Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lookin for a ws6

Another 3:90 vs. 4:10 ?

I have been told 4:10's would be too much for my stock ws6 m6. I have lt's ory, and lm1. I was told to go with 3:90's. What do you guys think / Also what brand of gears ? I want the ones that will last the longest under normal driving conditions.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I don't think the difference will be that much between 3.90s and 4.10s especially in the higher gears.

As for the strongest the best for holding up that me and my friends have found is the GM which are 7 5/8" compared to the 7.5" of the after market brands. Unfortunately, it is still a 10 bolt and will not hold up to alot of abuse if you use sticky tires.

lookin for a ws6

re

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    I don't think the difference will be that much between 3.90s and 4.10s especially in the higher gears.

As for the strongest the best for holding up that me and my friends have found is the GM which are 7 5/8" compared to the 7.5" of the after market brands. Unfortunately, it is still a 10 bolt and will not hold up to alot of abuse if you use sticky tires.
    I do drag race maybe 10 times a year and autox. I always just use plain old street tires, so I never have traction until 3rd gear.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnman View Post
    I do drag race maybe 10 times a year and autox. I always just use plain old street tires, so I never have traction until 3rd gear.

I know the feeling, always have to remind myself to shift a little softer into second so I don't break the rear end completely lose

lookin for a ws6

It is the third gear shift I usually mess up when drag racing. It is either too slow or I miss it.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

so GM rear end gears are stronger than say motive or richmond??
    I know that richmond gears are known to whine a lot... which is something I will absolutely hate. Which are quieter, gm or motive?

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I had Motive Performance 3.90's in my 10 bolt. They were quiet and I liked them HOWEVER, I always wished I went with 4.10's. My car is set up like yours now. I would not hesitate at all with 4.10's in your case. Maybe a 50-75 rpm difference @ 75 MPH.

I changed to a 9" and got 4.30's and absolutely love them with my 6 speed. I am at 2150 rpm @ 75 MPH with a 275/35/18 wheel in the back. So glad I went with them. Again I went with Motive performance and they are nice and Quiet. HOWEVER, I will have to go to a taller tire once my Cam and intake go in When I go to the track.

To me 3.90's were a big waste of money. If you are going to spend the money, Make it worth it.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 12-03-2007 at 03:15 PM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    so GM rear end gears are stronger than say motive or richmond??
    I know that richmond gears are known to whine a lot... which is something I will absolutely hate. Which are quieter, gm or motive?
    Richmonds will whine worse than your ex girlfriend I would steer clear of them. All gears will whine a little if you do some hard dragstrip launches especially with a six speed. But Richmonds are the worse I have ever used (Not in a f-body but an old chevelle I had with a 12 bolt)

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Richmonds will whine worse than your ex girlfriend I would steer clear of them. All gears will whine a little if you do some hard dragstrip launches especially with a six speed. But Richmonds are the worse I have ever used (Not in a f-body but an old chevelle I had with a 12 bolt)
    yea, i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with 4.10 motives. If it whines i'll just have to get a head and cam swap some day to cover the noise.
    Is the master install kit a good idea? i read the list of the stuff that comes in it but i don't know what most of parts do/are.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    yea, i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with 4.10 motives. If it whines i'll just have to get a head and cam swap some day to cover the noise.
    Is the master install kit a good idea? i read the list of the stuff that comes in it but i don't know what most of parts do/are.
    Yes, diffenately get a master rebuild kit and change everything that comes with it (Bearings and seals). If you are planning on a head and cam, You might want to skip the gear swap and save for a new rear end. The 10 bolt is a pyle of crap. For the $600 you will spend doing the gear swap you would be 1/3 of the way there in getting a new 9".

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Yes, diffenately get a master rebuild kit and change everything that comes with it (Bearings and seals). If you are planning on a head and cam, You might want to skip the gear swap and save for a new rear end. The 10 bolt is a pyle of crap. For the $600 you will spend doing the gear swap you would be 1/3 of the way there in getting a new 9".
    I totally agree with you on that one but I won't be able to afford a h/c swap for at least four years (college bills & loans)

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

I had Motive Performance 3.90's in my 10 bolt. They were quiet and I liked them HOWEVER, I always wished I went with 4.10's. My car is set up like yours now. I would not hesitate at all with 4.10's in your case. Maybe a 50-75 rpm difference @ 75 MPH.

I changed to a 9" and got 4.30's and absolutely love them with my 6 speed. I am at 2150 rpm @ 75 MPH with a 275/35/18 wheel in the back. So glad I went with them. Again I went with Motive performance and they are nice and Quiet. HOWEVER, I will have to go to a taller tire once my Cam and intake go in When I go to the track.

