Black
    1997 Z-28

Clutch issue, master/slave everything new

Same 2002 SS 6speed car I have been working on for my buddy and here is the current issue. First off it has an ls6 clutch and pressure plate(brand new), new pilot bearing, new slave cylinder(O'reilly), new master cylinder(O'reilly). Clutch has been bled many times (manual method) and really appears no more air in lines by the amount of fluid that comes out.

The clutch does not appear to be traveling all the way and it is very hard to get in gear. Example, foot to the floor car is hard to get in first and even though pedal is to the floor the car still rolls forward. Also pedal used to feel like clutch was engaging at about half travel and now is almost 3/4 of the way through.

The slave was not shimmed as I have heard some people talk about having to do, but I figure with these being factory style stuff it should not be needed. Also the flywheel was not turned, only mildly resurfaced as it was not needed (about .001-.002" to clean up).

I read on another forum a guy who made his own adjustable master cylinder and it seemed like he was describing similar symptoms and it was a fix.

Just trying to get this all straightened out so he can go back to enjoy this nice car of his. Thanks for thoughts as always.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

If all hydraulics are in working order the slave needs to be shimmed. Did you check the stack height before putting the trans up? If you get in conctact with Tick Performance they can explain how to measure your stack height and they sell shims. An adjustable slave would work but you may be over extending the travel of the slave if you're not careful or close enough.

Thread Information