black
    1999 trans am

Talking Clacking rear end

Hey fellas -

I recently bought a '99 T/A with the Torsen II rear end, and aside from the usual F-body squeaking coming from the rear, she "clacks" at around 20 to 30 mph. I checked the U-joints, no rotational play there - but you can turn the driveshaft (with the trans in park) about 10 or 15 degrees of play. When shifting from park to reverse, there's a clack, and when shifting from reverse to drive there's a clack. Most noticeable is when I'm coasting at around 20 to 30 mph - after letting off the gas, it repeatedly clacks and then stops after a while. I strongly suspect that my rear end needs rebuilt - or does it? This is my first rearwheel drive car, as I've been too poor and only had fronts while longing for an F-body.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If it does need rebuilt, any leads for rebuild kits?

black
    2001 Trans Am

sounds similar to my problem

I often get clunking sounds, most notably in gentle driving around 15-30 mph, mostly if I let off the gas or change gears (often one clunk, sometimes multiple clunks, then stops). It seems to happen most when in neutral or the clutch depressed, and when the car's weight is right on the edge of shifting from back to front or vice versa.

I haven't investigated the cause yet. It doesn't feel terribly like any tranny mount failure I've had before, but close enough it might be. But if that gets ruled out I'm afraid for my bank account...

sectari
    2001 t/a, non-ws6 M6. all black. all stock so far

black
    1999 trans am

Hmm...

Interesting - I hadn't considered the tranny mounts as a source. I'll get under her tomorrow and shake her some and see if that isn't it. But it's coming from the rear on mine, so I doubt (hopefully) that it's the tranny mounts in my specific case.

Thread Information