Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

does anyone rebuild T56's?

I have a 2001 WS6 with 112k miles and just bought it a month ago, had carfax on it and never anything big wrong, when I bought it 5th gear grinded a bit when it went into geat thats it...well I took it to the track last week and it actually went 13.08 with 2.06 60ft and all I have is hooker aerochamber muffler,slp lid,mac filter, mass air descreened, and msd plug wires....well on the way home I raced a vette and I was topped out speedo was topped and it popped out of 6th and wouldnt go into any gear till I was down to about 50 mph...now it is like stuck in direct drive, like there is no neutral or anything, I can hold my clutch down and it idles, but when shifter is in any gear or neutral its actually in 5th gear I think....well I figure its blown and Im taking it out this week, but I cant find any shops that rebuild them, and one wanted 2900 to rebuild it, and they have them brand new in summit for $2400....what do I do?......I live in illinois about 30 minutes from St.Louis....any help would be great!

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I have had mine rebuilt by sixspeedsinc and it cost me just under 1000 (they did free shipping then). Though your problem might be something like the clutch or master/slave instead of the actual tranny.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I know of

http://www.tick-performance.com/tickshift/

http://www.rsgear.com/transzilla.asp

and I think there is a company called T56rebuilds.com

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I know of

http://www.tick-performance.com/tickshift/

http://www.rsgear.com/transzilla.asp

and I think there is a company called T56rebuilds.com
    T56 rebuilds is now sixspeedsinc.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

I went with Tick myself, Good bunch of guys over there. Call them up!

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

thanks guys, I dont know what it wrong with it...my last car was a 1979 Z28 muncie 4sp 3:73 gears and I got it into 13.60's with cam,heads,intake,I mean everything bored over, suspension...these LS1's are really nuts, thats the only way to put them....they are sooo tame for the monster they are.....I go 13.08 with a car that feels like a cadillac and I drive to work everyday and have got 26mpg.....I feel so sorry for all the time and work I put into what I thought was a fast street car for the 79 Z28, and i had it set up right....but 13.0's with a stock LS1...I got so much more I can do...headers,delete cats,portmatch heads and the LS6 intake...programm....would slapping a pair of LS6 heads help more than porting out my #241 casting heads on their now?
    Last edited by getcha01; 09-29-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Trans Am owner
    former

www.finishlinetrans.com

check that out

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by getcha01 View Post
    .would slapping a pair of LS6 heads help more than porting out my #241 casting heads on their now?

Not much. If you buy heads, dont buy plain jain LS6's.

I believe the casting number for LS6's are 243's.

HP increase would be minimal.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    I have had mine rebuilt by sixspeedsinc and it cost me just under 1000 (they did free shipping then). Though your problem might be something like the clutch or master/slave instead of the actual tranny.
    I just went to start my car up because im still waiting for my buddy to let me put my car in his garage to take the tranny out, and my tranny went into all gears reverse and everything, it wasnt easy to get into the gears but it went, and I drove it around my block and then it just stuck into likr 5th again while I was in 1st gear....I am clueless???????......could I just have something wrong with my clutch or master cylinder?...what doies the master cylinder do?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by getcha01 View Post
    I just went to start my car up because im still waiting for my buddy to let me put my car in his garage to take the tranny out, and my tranny went into all gears reverse and everything, it wasnt easy to get into the gears but it went, and I drove it around my block and then it just stuck into likr 5th again while I was in 1st gear....I am clueless???????......could I just have something wrong with my clutch or master cylinder?...what doies the master cylinder do?
    If the problem changes as you drive the car then I doubt it is mechanical (tranny). The master controls the hydrolics that engage/disengage the clutch. If for some reason your clutch is not disengaging then this could be your problem. Tranny problems are a bit of a pain to diagnose for me, and even harder over the internet. I would suggest though if you end up getting the tranny rebuilt, get a new master and slave as insurance since it is not that much more addition to the cost (partwise).

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    If the problem changes as you drive the car then I doubt it is mechanical (tranny). The master controls the hydrolics that engage/disengage the clutch. If for some reason your clutch is not disengaging then this could be your problem. Tranny problems are a bit of a pain to diagnose for me, and even harder over the internet. I would suggest though if you end up getting the tranny rebuilt, get a new master and slave as insurance since it is not that much more addition to the cost (partwise).
    Yea that sounds like a good plan

Thread Information