Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driveshalft

Black

Driveshalft

Where or who is the the best place to get a new stronger driveshalft need some names.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I run a PST carbon fiber driveshaft. Very strong and light. Never had an issue with it.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I run the PST steel one. PST is where I'd look.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Btw - PST stands for Precision Shaft Technology

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Just see you're local driveline shop, i don't want to get started with the china mentioned already

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

China? Funny. Mine was made in Clearwater, Florida. And, if it's good enough for SE Division CT1 Champion Powerhouse Racing's Corvette, and other teams, I suppose it's good enough for my car. To each their own.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Again i know where pst is in the U.S., the parts they use are from china, unless you had your shaft made more than 5 years ago.

It has been seen and proven on another board, go see the thread there. . . If you aren't the big name, you aren't getting the same thing...

Again the evidence and proof is in the thread on another forum, google PST claims 1000hp.... read it, tens of people have the same issues.

See your local driveline shop, and even then, make sure you tell them no china, you have been warned.
    Last edited by Supershafts; 05-11-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I guess I'm simply going by my experience, as well as everyone else I know who has one. None of us has ever had a problem. Mine is older than five years. But, I know many who have newer ones. I'm not exactly sure where your problem with "china" parts comes from, if you're simply using that term in a negative connotation to describe inferior parts assuming they must be foriegn. I've seen many inferior American made parts, that I would never use or recommend.

That said, I base my recommendations off personal experience, and others I know personally. If you plan to run a 1000 hp car, I'd recommend contacting a manufacturer to discuss your need. While something may be rated for a certain hp, every application will be different. Mine seems to be able to more than adequately handle around 450 hp, and Jon's around 500 hp.

I stand behind my recommendation. That's not to say that other brands aren't as good.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

PST aluminum driveshaft here -- no complaints:

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I guess I'm simply going by my experience, as well as everyone else I know who has one. None of us has ever had a problem. Mine is older than five years. But, I know many who have newer ones. I'm not exactly sure where your problem with "china" parts comes from, if you're simply using that term in a negative connotation to describe inferior parts assuming they must be foriegn. I've seen many inferior American made parts, that I would never use or recommend.

That said, I base my recommendations off personal experience, and others I know personally. If you plan to run a 1000 hp car, I'd recommend contacting a manufacturer to discuss your need. While something may be rated for a certain hp, every application will be different. Mine seems to be able to more than adequately handle around 450 hp, and Jon's around 500 hp.

I stand behind my recommendation. That's not to say that other brands aren't as good.

Last time, go and see another VERY VERY popular board for this and search that thread, and you'll see the FACT not here say about this very company, when in FACT there are numerous people with the same car as you, even more so on that board and many have the problem and many have had the same problem and had them only replace with the same part. . . and NOT one of them was making the 1000hp THAT they made the claim it could handle. . . (you also have the non china years)

If you feel comfortable paying for good advertizing and want to over pay for $8 china parts...

Then spend your money with a place in florida, otherwise i recommend visiting your local driveline shop and having them make you one rather than get caught up in advertizing bs, and also....

Make sure and ask them no china either... In this industry it is everywhere, again you have been warned and i have seen and fixed more of the big advertizing shops than you can ever tell me different about.
    Please don't make a comment about china being better than U.S. made, besides for doing driveline work i also build motors the china issue gets worse than you have an idea about.

Any made in U.S. claim really needs to be looked into and with enough effort many are LIES and also being made in china...
    If i showed you a real U.S. made part and china made part you're eye 90% of the time couldn't pick out the difference, but the micrometer will, and so will the fit and so will the use eventually show thru.

Worse is that in this specific issue these companies took U.S. made stuff and had them copied by china.

There are many issues why not to, but everyone finds an excuse.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Well, let's see. I tried searching some for these problems. Especially on the other forum. Seems as though Bob from Brute Speed and Eric from Midwest Chassis both recommend PST. Neither one have ever heard or had any problems. I suspect most people who have had problems did not install them properly, or had other issues they were not aware of that caused problems - ie. exhaust or other componants contacting the driveshaft, improper length, improper u-joints, ect. I would recommend the OP check all those things as well.

Any manufacturer can have a faulty product. It happens. To generalize something as being "china" and bad, that sounds more like racism to me. As I said, I've seen bad parts and good parts from all over the world. So where do we draw the line? No German parts? No parts from anywhere outside the US?

The OP can do his research, and I suggest anyone do before making a purchase. But, he has three recommendations from members here for a brand they personally use, and he has your recommendation. Other members may post a different brand they would recommend. Then, the decision lies with the OP. If the OP has any questions, please ask them.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS:2774977
    I run the PST steel one. PST is where I'd look.
    Sorry, I meant aluminum. I have the same one Jeff is running. I had my other Camaro on my mind when I wrote steel.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Well, let's see. I tried searching some for these problems. Especially on the other forum. Seems as though Bob from Brute Speed and Eric from Midwest Chassis both recommend PST. Neither one have ever heard or had any problems. I suspect most people who have had problems did not install them properly, or had other issues they were not aware of that caused problems - ie. exhaust or other componants contacting the driveshaft, improper length, improper u-joints, ect. I would recommend the OP check all those things as well.

