Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Free Driveshaft?!?!

I was told that if you went to a Chevy dealership and complained about the stock driveshaft rumbling, they would replace it with a carbon driveshaft (the ones in the 1LE's), kinda like a recall. Is this true? Anyone do this? Is it REALLY worth getting done irreguardless the cost and how much weight reduction is expected?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Haven't heard that one yet-I'd like to get one of those! Any reduction in rotating weight in the engine or drivetrain gives performance gains-like a lightened flywheel-lighter wheels and tires,etc.The engine doesn't have to use horsepower to spin these items up.There are always trade-offs most of the time but in the case of the driveshaft-as long as it's strong enough-the lighter the better.

Just BeClaus
    yes I have had my 2000 Z28 replaced for free under warrante about 2 years ago what a differance. The stock made a lot of twisting sounds when taking off normaly.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

so this is something to be replaced strictly under warranty, im assuming.

White
    98 Trans Am

the only thing i've heard of is i'm not sure if it was 93-97 or 98-02 but it might have been the early 4th gens that still had the steel driveshaft, if it vibrated at hight way speeds they would check it on a special machine and if it was true then they would give you the newer aluminum one on later 4th gens. never carbon fiber. something like that and they do check it that the problem exists.

It's a warranty issue if it's going to be replaced. A friend of mine had the Steel shaft in her Camaro. She was freeking out about the noise when she was on the interstate and took it in. They replaced it with the Aluminum one, then her BF mods the Fudge out of the car with a S/C when the warranty was up. Aluminum twisted and he sprung for a Carbon fibershaft. Gm doesn't make a carbonfibershaft. If they did it would be on the new Z06 for sure, the 1LE's had aluminum

White
    98 Trans Am

from what i heard about it it was not just warrantee thing. it was like a conditional recall so even cars after warrantee qualified as long as the problem was found to actually exist. that's what i understood when i read the recall notice on some site. just google it and try to find the actual terms of the recall.

Thread Information