Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differentials

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Differentials

I'd like to get opinions on different differentials. I saw a good deal on a package from Thunder Racing which includes an Eaton posi diff with Motive gears. Any comments on these products? Like I hear that Richmond gears tend to be noisy. Trying to do all my homework. Thanks!!

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You don't intend to upgrade the stock 10 bolt, do you? If so, I'd advise saving your money and replacing the entire rear. A 12 bolt, 9", or D60 will serve you much better. The 10 bolt just isn't meant to handle power.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    You don't intend to upgrade the stock 10 bolt, do you? If so, I'd advise saving your money and replacing the entire rear. A 12 bolt, 9", or D60 will serve you much better. The 10 bolt just isn't meant to handle power.
    I agree with Walt. 10 bolts were a mistake then and to rebuild it would be a mistake now. Unless you have an A4 trans you may as well just mail the money to me, I will put it to good use. My choice is a 9", great rear, easy to change gears and they don't break. The 12" is not as strong as the 9" and it is harder to change gears in the future but it is the lightest of the three. The last pick would be the D60. Super strong, I you have an M6 trans and power adders this would be my rear choice but like the 12 bolt you have to rip it apart to change gears and it is very heavy. You can't brake a well buit D60 unless you have over 600 hp.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

I totally agree with you guys, but my concern (other than my 10B blowing) is the shipping charges of a complete rear to Hawaii. I've emailed a few companies for shipping quotes, but got no answer. Guess the guys in cust ser are too busy laughing... So, I'm just exploring other possible alternatives. I don't race but I do pound thru the gears sometime. Who said this place was "paradise"?? So what do you think, guys??

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

What are your future plans for the car?

You may not need to upgrade if you are sticking with stock power or mild bolt ons. Depending on H/C/I you could last on a 10 bolt as long as you don't try 4500rpm clutch dumps off the line.

Are you going to live in HI forever or are you temporary living there because of military service?

Do you have any family on the main land?

You can have it shipped to them and then have them ship to you if the companies refuse to ship to HI. Cost more - hell yeah, but you get what you want in the end. I'd call Moser, Strange or MWC and speak with them. That way you know they aren't ignoring your emails. I'm sure at least one of them will ship to HI.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Scott, thanks for the reassuring words. No, no full bore burn out's for me and the engine is stock with exhaust and K&N air box, with no plan for more power. Here to stay in Hawaii, and the only "fam" in mainland are nieces (nuff said) 6 foot box shows up at their doorstep..I'd never hear the end of it. I just would hate for the Torsen to give out while I'm on the highway. So, I'll keep an ear to the rear and start saving some $$$..just in case. By the way, what's H/C/I? Thanks again guys. When you see me threading about what kind of yoke I have, etc., etc., you'll know why....

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

H/C/I stands for heads, cam, intake. Your rear may last just fine. I just wouldn't recommend spending money to try to make it stronger. If you have to fix it to get by, that's something else.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Thanks Walt! Just curious..have you guys all changed out your rear-ends...and if so, what did you go to? Thanks again all..Much appreciated!!

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I swapped mine for a Moser 9". I upgraded the 10 bolt as far as I could, unfortunately, and started snapping teeth off the ring and pinion gears. After three sets within a year, I was done. Put the 9" in by myself in a day, and haven't had a problem since.

Navy Blue Metallic

I'm working on what some call a "Frankenstein" Ford 8.8 that is using 10 bolt axle tubes.

Here's my thread on it. If anything it will be interesting to read up on.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

It may give you another option if you have the skills and tools to do it or have friends that do.

I hope to have it done and running on it by beginning to mid Sept.

To say just how much abuse it can withstand, Spaz, a member/mod here has been using one like it since about last December. So far he hasn't been able to break it yet. That says a lot....Rumor has it he's the one that companies call on to product test because he can destroy anything.....

Most guys with A4 go with 12 bolts while the M6 crowd likes the 9". Dana 60's are starting to be the big boy option of choice for those that are making stupid HP track monsters.

