Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Is a factory hurst shifter That much better?

Just wondering. I'm looking for an M6 and I want to know if it is some thing I should look for. Or, should I just take what I can get?

It's personal preference.

I've had a pair of 6 speed cars,,,,and current car has the factory Hurst shifter.

Previous car was stock shifter,,,,a little sloppy but I could hang gears fine. I then installed an aftermarket Hust Billet Plus shifter and hated it. It was too damn notchy and the H-pattern felt as though it was offset and I couldn't hit 3rd if my life depended on it,,,so it came back out,,,stock sloppy shifter went back in and all was good.

Now with current 6-speed, it has the factory Hurst shifter. The throws are definately shorter,,,,feels pretty good, H-pattern feels like it should, pretty smooth overall and it definately feels better than the billet plus they offer. I'll probably just stay with this shifter, it has a pretty smooth action.

But that doesn't mean I would pass on a 6-speed car though just because it's not factory Hurst equipped. There are many other aftermarket shifters out there that would probably suit your needs.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Thanks for the full review. I couldn't have asked for a better review.
    If I get an M6 I'll mess with it very little(mods that is). My 02 A4 is still going to get most of my attention. So I will probably not want to put money into an aftermarket shifter.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I had a stock Hurst on my car and switched to a Pro 5.0 with a WS6 store short stick. WELL worth the money. The pro 5.0 prevents the missed 2-3 shift and just feels like a beefier shifter. Firmer shifts and with the short stick, very fast to shift.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

how much do they cost?
    How hard are they to install?

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Kup98ss View Post
    how much do they cost?
    How hard are they to install?
    Shifter $152 shipped on ebay, handle $17 from WS6 store. Very easy to install takes about an hour to do. Good install instructions on install university or look on the net for a few others with step by step instructions with pics.

I would recommend to drive the car first and see how the shifter feels to you. Everyones opinion on what they want in shifter feel is different.

My opinion probably varies greatly from most people here on this site simply because I grew up and still drive good old muncies with comp plus shifters that are butter smooth.
    All of these T56 6-speeds that I have driven feel notchy to me compared to muncies,,,,and I never could find a shifter I was completely satisfied with that gave me the feel I like.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

an hr to install taking your time the first time.....its so easy once uve done it once the 2nd time would prolly only take u 20 min ...well worth mod as well in my opinion....the stock shifter is a weak piece of shit

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    an hr to install taking your time the first time.....its so easy once uve done it once the 2nd time would prolly only take u 20 min ...well worth mod as well in my opinion....the stock shifter is a weak piece of shit
    Here is a perfect example,,,,someone that doesn't like the stock shifter.

I found in my first 6 speed car the stock shifter was great,,,of course I bought this car new and it was taken care of. Hard to tell what these cars have been through over the years now. I would imagine with alot of miles and abuse the stock shifter may feel pretty crappy.

Like I mentioned I tried an aftermarket Billet plus and hated it in this car. Went back to the stock shifter. I never broke it,,,,never missed a gear,,,,ran the car at several UMTR races round after round and was very consistent with it. I was all over the place with the Billet Plus. Drove a pro 5.0 equipped car and it felt notchy too. I guess it's a matter of what you can get comfortable with.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

i felt the stocker was much to sloppy and for under 200 bucks that can be fixed.....lucky my 2nd z came with an aftermarket one...not sure what shifter it is but i love it.....its directional towards the driver....i would guess its a hurst since lpe installed it

red
    1998 z28

i think stock is better.
    Chevy - Camaro and other cars video collection

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Black 2002 Trans Am WS6

I like my stock Hurst shifter!!
    Black 02 Trans Am WS6 M6 SLP Lid, Bassani Stainless Headers & Y-Pipe w/o Cats, Borla Exhaust, BMR-STB, LCAs & Reloc. Brackets, Panhard Bar, & SFCs, Eibach Pro-kit With Bilsteins, BF Goodrich G Force KDWs, Optima Yellow Top, 5% Tint, Blackouts, Clear Side Lights, H-7 Headlights much more to come!