Any manufacturer can have a faulty product. It happens. To generalize something as being "china" and bad, that sounds more like racism to me. As I said, I've seen bad parts and good parts from all over the world. So where do we draw the line? No German parts? No parts from anywhere outside the US?

The OP can do his research, and I suggest anyone do before making a purchase. But, he has three recommendations from members here for a brand they personally use, and he has your recommendation. Other members may post a different brand they would recommend. Then, the decision lies with the OP. If the OP has any questions, please ask them.

Oh i know Bob remembers that thread very well and was the only one to call and then come back to the thread and said he would only use the right parts after that long discussion on the board that he wasn't aware of. . .

IT HAD NOTHING to do with installation.... I guess that they removed that entire thread if you can't find it, the issue was the china material and that is FACT, not installation not driver error. Wish i could remember the members names that all had the same problem, and it was a few

Bottom line pst said there shaft handles 1000hp, yet several members had the china parts break with less than half, there answer was to send them new china parts even though they sold them shafts at U.S. prices...
    If you're fine with that, then whatever, the OP may want to know that he/she is better off dealing with there local shop and not getting involved with advertizing

As for china stuff, i have yet to see any non problematic china stuff directly related to driveline which is my industry, it is all varying in dimension and has many other issues in the treating processes whether it's driveshaft parts specifically or differential copy cat products gears, lockers, limited slips or engine cranks, rods, and the related.

The op has 3 recommendations from 3 people who did not know what is really going on and of the situation with that recommendation, and NOW he/she has all the facts.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Mine has been flawless for the last 3 years. Don't see where OP claimed he was going to be running 1000hp so all the talk about 1000hp claims is a moot point regardless of whether it's fact or fiction.

I'm only at 500rwhp and around 440rwtq and I beat the shit out of mine on occassion. I don't frequent the strip all the time though.

Bought mine from Bob at EPP aka Brute Speed now back in 2008. His recommendation.

I will agree though that a local, reputable drive line shop can make you one as well. I had my POS 2 piece DS in my 96 Camaro break and went with this route. Cost was 100 out the door for a new, one-piece steel DS and had no problems other than it becoming out of balance a few months later, but that was due to the exhaust work I had done.

I do have an OEM drive shaft from a 2002 Camaro SS sitting in my basement if anyone is interested

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
    The op has 3 recommendations from 3 people who did not know what is really going on and of the situation with that recommendation, and NOW he/she has all the facts.
    I would ask that you not insult members of this board, or myself with such statements. Bob from Brute Speed, and Eric from Midwest Chassis currently recommend PST driveshafts. If there was such a problem with them, apparently it no longer exists, or was a problem related to installation - but you seem to be quite sure it was not. Strange two leading individuals in the drivetrain business would recommend an inferior product. Maybe they just buy into the advertising as well.

I would also ask that you refrain from using racist remarks, generalizing inferior parts as "china parts". That kind of talk has no place here.

As Jon, and you, have stated, a local driveline shop can fabricate a driveshaft as well. It's another option for the OP. As I stated, it would be wise for the OP to investigate what would be best for his situation. Contact any manufacturer, and explain what is needed. Get their input. Then, base a decision on that.

Black

Wow haha. I wish I was talking about what drive shaft to use because I had a 1000hp ha. I was dyno at 562 on the spray. So way off from 1000. But thank you guys for all the info.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by speedy30 View Post
    Wow haha. I wish I was talking about what drive shaft to use because I had a 1000hp ha. I was dyno at 562 on the spray. So way off from 1000. But thank you guys for all the info.
    Most of us wouldn't mind that problem either

That's still a very respectable number. Don't be afraid to contact some shops and manufacturers to see what they'd recommend as well.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Sorry, I meant aluminum. I have the same one Jeff is running. I had my other Camaro on my mind when I wrote steel.

I thought yours was aluminum so your original post kind of threw me.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02:2775299
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

I thought yours was aluminum so your original post kind of threw me.
    I must have been drinking when I replied

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I have a steel shaft It's from Strange, ordered it with my rear.
    Callies 383, Trick Flow 225, Rapid Motorsports Dominatior 2 X cam, ls6 ported oil pump,42lb injectors, FAST 92/92 , ASP underdrive pully, eletric water pump, Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, Magnaflow catback, e-cutout, Yank SS 3600, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60e, Strange S60 ,4.10s, Detroit Truetrac, (UMI) - Adj. LCA, Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, Adj. panhard bar, Drag bar, subframe conectors, shock tower brace. 465rwhp-438rwtq 11.09@119.90.

Thread Information