Thread: Ford 8.8

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Ford 8.8

Doing some research on rear ends and came across a guy selling a ford 8.8 inch rear end on eBay that he sets up in his shop with all the mounting brackets to fit F-body's, choice of gear, new axles, the last one sold for $670 , I don't know enough about them has anyone used them?how tough are they? Any help to put away in my info book
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I do not want to swoop in on your deal but if it is all set up for an F-body then I would say it may be too good to be true. If you don't buy it then I will. I think they are pretty tough. They have to be stronger then the wimpy 7.5 10 bolts our cars came with.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Check with member SMWS6TA. He was in the process of building a 8.8 rear for his F-body awhile back.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

An 8.8 is a solid upgrade. Lot of work to make one fit our cars, so that price seems a little suspect even if it were just a bare housing, much less a complete axle assembly.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I won't scoop it form under you but please send me a link. That price seems a little low. I spent $480 on my 31 spline axles alone from Moser. I've got about $1900 invested in mine but I've had to make some tools and have a machine shop do some work so that is about $375 of the price.

To answer your question. Yes 8.8's are worth it. I would have to see some pics of his set up to know if it would work with a f body.

There are a couple of ways to do this.

One is keeping the torque arm set up like the 10 bolt. This leads to some questions though. One is how was the bracket welded to the pumpkin? The pumpkin is made of with iron and requires a special welding technique in order for the welds to hold.

If it's set up like mine, I going for a ladder bar set up. If they are doing it this way I again have some more questions, but would need to see pics in order to help you ask them.

Here is my build thread. There is a lot of good solid info you could use, It's a long read but worth it.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

I haven't quit on this yet, just that I'm at a temporary stop because I did something stupid last Thanksgiving with my motor and I'm still waiting to get it fix. There is one other vehicle ahead in priority that has to be finished first.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me or ask me in my thread.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I do not want to swoop in on your deal but if it is all set up for an F-body then I would say it may be too good to be true. If you don't buy it then I will. I think they are pretty tough. They have to be stronger then the wimpy 7.5 10 bolts our cars came with.
    I can give you the info for the shop from the ad and you can contact them for a build. Here is what you get included: 8.8 Ford rear end, 31 spline moser axles, track-lock posi unit, TA rear cover, Ford motor sport gear choice of ratio, new brackets and axle tubes, new pinion yoke, use your own brakes.
    Direct Bolt in replacement for the 7.5 GM under 1993-2002 Camaros & Trans Am.

PHONE: 864-855-0455 ALT PHONE 864-982-8477
    WEB: Lindsey's Ring and Pinion Service and Sales - Home

that is all I have let me know how you make out..the winning bid was $629.99 it had 18 bids

Navy Blue Metallic

Ok, looking at the pic you need to ask how was it welded to the pumpkin? This matters a lot!!!

I think they were hoping it would have gone higher in bids they show $2150 for cost.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Ok, looking at the pic you need to ask how was it welded to the pumpkin? This matters a lot!!!

I think they were hoping it would have gone higher in bids they show $2150 for cost.
    I see that price on their site, I bet that is why they haven't relisted it! Isn't a moser some where around $2300+ a few?
    I thought that was cheep that is why I was asking, I'm not in the market this year my budget is already spent for the year. But if anyone interested keep checking eBay you never know maybe they will relist it...

Navy Blue Metallic

Yes it is.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Moser 12 bolt with a True Trac, 33 spline axles, welded sway bar and relocation brackets was $2,800.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    That is a serious important question. . . .

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

nice looking product from the one (small) picture they have on their site. but I am thinking for a few dollars (compared to the price on their site) more you can buy a 12 bolt from a respected manufacturer.

Thread Information