Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Advice on removing 10 bolt..

I am removing my broken 10 bolt to replace it with a 9". Originally I was gunna pay to have it installed but as of recently my mom got hurt at work and she is not receiving any workmans comp so i am trying to save money incase I need to help pay for stuff for our bills and whatnot. But anyways any advice on what is needed or any tricks to get any parts off would be appreciated. The car is stock m6 with TCS and im doing this in my garage so space is kinda limited but I just started and Ive already drainded the diff and am removing the driveshaft and swaybar right now. Anything that I should be careful about as well?
    Last edited by One_Bad_TA; 02-01-2009 at 11:56 AM.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

It pretty straightforward. Just unbolt everything that is connected to it. Dont forget the brake lines and your tcs wires before you start to lower it out of the car.Use jackstands to hold the car up! Goodluck!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Ok i have to remove my brake backing plates to put them onto the the rear. Is it easier to remove the axles after the rear is completely removed or should I do it while its on the car?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    Ok i have to remove my brake backing plates to put them onto the the rear. Is it easier to remove the axles after the rear is completely removed or should I do it while its on the car?
    I did it when it was on the car. Don't think it will make much of a difference though. Make sure you put the right backing plate on the correct axle (for a 9" they are different lengths).

Getting the 10 bolt out is fairly easy. Putting the 9" in is not to much harder, though having air tools does help for putting it all together (mostly for the center section's studs). As for the install, make sure you clean everything up for the housing. Only tricky part of the install really is the sway bar. Just takes some fabricating to make it fit (I used a 3" universal exhaust clamp, some aluminum spacers, washers, and did a little cutting to the original mounting).

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    I did it when it was on the car. Don't think it will make much of a difference though. Make sure you put the right backing plate on the correct axle (for a 9" they are different lengths).

Getting the 10 bolt out is fairly easy. Putting the 9" in is not to much harder, though having air tools does help for putting it all together (mostly for the center section's studs). As for the install, make sure you clean everything up for the housing. Only tricky part of the install really is the sway bar. Just takes some fabricating to make it fit (I used a 3" universal exhaust clamp, some aluminum spacers, washers, and did a little cutting to the original mounting).
    Ok I got the axles and brake backing plates out. The hardest part so far was getting the sway bar off lol. But now I have to get the rear end itself out but Im taking a break for today and Im goin to watch the Superbowl lol

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I have actually been following the sticky for "how to install a 12 bolt" its pointed everything out right so far.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Well I got the 10 bolt out it actually was pretty straight forward. Everything went smoothly and was too difficult. I followed the sticky for installing a 12 bolt and that showed me everything I needed and was a big help. Phew, cant wait to get the 9" in

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

dynamite LOL
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

damn man, must have went realllll smooth. i didnt get anymore texts from you after sunday hahaha. but really im glad to hear it all went well. woulda helped if I was home. guess this means you gotta help me when i blow mine this summer..(hopefully i wont though) haha. keep me posted

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    damn man, must have went realllll smooth. i didnt get anymore texts from you after sunday hahaha. but really im glad to hear it all went well. woulda helped if I was home. guess this means you gotta help me when i blow mine this summer..(hopefully i wont though) haha. keep me posted
    Ha yea man it went along smoothly, I work everyday after school so the only days I worked on it were Sunday And Wednesday. But got it all done, now I just have to pick up the 9" paint it and put it in. Lets hope everything lines up and I dont have to modify anything. And yea Ill help you out WHEN you blow the 10 bolt lol. Jk hopefully yours will make it

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

haha yeah we all know its about WHEN.. especially if we are gonna be at the LOT a shit load.. and with that cam coming soon buh bye. you just gonna paint it black?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Ha yea man it went along smoothly, I work everyday after school so the only days I worked on it were Sunday And Wednesday. But got it all done, now I just have to pick up the 9" paint it and put it in. Lets hope everything lines up and I dont have to modify anything. And yea Ill help you out WHEN you blow the 10 bolt lol. Jk hopefully yours will make it
    You might want to consider painting it all once it is together. Pain to move around, but you won't have to deal with some of the cleaning issues I did.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    haha yeah we all know its about WHEN.. especially if we are gonna be at the LOT a shit load.. and with that cam coming soon buh bye. you just gonna paint it black?
    Yep cruising is gunna be a lot of fun this summer. But yea I think Im just gunna paint it glossy black...just not sure what paint to use

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

You might want to consider painting it all once it is together. Pain to move around, but you won't have to deal with some of the cleaning issues I did.
    I was worried about overspray and getting it on everything else but if its better to do it that way I might try it. What kind of paint did you use?

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I was worried about overspray and getting it on everything else but if its better to do it that way I might try it. What kind of paint did you use?
    Mine was powdercoated when I got it. When we were putting mine together we had to clean it out a second time because the powercoating was in the way for some of the bolts. Not to much you have to worry about overspraying on really. Once it is together I would only worry about avoiding a few places and they you should be set. Once it is all together the install is not that bad if you have a friend helping you out. Just don't be scared to kick it into place if you need to (wear sneakers). If you get stuck with how to deal with the sway bar I can tell you how I dealt with it, and maybe get some pics.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Mine was powdercoated when I got it. When we were putting mine together we had to clean it out a second time because the powercoating was in the way for some of the bolts. Not to much you have to worry about overspraying on really. Once it is together I would only worry about avoiding a few places and they you should be set. Once it is all together the install is not that bad if you have a friend helping you out. Just don't be scared to kick it into place if you need to (wear sneakers). If you get stuck with how to deal with the sway bar I can tell you how I dealt with it, and maybe get some pics.
    That would be very helpful. Im worried about not getting it lined up right or having problems with the alignment on the tires even though that shouldnt be that big of a concern But my buddy has the same thing on his car so it should be good...Thanks man

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

That would be very helpful. Im worried about not getting it lined up right or having problems with the alignment on the tires even though that shouldnt be that big of a concern But my buddy has the same thing on his car so it should be good...Thanks man
    Just make all the holes align up as they are supposed to. With my Moser we did not have to do any adjustments at all. A little kicking was needed to get things in place, but they all went together easily.

I do suggest put the driveshaft into the tranny first. Than attach the torque are to the housing. After that things just fall into place.

You might need to do some grinding for the brackets that hold the ebrake as well.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Just make all the holes align up as they are supposed to. With my Moser we did not have to do any adjustments at all. A little kicking was needed to get things in place, but they all went together easily.

I do suggest put the driveshaft into the tranny first. Than attach the torque are to the housing. After that things just fall into place.

You might need to do some grinding for the brackets that hold the ebrake as well.
    I didnt take my driveshaft out so im good with that. And Im just gunna do the opposite of removal for install, starting with the torque arm. But i might have to get ahold of a grinder to get the brackets and such. For the brake lines did it have the clips to hold them to the housing?
    Last edited by One_Bad_TA; 02-06-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I didnt take my driveshaft out so im good with that. And Im just gunna do the opposite of removal for install, starting with the torque arm. But i might have to get ahold of a grinder to get the brackets and such. For the brake lines did it have the clips to hold them to the housing?
    Mine had no provisions for the brake lines at all. It is very easy to deal with, just get two big zip ties and clamp them down to the axle housings. Think I used one more to keep it collected at the driveshaft tunnel as well, can't seem to remember at this moment.

Thread Information