allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

Eaton Exploded(why)

WELL I BUILT UP MY 10 BOLT AND GOT THE RING AND PINION LIFE UP...BUT LAST WEEKEND I BLEW UP MY DIFF..THE EATON BLEW UP INTO HUNDREDS OF PIECES AND NOW IM NOT GOING TO F AROUND ANYMORE WITH IT...BUT WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE LIMITED SLIP TO BLOW UP AND NOT THE RING GEAR.I THOUGHT EATON WAS THE SHIZNIT.TIME FOR A 12 BOLT...I BOUGHT A USED 10 BOLT FOR $200 AND HOPE IT WONT BREAK IF IM NICE TO IT.....COULD I STILL DRIVE MILDLY AGRESSIVE AND HOPE IT WONT BREAK...ARE THERE ANY PERTICULAR PRECAUTIONS TO ABIDE BY..PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS I WILL SERIOUSLY CONSIDER YOUR IDEAS>THANKS ALL

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

was the Eaton new? was the gear new? was it all professionally installed? did you have a solid pinion bearing spacer instead of the crush sleeve? was the pin bolt in good shape and locktighted when installed? were the bearing caps still tight?......... there's many reasons for this to happen as you can see. my guess is there was a pin bolt failure somehow and it went catostrophic from there. these are all things to do to the 10 bolt to make it live. use all new Timken brand bearings and use the LPW girdle along with synthetic gear lube. mind you that if you are on stickys and launch aggressively with a clutch or transbrake that the 7.5 10 bolt will fail sooner or later. most people break the gear or carrier. once that is holding up, you will snap an axle. and when that axle snaps, hold on!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Been said for years. You can't build up a 10 bolt... Lesson learned.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

lol if you build up a baby dick v6 rear end...its still a v6 rear in the end... gm really kicked us in the nuts with that one

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

HAHA LOL....the eaton was new gears new,old axles ,new seals bearings...no solid spacer...professionally build....i just beat it hard....but the spider gears were catastrophic..i mean f'd up beyond fubar..so i said f it.

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

side gears or pinion gears burnt up?

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    lol if you build up a baby dick v6 rear end...its still a v6 rear in the end... gm really kicked us in the nuts with that one
    Oh I disagree with you on that one lil bud! N-bodys were pretty exceptional to amounts of stress!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

n-bodies..like the 175hp grand am gt? ..i guess i'm not sure what your saying? yea for a v6 the rear is good..but for a 350hp v8..pushing it.

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

I can see a v6 giving it all its got and probly wouldnt break the 10 bolt...the ls1 can spin them tires good off the line and when it grabs BBBBOOOOOOMMMM!!!!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

10 BOLT's ARE ALL JUNK!!!!!

Your basically pissing in the wind!!!!
    I would also have to agree with the the other response about the cross pin failure......If you have to stay on a tight budget and use a 10 bolt I've personally had alot better luck with the B.O.P. style 10 bolts that DON'T use GM's Pussy Ass C-clips to hold the axles in!!! I,ve brocken c-clips while motoring down the track which lead to cross pin failure and then carrier failure.....The carrier is what youe "Eaten" was.
    Anyways if you can't get the B.O.P. style I would purchase some c-clip eliminators for sure and a MUST is a aftermarket hardened cross-pin and the girdle/cover will help with housing flex.
    That's my 2 cents.....

Thread Information