Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Question Differential Cover & Axle Shaft Seal

I have searched for this, but found mixed answers. Now I just have a stock SS rear end, no optional components from SLP. What I need to do is change my driver side axle seal, it is leaking. I have read different procedures. I know to take off the brakes on that side, caliper, disc, etc. Once I remove the Diff. cover that is where it gets confusing due to mixed answers. The haynes says to remove a bolt from the carrier, online it says to drive out a large rod. What is next after I take off the differential cover. Thanks for the help! I need it!

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

AFTER the car is up and secure on JACKSTANDS , remove the bolts holding the cover on, leave the top one on and just loosen it a little, then use a screwdriver to pop the cover loose, after you are done draining the gear oil remove the cover. When you get the cover off you will see the carrier, it has the big ring gear mounted on it, what you will want to do is put the car in nuetral and spin the driveshaft until you can see the crosspin retaining bolt, it is an 8mm bolt that goes thru the carrier into the end of the cross pin to stop it from moving, remove it (do not round it off) when the bolt is out spin the carrier around to the opposite side and push (or tap depending on how tight the pin is) the pin out about 3/4 of an inch not too much. Then spin the carrier back around to the side where the bolt was you will see the hole in the pin that the bolt went thru and you will be able to put a phillips screwdriver or punch in the cross pin and wiggle it out. When the pin is out then you can push your axle in towards the center of the car, you will see a C-clip on the end of the axle using a magnetic pickup tool or whatever you can slide the clip off the end of the axle. Then you pull the axle shaft out of the car, (assuming you have removed the brakes). With the axle out you will see the seal in the end of the axle tube pry it out and install the new one, lube the seal with oil before re-installing the axle. put it back together the way you took it apart. This is a pretty easy job dont get worried about it. When you have it apart inspect the axle and cross pin for wear and I would suggest replacing the pin bolt, it is under 5 bucks at the dealer, YOU DONT WANT TO ROUND OFF OR BREAK THAT BOLT!!!..
    when you have the cover back on fill the rear end back up, you will need about 1 and 1/2 bottle of gear oil and a bottle of posi fluid. 75/90 is what goes in. Hope this helps

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Thanks for the help, I will get that bolt this week before I try it. I am not too worried, just don't want to take something out and have the whole rear end fall apart in my hand... Thanks!

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Off the top of your head would you happen to know that bolts part number, or does anybody? Thanks for the help!

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Just call up any GM dealership & ask for the parts department. The technical name for the part is "pinion shaft lock bolt." They'll be able to look up the number & tell you which dealer in the area has it.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

I have to do the same job on my car this weekend. I just noticed that it has started leaking pretty bad and my rear brake and caliper are covered in gear oil. I just have one question to add. I have a TA girdle on mine. When doing this job being that I wont be messing with the carrier or bearing caps will I have to do anything with the preload screws on the girdle? Or will I just be able to take the cover on and off without messing with them? Thanks.

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

I am not sure about that one, I think the covers are installed and then the load support bolts tightened, dont know if they are tightened to a certain torque or what.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by RARON455 View Post
    I am not sure about that one, I think the covers are installed and then the load support bolts tightened, dont know if they are tightened to a certain torque or what.

I just found the directions that came with the girdle in the garage. I will just back them out and redo it. It says you just run them up until it contacts the bearing caps and tighten down to 5ft lbs and lock em down. Pretty easy. I am having the damdest time finding the stupid seal though. None of the auto parts places like autozone, etc. have it or can get it. Napa was closed. I am praying they have one in stock when I call them tommorrow morning, either that or the dealer or I'm screwed. I'll have to use my fiance's Trailblazer to get to work and figure out how to get her to work until I can get the seal and get a day off to fix it. Napa does list the part online, so hopefully they stock it in the store.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Well just put this all together. The seal was quite easy to install, had to take out the bolt, pin, sensor, and c-clip. After that the axle slid out, new seal, all back together with a new trick flow cover with bearing supports. Topped off with royal purple, so far no leaks and working like a champ. Thanks for the help everybody.

Thread Information