Red
    1999 Camaro SS

clutch pedal wont return all the way high rpm

I did a search and found that the drill mod might cure this problem, but I think I might just go with a whole new clutch setup this summer anyway as the car is coming up on 60,000 miles.

I don't have a hard time shifting, and the clutch isn't slipping, just the pedal doesn't return right away when doing some runs. Is it something That I should worry about much? Can something break at this point?

Also, what are some good clutch packages....I don't plan on high horsepower applications (LTs and a small cam swap maybe someday) and it's basically a daily driver. I heard the LS7 clutch is good? Any other recommendations?

Sorry for the long post ha

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

I forgot to mention that I had the hydraulics flushed and new fluid put in this morning at the dealership my dad works at. The problem is still there

I had the same problem on my 99 it was the master cylinder. I replaced it with an new GM 02 MC and did the drill mod. I have not had a problem since. I hear the MC on 98-00s are a problem. I hear the same about the slave cylinder but it has not caused me any issues yet. I will replace it when I do the clutch.

I think the LS7 clutch would be fine for your application.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I had the same problem on my 99 it was the master cylinder. I replaced it with an new GM 02 MC and did the drill mod. I have not had a problem since. I hear the MC on 98-00s are a problem. I hear the same about the slave cylinder but it has not caused me any issues yet. I will replace it when I do the clutch.

I think the LS7 clutch would be fine for your application.
    How much did a MC run you? Maybe I can just get a new one and hold off on a new clutch?

Fire
    2002 SS

I put in an LS7 Clutch and replaced the slave cylinder / throw-out bearing. Works great, no more lazy return after slamming the gears. With the 375 RWHP I have, the stock clutch would slip sometimes, now it never will.

I had similar issues and also didn't like the engagement so close to the floor so I went with an adjustable master cylinder from Ram. I already had an LS6 clutch in the car with a new slave etc...

I think the adjustable master cylinder ran $175 or so. Works much better now and my wife can now drive it.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

Awesome, I'll definitely replace the slave and master when the time comes for a clutch, but I'll have a shop do it since I'm not familiar in that area and don't have access to a lift to help.

If I take it to the track as it, is there a chance I can fuck up the master/slave cylinders? Or will it just be a lazy return during the run and then come back up afterwards?

I believe it was 140/150 shipped on ebay. Just make sure you get a geniune GM one with a braided line and do the drill mod. If you don't have a need for an adjustable MC i wouldn't get one they can be a PITA. If your clutch is not slipping chances are it's fine.

Eventually it will get a lot worse these hydraulic issues do not get any better. You won't damage anything because of it but mine got so bad before I replaced it that I would only use the clutch on take off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by rc74racer; 04-01-2009 at 05:05 PM.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

It's easy to just throw money at a problem. Unless you've already saved up and have the after-market clutch in your plans, before you replace the clutch, do the drill mod first, it's not hard and I've done it in less than an hour with simple hand tools. I'm pretty sure that'll fix the issue (unless your clutch is worn out) and give you some time to save up and get a decent clutch than trying to buy one immediately 'cos you think it's the clutch. If that doesn't fix it, you're halfway done anyway!

If you don't have a need for an adjustable MC i wouldn't get one they can be a PITA. If your clutch is not slipping chances are it's fine. ]
    Really??? In what way?? I didn't install one for a slipping clutch and quite frankly I don't think it would cure a problem like that.
    I installed mine simply for more free play at the pedal. It engaged very close to the floor, which can damage the transmission upon shifting over time if the clutch is not releasing completely. Very hard on syncros.
    It's worked flawless ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppn View Post
    If I take it to the track as it, is there a chance I can fuck up the master/slave cylinders? Or will it just be a lazy return during the run and then come back up afterwards?
    No way I'd bother making a trip to the track if the car is acting up like that. With a lazy return getting aggressive with it will only cause clutch slippage among other things, and make short work of the clutch disc.
    Besides that,,,you won't get optimum ET's out of the car granny shifting so why bother?? I'd fix it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Really??? In what way?? I didn't install one for a slipping clutch and quite frankly I don't think it would cure a problem like that.
    I installed mine simply for more free play at the pedal. It engaged very close to the floor, which can damage the transmission upon shifting over time if the clutch is not releasing completely. Very hard on syncros.
    It's worked flawless ever since.
    I never implied it would cure a slipping clutch. What I meant was if his clutch is not slipping then the clutch is probably fine.

My point was unless you have a need to change engagement for some reason there is no need for an adjustable clutch IMO. I know people who have had issues with adjustable MCs and if you research them you will find it's not unusual. Not to mention they are more expensive.

I never implied it would cure a slipping clutch. What I meant was if his clutch is not slipping then the clutch is probably fine.

My point was unless you have a need to change engagement for some reason there is no need for an adjustable clutch IMO. I know people who have had issues with adjustable MCs and if you research them you will find it's not unusual. Not to mention they are more expensive.
    Just don't understand what the problem would be. The adjustable cylinder is the same thing you get from GM,,,,,the only difference is Ram is cutting off the rod and welding on an adjustable threaded rod with a stop nut. Thats all it is.
    There's really nothing to it and shouldn't have any problems out of the ordinary, nothing more so than you could have with a stock master cylinder

For us adjustable is the way to go with any clutch,,,to get the feel that the driver is looking for. Quite honestly I think all this hydraulic crap is for the birds,,but the cards have been dealt. I'll take a mechanical setup anyday of the week.

Just don't understand what the problem would be. The adjustable cylinder is the same thing you get from GM,,,,,the only difference is Ram is cutting off the rod and welding on an adjustable threaded rod with a stop nut. Thats all it is.
    There's really nothing to it and shouldn't have any problems out of the ordinary, nothing more so than you could have with a stock master cylinder

For us adjustable is the way to go with any clutch,,,to get the feel that the driver is looking for. Quite honestly I think all this hydraulic crap is for the birds,,but the cards have been dealt. I'll take a mechanical setup anyday of the week.
    What you are saying is true and I understand how they work. I completely agree with you on the mechnical set up too. I did quite a bit of research before I purchased a GM unit for my car. I talked to friends, searched this site and tech. I didn't hear too many good things about adjustable MCs and everything I read led me to believe a new model stock GM MC would be the best fit for me. Like you I have had no problems since.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

I'd like to do the drill mod, but I'm not completely comfortable with tackling it myself. I might just get a new MC for the time being and have the dealership my dad works at install it as he gets a discount half off for labor

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Thats why i bought my 81 celica

no but i really do have one

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    Thats why i bought my 81 celica

no but i really do have one
    haha,,,ya I still hang on to the old muscle cars, with simple mechanical linkage and an even simpler 4-speed. Easy maintainance and simple/cheap repairs,,plus adjustability built right in ,,,,just hard to beat.

Thread Information