Awaiting Activation

Going to need a new rear end

OK, I have been looking around the thread for some info. I know nothing about our rear ends (except that they suck). My rear was making some noise and it has gotten alot worst, since I took it to a shop. I figure I might as well get a new rear end that is stronger. I drive an '01 M6 thats pretty much stock. I would probably take it to the strip once in a while. What would you guys recommend? If possible include details not just the brand (remember I have no knowledge on rear ends) Thanks for your help.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

What are your future plans for the car? If you are planning on adding horsepower, then just be safe and buy yourself the 9". GM 12 bolts are great, but seem to work better for A4 cars, since they can pre-load the drivetrain while launching. M6 cars can not, and have broken 12 bolt rear axles while launching. Be safe, go with the 9". If you are not planning on not adding much power to the car, then stick with the 10 bolt. Replace the gears inside with something stronger, and to whatever size suits your ride, and then invest in a rear cover girdle to strengthen it even more. Everyone says our 10 bolts are garbage, but with almost 400 to the ground on my car, I never had a problem with mine till the day it was swapped.

Hope this all helps, if you search the forums, there is a shitload of information on here that should help you out. Best of luck!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Awaiting Activation
    Well for this summer I plan on putting headers, PCM, and maybe some minor stuff. But I am sure later down the road I will want more, but that probably wont be until 2 years from now.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    What are your future plans for the car? If you are planning on adding horsepower, then just be safe and buy yourself the 9". GM 12 bolts are great, but seem to work better for A4 cars, since they can pre-load the drivetrain while launching. M6 cars can not, and have broken 12 bolt rear axles while launching. Be safe, go with the 9". If you are not planning on not adding much power to the car, then stick with the 10 bolt. Replace the gears inside with something stronger, and to whatever size suits your ride, and then invest in a rear cover girdle to strengthen it even more. Everyone says our 10 bolts are garbage, but with almost 400 to the ground on my car, I never had a problem with mine till the day it was swapped.

Hope this all helps, if you search the forums, there is a shitload of information on here that should help you out. Best of luck!

the next 2.5k im gunna spend

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    the next 2.5k im gunna spend
    OHHHH I knew it!!!! You just wanna be like me!!! Whatever happened to combining our cars?!?!?! I'm hurt

Awaiting Activation
    Whats a good 9"? Any sites that sell them?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

OHHHH I knew it!!!! You just wanna be like me!!! Whatever happened to combining our cars?!?!?! I'm hurt
    i told you to drive out and we could drop it in. you said you didnt want to. And yes i am copying you. i want to be just like you when i grow up!!!!

dont be hurt, ill always have a special place for you in my................... passengers seat

or

drivers doesnt really matter

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

i told you to drive out and we could drop it in. you said you didnt want to. And yes i am copying you. i want to be just like you when i grow up!!!!

dont be hurt, ill always have a special place for you in my................... passengers seat

or

drivers doesnt really matter

Ok... I feel much better now.... Thanks!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by freddy_caprice View Post
    Whats a good 9"? Any sites that sell them?
    id go with Midwest chassis fabrication...a GREAT product there and i will be going that route when the time comes ....also i hate when people say the 10 bolt sucks..it doesnt..but i would assume you have done more then a couple of doughnuts and a few clutch dumps...and you say pretty much stock..but what are your mods ? ....go MCF and you will not regret it...do you know if the whine, noise is clunking or is it just gear noise ?

98' trans am

have you changed your gears? if you have and did install them properly or break them in right...they will whine and that is universal through out all rears

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Ok... I feel much better now.... Thanks!
    glad to hear it

Awaiting Activation
    No I have not changed gears at all. My mods are k&n filter and flowmaster catback. Nothing else has been done to my knowlege. Today I was driving on the highway and it got worst. The sounds was horrible, it acually hurt my ears. I will check into that product. What about Moser?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

No I have not changed gears at all. My mods are k&n filter and flowmaster catback. Nothing else has been done to my knowlege. Today I was driving on the highway and it got worst. The sounds was horrible, it acually hurt my ears. I will check into that product. What about Moser?
    Moser is the axle I went with. They are basically all the same no matter which one you choose... Moser, Strange, etc....

Awaiting Activation
    ok because Moser seems less expenisive. Now with the rear end what else would I need to make sure I am not missing any parts? Also are the 9" hard to install? I know the 12" are easier to swap.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

ok because Moser seems less expenisive. Now with the rear end what else would I need to make sure I am not missing any parts? Also are the 9" hard to install? I know the 12" are easier to swap.
    They are built as a direct bolt in part. They will give you a list of things you need to do the install, plus a list of options that your car is equipt with so they can make the correct axle for your vehicle.

98' trans am

on moser 12 bolt ..go moser 9

silver
    Trans Am

Talking

I have a killer deal on a new Moser 12 bolt.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jgang View Post
    I have a killer deal on a new Moser 12 bolt.
    how much?

silver
    Trans Am

how much?
    Well first off it has a spool (sorry) and 35 spline axles a girdle...4.56 pro gear...Wilwood discs.......all brand new.$1800.00 plus ride.
    It cost 2800.00 plus shipping when I got it.
    I also have an adjustable panhard bar,adjustable torque arm....all new.
    Last edited by jgang; 04-16-2009 at 05:26 PM.

Thread Information