Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

I just bought a Carbon Fiber Driveshaft and I got it in the mail today. I was telling a coworker about it and he said something that made me a little uncomfortable. He said that lightweight driveshafts have a tendency to flex while in motion and therefore I should be aware that it could hit the driveshaft tunnel. Granted he has a STI, so it is a little different, but do F-bodies have this problem?

Thanks.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

I've never heard that before about the carbon fiber d/s "flexing". I have a ACPT brand carbon fiber d/s and have no issue's what so ever with it. No "hitting of the driveshaft tunnel" as your buddy reported.

Enjoy your xmas gift as you'll LOVE it!!!!

Black
    2002 Z28

whats the benefit of a carbon fiber d/s? weight?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I thought I heard CF DS's were not recommended for street driving.

Is that not the case?

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by F-my-body View Post
    Yes, weight and harmonics.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I thought I heard CF DS's were not recommended for street driving.

Is that not the case?
    Why would any d/s not be recommended for the street? Bottom line is...it's a drive shaft. U-joints are what get abused the most anyways.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, Driving on the street as a DD, anything that hits it (rocks, road debris) will damage the fibers. I specifically remember a BMR rep stating he does not ever recommend a CF DS for the street. I was just stating what I remember reading. Im sure there are many people that run them on the street, but to me, a Strange or aluminum PST driveshaft is such an easy choice.

What size DS did you get OP, and what brand?

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Yes, weight and harmonics.
    that, and to be able to hold the 600rwhp I'll be throwing at it.

Well, Driving on the street as a DD, anything that hits it (rocks, road debris) will damage the fibers. I specifically remember a BMR rep stating he does not ever recommend a CF DS for the street. I was just stating what I remember reading. Im sure there are many people that run them on the street, but to me, a Strange or aluminum PST driveshaft is such an easy choice.

What size DS did you get OP, and what brand?
    Yeah, the people on Tech said the same thing about the road debris. I'll keep checking it from time to time (changing oil, maybe?) for damage, but the minimal time I drive her, I think she'll be fine.

ACTP...not 100% sure on the size, but I think it's a 3.5".

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    that, and to be able to hold the 600rwhp I'll be throwing at it.

Yeah, the people on Tech said the same thing about the road debris. I'll keep checking it from time to time (changing oil, maybe?) for damage, but the minimal time I drive her, I think she'll be fine.

ACTP...not 100% sure on the size, but I think it's a 3.5".
    Now this is why I do not understand the carbon fiber DS. The DS is only capable of 600 RWHP? It is also vulnerable to road debris and rocks? The amount of weight savings just does not seem worth it to me. I have a PST aluminum DS rated at at least 1000 RWHP with a lifetime warranty on it. Why do a carbon fiber when a aluminum or even a Strange is rated so much higher? What did you pay for it? I honestly hope you will be alright, but why even chance it? Why have to look at your DS at oil changes for nicks in the fiber when another DS is a known indestructible?

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Now this is why I do not understand the carbon fiber DS. The DS is only capable of 600 RWHP? It is also vulnerable to road debris and rocks? The amount of weight savings just does not seem worth it to me. I have a PST aluminum DS rated at at least 1000 RWHP with a lifetime warranty on it. Why do a carbon fiber when a aluminum or even a Strange is rated so much higher? What did you pay for it? I honestly hope you will be alright, but why even chance it? Why have to look at your DS at oil changes for nicks in the fiber when another DS is a known indestructible?
    It's rated for 900hp, but I'm only planning on 600rwhp (H/C/I and Nitrous). The reason UI bought it was because it is brand new (according to the seller ) and I was able to talk him down to $500 shipped (they sell for close to $1000 new). What did you pay for your aluminum? $400-450ish + shipping? I think I got a really good deal, and if it turns out to be a bad decision on my part because of the road debris and what not, then I will have learned a lesson and I will go back to aluminum DSs from then on.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

IMHO... You're gonna have some serious money tied up in your motor (op) to hit a reliable 600whp. A lousy 500 dollar drive shaft is the least of your concerns really. I say give it a try if you don't like it or it does'nt work out, throw the f&cker away and buy a new one. IMHO when you're building for power no part should ever be considered "bullet proof", give me anything that's mechanical and called "bullet proof" and I'll take it out and destroy it even with stock power.. All one has to do is exceed the machanical limits of any machine or part and it will break trust me..Good luck with it OP (it'll go or it"ll blow)...
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-24-2009 at 06:10 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    IMHO... You're gonna have some serious money tied up in your motor (op) to hit a reliable 600whp. A lousy 500 dollar drive shaft is the least of your concerns really. I say give it a try if you don't like it or it does'nt work out, throw the f&cker away and buy a new one. IMHO when you're building for power no part should ever be considered "bullet proof", give me anything that's mechanical and called "bullet proof" and I'll take it out and destroy it even with stock power.. All one has to do is exceed the machanical limits of any machine or part and it will break trust me..Good luck with it OP (it'll go or it"ll blow)...
    I'm kinda confused by what you're saying, maybe it's the wording, but I'm just not getting what your point is

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'm kinda confused by what you're saying, maybe it's the wording, but I'm just not getting what your point is
    My bad.. lol I get ahead of myself sometimes. Basicly give it a try is all I'm saying. If it's no good or has issues, you'll know not to buy it again..

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

I really don't know what all the "road debris" thing is. I don't have ANY cuts, nicks, scrapes, etc...... Are the guys on tech going 4-wheeling with theirs?

As far as strength...no its not the strongest DS out there nor the most cost effective. But its more than sufficient for most cars on the road. The carbon fiber also helps to deaden the high speed vibrations that many of the large diameter DS experience.

I'm not saying a carbon fiber DS is better than any other DS, it's just one that has different characteristics. Don't be afraid of sometthing that's different!

I read that IF something ever happens to a CF DS, the fiber will just unravel and scrape your tunnel where as any other DS will likely cut a hole in it.
    Last edited by blkSS98; 12-24-2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Black
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    I read that IF something ever happens to a CF DS, the fiber will just unravel and scrape your tunnel where as any other DS will likely cut a hole in it.
    ya that actualy doesnt sounds to bad so even tho your risking it its not like anything to bad will happen if it blows

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

ya that actualy doesnt sounds to bad so even tho your risking it its not like anything to bad will happen if it blows
    Except lose 500-1000 dollars.

OP - I paid 420 shipped for my PST. Did I miss what brand it is?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    This

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Except lose 500-1000 dollars.

OP - I paid 420 shipped for my PST. Did I miss what brand it is?
    ACPT

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I was able to talk him down to $500 shipped (they sell for close to $1000 new).
    From one Md guy to the next you should have just went with a steel one from A-1 in Baltimore. $300.All the 9 second guys from EFA and Pro Street nitrous cars at Capitol pushing a couple thousand HP at Capitol use these.

Thread Information