Thread: broke me rear

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

broke me rear

ok so listen my rear has been acting funny lately. weird sounds, grinding around turns, some hoping. This went on for a few months and one night while racing i think the ring and pinion blew. the car in undrivable. does anyone agree when I say the diff is trashed? or could it be the diff plus other things

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by NastyZ28 View Post
    ok so listen my rear has been acting funny lately. weird sounds, grinding around turns, some hoping. This went on for a few months and one night while racing i think the ring and pinion blew. the car in undrivable. does anyone agree when I say the diff is trashed? or could it be the diff plus other things
    Sounds to me like its the differential itself, not the ring and pinion, based on the fact that you say it was hopping around turns. This indicates that the differential was binding up, and not allowing each wheel to rotate at its own speed. You have a Torsen diff in your car, which uses helical gears to distribute torque. The grinding sound you heard could have been the gears in the differential clashing, which would also cause your wheel hop issue, since the axles would be locked together.

I would get it checked out asap, and don't drive it until its fixed. Driving with a trashed differential will only cause more damage, diffs are expensive enough, no need to buy an entire ring, pinion, and overhaul kit, plus labor, if you don't have to.

Blue
    2004 HSV Clubsport

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Sounds to me like its the differential itself, not the ring and pinion, based on the fact that you say it was hopping around turns. This indicates that the differential was binding up, and not allowing each wheel to rotate at its own speed. You have a Torsen diff in your car, which uses helical gears to distribute torque. The grinding sound you heard could have been the gears in the differential clashing, which would also cause your wheel hop issue, since the axles would be locked together.

I would get it checked out asap, and don't drive it until its fixed. Driving with a trashed differential will only cause more damage, diffs are expensive enough, no need to buy an entire ring, pinion, and overhaul kit, plus labor, if you don't have to.
    X2

It's an easy job and won't cost you too much to find out what has broken. Might even be a stub axle... but you won't know until you pull it out

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

If you can spring for it I would definately try and find a used diff off one of the LSx forums, if you have any doubt in the stocker. New gear and install kit plus a TA cover should solve the issue IMO.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    If you can spring for it I would definately try and find a used diff off one of the LSx forums, if you have any doubt in the stocker. New gear and install kit plus a TA cover should solve the issue IMO.
    Not a bad idea.

However, you can get a brand new Detroit Truetrac from either Jegs or Summit for $375, which is a damn good deal.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Not a bad idea.

However, you can get a brand new Detroit Truetrac from either Jegs or Summit for $375, which is a damn good deal.
    Or a low milage rear for $150 and not have to worry about setting up gears.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

True true ^^^^.

All depends on your funds

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 02blkws6 View Post
    Or a low milage rear for $150 and not have to worry about setting up gears.
    You really shouldn't have to set anything up at all. The pinion itself doesn't need to come out, and if you put the shims back in the way they came out, the backlash should remain the same.

However, its still definitely a good idea to check backlash after installation just to be sure everything is in spec.
    Last edited by Wesman; 12-30-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Thread Information