rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

gear install/noise question

Ok I'm sorry I'm sure these questions have prob been answered several times but I couldn't find the specific answers to my questions by digging around on here so here it goes.

I just called a ring and pinion seller on ebay and he explained to me that upgrading gears on a 2 series carrier will ALWAYS result in a loud ass whine when using aftermarket gears. He explained the only way to get by this is to buy the GM OEM 3 series gears he happens to sell and then buying a spacer..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-G...Q5fAccessories
    The thing is though I've always been told that the amount of whine you hear depends on the quality of the install and quality of the gear. So my question is should I buy a aftermarket 2-series carrier gear(motive,richmond..etc) or should I buy these used OEM GM gears w/the spacer. All you knowledgeable folks out there please set me straight.

Black
    1998 Z28

You posted back on March 13 a thread '4.10s' in A4',what ratio have you decided to go with ?
    Now to your post/questions/concerns. GM gears can probably be setup to attain the least amount of noise,but those GM gears can also be not quiet if setup is not correct.Most aftermarket gears can be set to a quiet level,some more difficult than others.
    Original GM rearends:when a 3.23 or 3.42 is supplied,GM uses a 3 series carrier,they don't use a 'thicker' gear or a 'spacer' with a 2 series carrier. If you're after GM quiet then do it the way GM does it.
    Many user of 'thick' gears on a 2 series carrier have had success.
    The ebay site you linked is for a used/pullout set(3.73s' and 4.10s' are used in S10/Blazers).It would highly probable that those gears would be more difficult to get quiet thean a new aftermarket set as setting it up to run in the already wore-in pattern is very difficult(time intensive changing shims and reading pattern).
    Avoid the spacer issue as if it's not parallel to .0001" and dimensionally consistent to 0001",lash will vary as the carrier rotates.And instead of 1 mating surface you now have 2 and that spacer moves the ring gear away from the carrier where it was designed to sit.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

thanks, Originally I had reasoned that those gears in the link would've been more difficult to get no noise out of since they were pull out and would require a spacer and since I knew gm doesn't use spacers for their 2-series carrier it seemed only logically that they prob. wouldn't work as well, but the person I spoke with confused me. As with my previous post I did get 3.73 but the person I bought them from wrongly sent me 3s instead of 2s. So now I'm gonna get another set but was just wondering which path to go with. Noise is a big concern for me and I must get it right the first time.

Black
    1998 Z28

I sent you a pm,but evidently it didn't go,checked my sent pm's and it wasn't there,so i'll pm you again.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

still hasn't gone

Black
    1998 Z28

2nd one didn't go either,pm me see if it goes in that direction.

Black
    1998 Z28

I pm'd you on another car forum that you joined March 11 and on which you haven't done any posts yet.

Thread Information