Thread: gear howl?

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

gear howl?

I just had Motive 3.90's installed. First impression.....i like the feel. It comes from a dead stop easier and it feels strong. I do have a "slight" howl sound at about 45mph. It resumes all the way to around 55mph and then kind of dissappears. Seems to be more faint when the foot is on the pedal. If it's below 45, it is quiet. Above 55mph, it is barely there.
    Should i be concerned with this? i put 250 miles on the new gears so far on the break in. I don't know if its something to worry about or if i need to call the shop up that installed to have them check this out. I keep hearing from randoms that the 3.90's are a different cut and can make some noise in that mph range.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Wondering if the shop put in the limited slip fluid additive.

Never messed with 3.90's.

I would give it till 500 miles to see if the noise goes away. It might be just the break in period.

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

That's a good question. I would think they would have, but who knows. They are a pretty reputable shop. I'll have to call and ask them. I'm most likely switching over to royal purple gear max when my 500 miles hits. Thanks for the reply.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Our Moser 12 bolt with 3.73's is a noisy S.O.B. under light cruise around 35-40 mph. The fact that we run a tunnel mount torque arm setup for the track does not help things at all as it transmits the sound directly into the cabin. It did quiet down some over time and I am now pretty much accustomed to it. Under acceleration or on the highway it makes zero noise.

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Our Moser 12 bolt with 3.73's is a noisy S.O.B. under light cruise around 35-40 mph. The fact that we run a tunnel mount torque arm setup for the track does not help things at all as it transmits the sound directly into the cabin. It did quiet down some over time and I am now pretty much accustomed to it. Under acceleration or on the highway it makes zero noise.
    Im starting to get the consensess that rears can just make some noise with aftermarket gears. Someone told me to do the break in period and then change the fluid out to something a little thicker. I think you recommended to me in a different post that you ran amsoil. Is that right? And what was it exactly? Amsoil severe gear synthetic or conventional. I see they have a whole bunch on their website and don't know what to go with.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would have to look, but "Severe Gear" seems to ring a bell. I think the consensus on here is to stick with conventional gear oil in rears that have the Torsen style posi. Ours has a True Trac, which is essentially a Torsen unit (no clutches - instead it uses helical cut gears). What posi do you have?

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I would have to look, but "Severe Gear" seems to ring a bell. I think the consensus on here is to stick with conventional gear oil in rears that have the Torsen style posi. Ours has a True Trac, which is essentially a Torsen unit (no clutches - instead it uses helical cut gears). What posi do you have?
    couldn't even tell you man. It's stock. 2001 SS. Whatever it came with that year. I saw that it should be a torsen.
    I heard conventional as well. I am calling amsoil today. I'm seeing a lot of synthetic oil on their site. I was having trouble finding conventional.
    If i do have a torsen, do i need the additive still? I hear you don't have to put it in, but some still do. I am making a trip back to the shop that installed the gears today. i want to see what they have to say about the howling.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

GM recommends using posi additive in their Torsen style rears (which is what you have) even though they do not contain clutches.

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Thanks man. i read a good article that Sarge had written up a while ago. Seems like his thoughts were very highly on Amsoil SG 75-110. However, this is a synthetic gear lube. I have heard that conventional is the way to go though. Im kinda torn between the Amsoil SG and just regular conventional. I guess i can try the Amsoil and see where it takes me.
    Thanks for the feedback man.

Thread Information