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Stock hurst vs pro 5.0

I have a 2001 ws6 and just had the tranny done my D&D all new gears,steel shift forks the whole shootin match, it cost me $2900 and thats me takin it out myself, anyway......the guy that built it told me it would be a good idea to put a pro 5.0 in it, and it will not only be a night and day difference but also it will stop the missed shifts and wont damage the tranny when slamming the gears at the track......is that really all tru?....I mean for what they cost it seems like its something I really should get for what im gonna get out of it....and I just dont see how it makes that big a difference, the shifter isnt any shorter I dont think because people on here say they order the pro 5.0 and a shortened shaft....what should I do?

I would find some buddies with aftermarket shifters and ask to go for a spin. I've done that a couple of times.

You can get a feel for what you like personally.

My opinion??? It didn't matter to me what shifter was in a T-56,,,they all feel notchy to me. As far as missed shifts??? I never had a problem with the stock sloppy shifter,,,as a matter of fact it felt the best to me.
    I've had the aftermarket Hurst and didn't care for it. Current car now has the factory option hurst shifter,,,and it's okay I guess. Still a very notchy transmission.
    I never liked the pro 5.0 shifter and I don't care for any of the short sticks. Way to close to the console to be comfortable for me and I always thought they looked silly,,,all you could see was a knob poking out of the rubber boot. Kinda strange to me. The factory Hurst is about as short as I can stand it without looking goofy. To each their own I guess.

black
    2000 camaro ss

stay away from the b&m ripper imo. i hate mine and i'm going to be slaping my factory hurst back in.

You would be surprised how much replacing the stock shifter/stock hurst stick with an aftermarket stick changes the feel of the shifter. Much cheaper to replace the stick too. The stock shifters have rubber bushings where the stick mounts to the shifter base. That rubber gives it the mushy feeling that most people hate. A stock hurst with an aftermarket stick has an excellent feel to it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Firebirdjones
    I agree about how notchy the T56 is compared to the Oldschool Rod link set ups found on Musclecars. My Brother has a `70 GTX w/Pistol Grip and its smooth compared to my F-Body. Probably due to the internal rail system used on these new transmissions.

I have a Hurst Billet Plus with a Lou's Short Stick and I removed 2 of the 4 centering springs inside the shifter. Removing the springs was easy (optional part of the instructions) and reduced but didn't eliminate the notchyness.
    I mainly did this to ease up movement because of the reduced leverage of the Short Stick but the reduced notchy feel was an added benifit.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

When I bought my TA it had the factory shifter which was ok. I then bought a Factory Hurst shifter which was better. Has a better feel to it. Now I have the Pro 5.0 with shirt stick and that is AWESOME. Handles better and the throws are so short that you can practically switch gears with the just the movement of your wrist. The Pro 5.0 is well worth the money IMO.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I have a pro 5.0 and my buddy has the factory hurst in his 01 ws6, really they both felt about the same. Just my honest opinion from first hand experience.

Ya I've driven the Pro 5.0 shifted T-56's before. It was just too short for me. My elbow kept pounding the console on the 2-4-6 gear shifts and it was also very awkward with a drink in the cup holder. Only thing that made it better was raising the seat up,,,but then I felt like I was driving my truck and my head was too close to the roof. Don't know why GM designed the back of that console higher than the front,,,if it were more level it wouldn't be a problem for me.

The factory hurst is about as short as I can deal with and be comfortable. The leather knob adds about another 2 inches to the length, any shorter and it would give me fits comfort wise. I can still shift the gears with a flip of the wrist which is nice when a drink is in the holder. I'll probably stick with this combination, wife seems to like it as well.

What I liked about the billet plus shifter I used to have in there was the fact that it came with a longer stick,,,even longer than a stock (non hurst) shifter. That was much more comfortable to me as far as the elbow and console problems, I just didn't like the feel of that shifter at all.

I still have it in the box on the shelf if anyone is interested. Was in the car for about 500 miles.

Thread Information