White
    02 WS6

Driver's Side Axle....

I'm on my way back home yesterday, and I start getting what sounds like a brake squeal outta the left rear. This doesn't make any sense as there is only about 2k miles on the brakes. As I get off the highway, and start running through towns, I realize if I go through a turn and load the car one way, the squeal goes away, load it the other way, and it awful. Once I get home, I get the left rear up in the air, and the whole wheel assembly shifts back and forth about a 1/2 inch. I'm thinking the c-clip axle retainer may have let loose, but wouldn't the whole axle just fly out if that was the case? Btw, the noise was the rotor shifting all the way into caliper and rubbing.

thanks
    dale

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

It's very difficult for the c-clip to come loose since there is a block bolted in the middle of the posi that keeps the axles from sliding inward and allowing the c-clip to drop out. If the c-clip had come off then the axle would pull out (the whole wheel would only be held to the car by the brake line). Pull the rear cover off and see if the axle is sliding inward and see just how it is doing it. Something must be up with that block for it to allow the axle to slide inward enough to allow it to hit like that.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Hey I just had to install my 9" and I needed the e-brake mounts from my last rear and I think they bolted to the rear itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

White
    02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    It's very difficult for the c-clip to come loose since there is a block bolted in the middle of the posi that keeps the axles from sliding inward and allowing the c-clip to drop out. If the c-clip had come off then the axle would pull out (the whole wheel would only be held to the car by the brake line). Pull the rear cover off and see if the axle is sliding inward and see just how it is doing it. Something must be up with that block for it to allow the axle to slide inward enough to allow it to hit like that.
    I see what you're saying, and I will take a look. It looked to be only the caliper holding the wheel on. Also, the car had been in a pretty tough wreck, and the rear end took a lot of side load. I'm "thinking" that between the wreck, and the routine 130 mph runs I now make around here might be the culprit.

thanks!
    dale

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yep take that cover off and check things.

Bright Red

The factory e-brake brackets are part of the bracket that bolts around the LCA at the rear. My MWC had the e-brake brakets welded to it.

If it took a hard hit to the side there is no telling what it screwed up in the rear but I would hope they would have replaced the axle and internals if the rear was screwed up...

White
    02 WS6

Thanks for all the info, guys. I'm waiting on a day w/o rain so I can pull the car around back and pull both tires to compare everything. I'll let'cha know what I find...maybe it'll help someone else out in the future.

dale

White
    02 WS6

So I finally got a day to take it apart again. I've definitely got a broken c-clip, 'cause the axle came straight out. I looked over the axle, and the outer bearings need to be replaced..the axle is pitted right there. So, new clip, new axle, new outer bearings, new outer seal, new rear end gasket, and new gear oil (75w90???). Am I missing anything else? I'll be doing this in my driveway once I get everything, so ANY advice you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

thanks!
    dale

Bright Red

Don't forget the limited slip additive (friction modifier.) Just because the gear lube says it has it in it, it's always a good idea to add some to avoid chatter.

Are you in Germany? Just noticed it said you were. If you were here I might be able to help but shipping on an axle to Germany would be more than a used axle is worth!

White
    02 WS6

Don't forget the limited slip additive (friction modifier.) Just because the gear lube says it has it in it, it's always a good idea to add some to avoid chatter.

Are you in Germany? Just noticed it said you were. If you were here I might be able to help but shipping on an axle to Germany would be more than a used axle is worth!
    I have an APO box...it's the exact same as shipping in the states. It only requires a customs form. If you've got one that is in good shape, and is for a car with Traction Control...let me know! Also...I"ve got a tube of the additive out in the garage. The movers aren't supposed to pack stuff like that..but they did...

dale

Bright Red

Sending you a PM...

White
    02 WS6

Sending you a PM...
    Back at'cha...and thanks!

dale

Thread Information