Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Clutch, tranny and diff change

So I gotta change all those fluids and I did a search and came up with these results...

For the clutch, it kinda works like bleeding a one-wheeled brake system right? And I gotta use a Dot-3 fluid? Anybody have a specific brand and how much is required?

For the tranny (M6) its about 4 qts of Dexron III right? It doesn't have a filter and its basically just flush and fill right?

Differential I'm going with 2 quarts of RP 75-90 and no additive is needed right? I'm familiar with this process just got question on the additive.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

To bleed the clutch is just like doing brakes. Pump the clutch, hold it down. Open the bleeder. Close the bleeder. Pump the clutch. Repeat.
    You can use DOT3 or DOT4. Use whichever brand has the highest boiling point.

The tranny holds just under 4qts. There is no transmission filter on a T56. Just drain and fill.

For the diff you may need additive. If you have an Auburn differential you'll need to add posi additive. If you have a zexel torsen then you don't have to add anything extra. There is a service bulletin for the zexel torsen if it makes slight noise you can put in the additive to quiet it down. I had a zexel torsen and never used anything other than synthetic Mobil1 fluid.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant LS1 View Post
    To bleed the clutch is just like doing brakes. Pump the clutch, hold it down. Open the bleeder. Close the bleeder. Pump the clutch. Repeat.
    You can use DOT3 or DOT4. Use whichever brand has the highest boiling point.

The tranny holds just under 4qts. There is no transmission filter on a T56. Just drain and fill.

For the diff you may need additive. If you have an Auburn differential you'll need to add posi additive. If you have a zexel torsen then you don't have to add anything extra. There is a service bulletin for the zexel torsen if it makes slight noise you can put in the additive to quiet it down. I had a zexel torsen and never used anything other than synthetic Mobil1 fluid.
    Getting ready to change my fluids under the car and was looking for some input on fluid types that some of you run in the rear end- synthetic/ or regular, recommend brands and wt., not sure what you are talking about the zexel torsen, or alburn and how do you check

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I ran Royal Purple 75-90 and added the GM additive for the posi

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS6 View Post
    I ran Royal Purple 75-90 and added the GM additive for the posi
    Edgar about how much do you need? I think I read 2 quarts. Also is the additive avail. at the auto parts or a dealer item??

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Edgar about how much do you need? I think I read 2 quarts. Also is the additive avail. at the auto parts or a dealer item??
    2 quarts is more than enough (you'll have just a little bit left over) and the additive is a dealer only item its about $7-12 I believe and most have it in stock

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can purchase posi-additive at just about any parts store. Our year cars have a Torsen style differential, so there are no clutches and the additive is not required. There is, however, a bulletin out about using it in our rears to eliminate a "rusty screw" noise that some owners have complained of.

Silver

Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to just add it for piece of mind..

Thread Information