subframes
    strut tower bar
    shocks
    springs
    end links
    lid
    drag bags

now i'm working toward finishing up the rear end. I'm hoping 2010 sees me acquire a

Moser 9" with 4.11's
    adjustable LCA's with relocation brackets
    adjustable TA
    watts link
    sway bars.

notice I haven't touched power in any way shape or form yet. I'm dumping tons of cash on all this yet i'll only be slightly faster than a stock hawk. The goal is to be certain the car can handle the power I WANT it to have down the line.

All this is a long way of saying. if you plan on putting down almost 500hp.... you bet your ass you are going to need a new rear.
    I've followed the same strategy. Mods in sig. It's the most difficult, but wisest way to go about it.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'd definetly look into something stronger as the others have said..Imho

A v6 can break a 10bolt, takes alittle longer cuz of the obvious power difference but it's repeated hard launches that eventually will kill it.. Something to think about maybe.. Just my .02...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

My 10 bolt with 3.73's seems to be holding up ok. However, i am going to be getting a 9" soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I would do it just to see for myself what happens to a 10 bolt when it breaks,then I would upgrade. If I had a mustang, I'd build the power first, then upgrade when I broke the T5 trans. I may be goofy that way, but breaking stuff can be fun.
    And it can be dangerous. I'll give you one of my own personal examples as to why I like to start with rearend upgrades first.....

At the track with my buddies LT1 355 built by Lingenfelter, 6 speed and nitto drag radials that were purposely aired up high to induce some wheel spin. Car was running 11.60's at 119 mph this night.

I made a pass in the car, came out clean, powershifting up through the gears, going for 3rd at probably 70 mph or so and something snapped in the rear. Pinion broke and shoved the driveshaft forward, which in turn broke the tailhousing off the back of the trans and ruined that too.
    Sprayed trans oil all over the track, which got on the back tires. At 70-80 mph that's not fun. Car skated around but I was lucky to keep it off the wall, and also didn't hit the car in the other lane.

It could have been much worse, totalling the car and possibly the car in the other lane as well. I had to change my shorts after that one.

Needless to say that little rearend mishap cost a transmission and driveshaft too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    To add to that, I agree on the mustang. That's why I've always liked that platform better to build from.
    Those 8.8 ford rears starting in 86 are stout little pieces. Been through a few of those, and they are very closely related to the GM 12 bolts in design and strength. Many little fox bodies going 9's on those rears.

T5's were a bit weak, but if treated properly I've seen some high 10 second mustangs on those things. One in particular was a UMTR winner a couple years ago, with a lady driving no less.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

While it seems to be working (for now) I've been through 2 10 bolts, 4 sets of gears and 3 posi's. I should've listened to what everybody else was saying. It adds up over time. Next time something fails or breaks I'm going for a 12 bolt.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    While it seems to be working (for now) I've been through 2 10 bolts, 4 sets of gears and 3 posi's. I should've listened to what everybody else was saying. It adds up over time. Next time something fails or breaks I'm going for a 12 bolt.
    Thats alot of headache.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Thats alot of headache.
    I've been racing the car (the 02) since I bought it 5 years ago. I expected stuff to break. I didn't expect it to be the same thing over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I've been racing the car (the 02) since I bought it 5 years ago. I expected stuff to break. I didn't expect it to be the same thing over and over.
    And that's an automatic too Jim isn't it???

Thread Information