In regards to companies you have Moser, Strange Engineering, Mid West Chassis and a few others....
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-15-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I went with a Moser 9" also. Running 500rwhp and it takes all the abuse I've thrown at it to date and just laughs at me. Hoping it holds up well with slicks and high RPM dumps when I get set up with some track tires.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I went with a Moser 9" also. Running 500rwhp and it takes all the abuse I've thrown at it to date and just laughs at me. Hoping it holds up well with slicks and high RPM dumps when I get set up with some track tires.
    Just make sure you run the bigger 1350 U-joints.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Okay, taking notes for future reference. When ordering rear end package, I should get the 1350, correct? Now, would I have to change anything on my drive shaft or would it bolt up the the 1350?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by cruzincamaro View Post
    Okay, taking notes for future reference. When ordering rear end package, I should get the 1350, correct? Now, would I have to change anything on my drive shaft or would it bolt up the the 1350?
    Agree with Knights reply ^^^ up top..You said you werent planning on adding power adders and dont hard launch or race right? Youd be waisting loads of dollars like $ 3,00.00 on a car that will never use the rear-end. If you want a d/d and want a lil jump in your gitty up once in a while you should be fine with the stocker! Ive gotten some fairly hard launches (nothing slammin though)and have had no problems with the stocker. Sure someday i plan on more power mods ( Heads-cam -intake) and if im really lucky a supercharger but before that id do the suspension mods...maybe that would be the way for you to go suspension mods? Just sayin you can do alot with the money if your not planning on gettin crazy with it !

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Moser 12 bolt here -- kind of noisy with the tunnel mount torque arm but no problems other than a recently discovered axle seal weeping.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I am. The 9" comes with that yoke size so I upgraded to a PST 3.5" aluminum drive shaft rated for 1200hp when I installed the 9".

Right now, the weakest link in my entire drive train is the output shaft of the T56. Only thing I haven't upgraded when I had the transmission rebuilt by RPM transmissions.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Agree with Knights reply ^^^ up top..You said you werent planning on adding power adders and dont hard launch or race right? Youd be waisting loads of dollars like $ 3,00.00 on a car that will never use the rear-end. If you want a d/d and want a lil jump in your gitty up once in a while you should be fine with the stocker! Ive gotten some fairly hard launches (nothing slammin though)and have had no problems with the stocker. Sure someday i plan on more power mods ( Heads-cam -intake) and if im really lucky a supercharger but before that id do the suspension mods...maybe that would be the way for you to go suspension mods? Just sayin you can do alot with the money if your not planning on gettin crazy with it !
    Thank you Mr. DM, that is what I was hoping to hear. Someone who has "thrashed" (sorta) a stocker and lived to tell about it. What kind of suspension mods would you recommend? Oh, and Jeff..OMG the bottom of your car is almost as clean as the top of mine.
    Last edited by cruzincamaro; 08-15-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: forgot last comment

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Thank you Mr. DM, that is what I was hoping to hear. Someone who has "thrashed" (sorta) a stocker and lived to tell about it. What kind of suspension mods would you recommend? Oh, and Jeff..OMG the bottom of your car is almost as clean as the top of mine.
    I know huh?..I drooled over that pic ! Im still dreamin about it lol.....very friggin clean.......Yeah Reynold...while i dont profess to be the expert ive had my bouts with the pavement Ive done the usual burn-outs from a stop...chirpin second and a couple smokey 360`s (when my tires were ready for replacement)..Ive had a few street activities etc and my stocker is still holding up fine That said..like the other members said i wouldnt do 4500 drops with it or abuse it ! I cant afford to f-it up ! Any A-hole can beat up a car. As far as suspension mods of course do what you can afford BUT plan it out carefully,do your homework too! The guys here like the site sponsor UMI....looks good to me but Unfortunately i ve done some suspension back in 07 and didnt know about UMI or this website I wish i did.... Id have gotten a double adjustable panhard bar instead of my single...I`d have gotten the UMI roto-jointed parts too...Ive only done the Panhard bar,Torque arm,rear lower control arms,Poly motor mounts,trans mount and ta mount + back shocks..all Edelbrock...ran out of money and we sold the business(so there went my rack to do the work on!) Ask the guys like Firebirdjones...Pajeff...tatertot...35th annv-ss-Edblownvert.. and any of the other guys ive forgotten theyll help you plan it all out..GOOD LUCK..and ALOHA>>>>>
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 08-16-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Moser 12 bolt here -- kind of noisy with the tunnel mount torque arm but no problems other than a recently discovered axle seal weeping.

Click for full size
    Way too clean under there. I hate you. lol

Navy Blue Metallic

Take a look at my signature. All I need for the rear is the sway bar and my rear is pretty much done. At a minimum I'd recommend SFC's (1st always*), LCA's and Torque Arm that is relocated off the tail of the tranny. The PHB is nice to have to. Mine is all adjustable because I'm lowered. You need to research a little and don't be afraid to call the vendor and ask questions like clearence for aftermarket exhaust. There's only some much space under there and it gets tight quickly. I can only speak from my experience with UMI. Yes a site sponsor but more importantly they take the time to answer and help their customers. The products are strong as hell and well worth the money. I've always had great support from them, because of that I plan on doing my whole car with their stuff.

Way too clean under there. I hate you. lol

he gets that every time he posts that pic..... usually from me It's not like he doesn't drive it. I've seen pics of him at the track and a video or two on the street.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Thread Information