Thread: Gears to HP

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Gears to HP

Ive seen some examples of this but wanted to get a better understanding from people who know better then i do. Can a 330rwhp camaro keep up with a 350rwhp camaro if the only difference between them is the 330rwhp camaro has 4.10 gears. Assuming both cars have the same equal mods meaning LT's and so on other then the fact that the 330rwhp has 4.10's and if we were to compare gears to hp and i know gears dont give you any rwhp or rwtq but for example and just to get an idea going to 4.10 gears from 3.42's how much rwhp can that be compared to. I wish i can put it better and more clear but this just came to mind and was curious.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Ive seen some examples of this but wanted to get a better understanding from people who know better then i do. Can a 330rwhp camaro keep up with a 350rwhp camaro if the only difference between them is the 330rwhp camaro has 4.10 gears. Assuming both cars have the same equal mods meaning LT's and so on other then the fact that the 330rwhp has 4.10's and if we were to compare gears to hp and i know gears dont give you any rwhp or rwtq but for example and just to get an idea going to 4.10 gears from 3.42's how much rwhp can that be compared to. I wish i can put it better and more clear but this just came to mind and was curious.
    best way i know to answer you...

two cars have same mods.. both have 323s.. they both run identical times and mph..
    at this time they both run 12.0@110

one changes to 410s, one goes to 373s..

the one with 410s now runs 11.7@110-111..
    the one with 373s now runs 11.85@111-112..

you can insert any gear you want and any mph, e/t that you want.. but that is the general idea of gears..

i would say it is safe to say that 410s over 323s could make up for 2/10s in the 1/8 max..

hope that helps..

None

Listen to Lems... Smart Guy!
    He knows way more then I ever will.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by SS02 View Post
    Listen to Lems... Smart Guy!
    He knows way more then I ever will.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

adding gears basically really doesnt do much in MPH gain just quicker times, if you can get good traction after the gears. Due to the 4.10 gears your driveshaft spins 4.10 times with one wheel rotation, or am i way off. Assuming if im right the motor will spin up quicker, either way .2 tenths in the quarter mile and about 1-2 mph gain is typical of gears? If for example two of the same cars were racing from 60-140 lets say not really a top end speed run but just a race and one car has 3.42's and other has 4.10's what would be your guess as to how many car lengths the car with the 4.10's will have by the time he hits 140mph compared to the car with 3.42's.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

adding gears basically really doesnt do much in MPH gain just quicker times, if you can get good traction after the gears. Due to the 4.10 gears your driveshaft spins 4.10 times with one wheel rotation, or am i way off. Assuming if im right the motor will spin up quicker, either way .2 tenths in the quarter mile and about 1-2 mph gain is typical of gears? If for example two of the same cars were racing from 60-140 lets say not really a top end speed run but just a race and one car has 3.42's and other has 4.10's what would be your guess as to how many car lengths the car with the 4.10's will have by the time he hits 140mph compared to the car with 3.42's.
    all gears do is get you there quicker, not faster... so by the time you get to the end of the 1/8 or 1/4 you will be there first with 410s over 373s but the person with 373s will be going faster when they get there.. of course this is in a perfect world..

it also gets you in your powerband faster (same as a stall, and a big reason they dont add much MPH if any).. just because someone has lower gears doesnt mean they will be faster.. same as with cam/stall etc.. everything has to compliment each other... 410s would compliment a 224/226 cam as much as they would a ms4... where 373s would compliment the 224/226 better than the ms4..

again.. these are not real world situations... but i will play along..
    if we are in a4s... the 410 geared car wont do 140... top speed will be around 135 (with a 26 inch tire... that is stock size)..
    with that said.. i would give 3/4 length to the 410 car up till about 115-120 or so.. and then after that it will get passed up by the 342 geared car..

you have to think... 2 tenths in the 1/8 could be as small of a margin as 1/2 a length (meaning his nose at your door).. 410s over 323s or 373s give you the advantage out of the hole and that is IT!!!!! keep this in mind.. up top the higher gears have the advantage..
    with that said... if you dont have the mods to get the tires to stick, no reason to go that low..

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I know there not camaro's and i looked all over for the same exact mod to mod with just different gearing on camaro's and couldnt find any vids. So i found this one that come close enough in regards to explaining why gears are so important. Well in this case especially for cars that rev past 8k.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

I know there not camaro's and i looked all over for the same exact mod to mod with just different gearing on camaro's and couldnt find any vids. So i found this one that come close enough in regards to explaining why gears are so important. Well in this case especially for cars that rev past 8k.

there was a lot more to that than gears.. you WILL NOT pick that much up from gears.. especially that small of a ratio.. that was driver error on the silver car..
    thats what im saying.. you cant base it off of something like that.. because in real world there are SOOOOOO many different variables.. the silver car might have a slipping clutch, might have been shifting earlier, might have boged off the line, might have spun a little, might have more weight in the car... there are SOOOO MANY different variables..

the one thing i can 100% tell you from that video is.. you WILL NOT pick that much up from gears.. especially that small of a ratio..
    you are talking a 1 car length max from 2.73s to 410s... granted traction... and granted a perfect world...

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ya its a bad example, i knew with gears its no were near that dramatic of a difference. Ive done gears in the past on my last 3 camaro's. The only time i raced another camaro with gears was 2nd gear and it was a immediate pull in that gear. Not sure if it wouldve made much of a difference once i got into 3rd gear or higher. Im just looking for it to get me to my power range quicker and feel better on the bottom end. So if i can achieve that through gears then im happy with that.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

can anyone help me with a good gear shop in southern cali, glendale area?

Thread Information