To me 3.90's were a big waste of money. If you are going to spend the money, Make it worth it.
    I have been looking through several forums and found this one. So, in your opinion, 410's in a m6 is the way to go as far as not wasting money? I currently have 342's in my 'dailydriver' and it has not seen any track time. I am looking to increase some power to play with every once in a while. Also, are there any other things I should be installing if I decide on the 410's.
    -thanks

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by SS#337 View Post
    I have been looking through several forums and found this one. So, in your opinion, 410's in a m6 is the way to go as far as not wasting money? I currently have 342's in my 'dailydriver' and it has not seen any track time. I am looking to increase some power to play with every once in a while. Also, are there any other things I should be installing if I decide on the 410's.
    -thanks
    I would say, and many others as well, that 4.10's are the way to go with a 6 speed. I have 4.30's and absolutely love them on the street. If you do decide to swap gears, keep in mind the 10 bolt is a weak rear end and adding a steeper gear will only make it weaker. I would diffenately get a master rebuild kit to go along with it.

Also, I would recomend After market Rear lower control arms, Sub-frame connectors, Panhard bar, and torque arm. these will reduce wheel hop and help plant the power to the pavement.

Once again, I would not recomend a gear swap in the 10 bolt and I would save your money for a new 9" (for the $600 + you will spend, you are 1/3 of the way to a much better rearend). Rule #1 when it comes to the 10 bolt is to Upgrade not rebuild. Just my .02.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

ok, I kinda' got that feeling about upgrading instead rebuilding from the information I have been reading. I know it costs $$$$ to add power an all but was looking for a short cut....which then the old saying then comes into play...."pay now or pay later".
    What would you suggest as the next logical step after the upgrade to a 9"? If my sig attached properly, you can see what I have.
    2002 Onyx Black Camaro SS, m6, SLP Cold Air Induction, SLP Lid, K&N Air Filter, SLP 160 Stat, SLP MAF Type B, Y-Pipe Dual Cat, Out & Tip Exhaust, SFC, STCB, PHB w/HCA's, Rear Lower Skip Shift Harness, Hyper-Tech LS1 Power Programmer.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by SS#337 View Post
    ok, I kinda' got that feeling about upgrading instead rebuilding from the information I have been reading. I know it costs $$$$ to add power an all but was looking for a short cut....which then the old saying then comes into play...."pay now or pay later".
    What would you suggest as the next logical step after the upgrade to a 9"? If my sig attached properly, you can see what I have.
    You said it "Pay now or pay later" You are just throwing your money down the drain on a 10 bolt.

After you upgrade, I would throw that MAF away and put your stocker back in. They are good for 500 hp stock and the after market ones do nothing but overly lean out your motor. I would then get some long tube headers and a off road y-pipe or true duel exhaust. (Might need to check your emission laws) I don't have to worry about it. Then I would go with a nice head and cam package and then throw that hyper tech away and get a good dyno tune from somebody with LSX experience.. After that its up to you but thats about all I am going to do for a while. Maybe when my truck is paid off I might supercharge mine but thats a whole other story. Hope this helps.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

I will keep it all in mind as I continue to research and decide on what i want to do. Thanks for all the info.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

if you wish to go super charged ESPECIALLY TURBO!!! keep a 3:42 in the ass of your car... at very very most a 3:73 even if you are M6... my dad had 3:93 in his lingenfelter vette and hated it cause even with 315 tires (i thinkk they were 345 tires tbh i'm not sure..) but he couldn't get traction ig he just stabbed the gas pedal at 80 mph...

with that said... if you are N/A... go with as steep as your can get away with!!!

blue
    1998 b4c

My friend changes ALOT of gears in his shop and motives are the quietest I currently run a stock ls1 with 100k on it new valve springs rockers YANK ST3600 3:42 and BFG DR I go 12:50s When had the guy from Yank on the phone he said an easy upgrade would be gears and that I would really feel the difference.I think that if I stay away from MT tires and keep the BFG's the rear will last another season .Now when I upgrade to a fresh motor then the stock rear has to go GOOD LUCK

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

4.10s. motives are prerun and are generally quieter than all the rest. i cruise at 80mph at 2200rpm. still get about 20-22mpg on the freeway with heads/cams.

blue
    1998 b4c

Did you change the reluctor gear in your rear I was wondering if I need a new one when I upgrade to 3:73???????????

Thread Information