Thread: A4 to M6 Swap

Black
    1996 T/A

A4 to M6 Swap

How much would it cost to do an A4 to M6 swap? Anyone done it? Built 4L60E... just don't want an A4... maybe a drag guy willing to trade for a built T56? I do my own work, but this swap would be a bit over my head... so how much?

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by gsea View Post
    How much would it cost to do an A4 to M6 swap? Anyone done it? Built 4L60E... just don't want an A4... maybe a drag guy willing to trade for a built T56? I do my own work, but this swap would be a bit over my head... so how much?
    $1000-2000k in used parts without labor. and need return PCM and more cheaper to sell your car and buy manual i was gonna do M6 swap till i seen how much it would cost.

same situation

I'm in the same situation you are-stuck in my a4 wanting to go to a t56. I've got a guy in Northern California who will do the swap for very cheap (<$500+ a case of beer)

From what i've been told it's best to find someone who's willing to do a trade or from a wrecked car.

I got this information from a previous post-I don't need the upgraded parts but I do need all the parts for a conversion.

From this post it'll cost TOTAL COST$4,657. I THINK without the upgraded parts/ and or used parts, you could bet by Under $1500-without labor.

PARTS NEEDED:
    T56 Rebuilds 6-Speed4Apress. plate
    flywheel
    T56 shifter+shifter knob
    bellhousing
    Master cylinder
    Slave cylinder
    ARP pressure plate bolt kit134-2201$26
    ARP 11mm flywheel bolt kit330-2802$47
    T56 crossmember
    speed console top
    Clutch pedal
    Neutral safety switchN
    Transmission mount
    Torque arm mount/bracket, inner
    Torque arm mount/bracket, outer
    Clutch pedal retaining clip
    Clutch pedal return spring
    Clutch pedal pivot bushing (2)
    Lower shifter boot
    Slave cylinder bolts
    Trans connector (brown)
    Trans connector (white/blue)
    Master cylinder bolts/washers/nuts(2)
    Trans to bellhousing bolts(8)/$8
    Center Console
    TOTAL COST$4,657

If anyone can tell me which of these parts I don't need to pull and could reuse from my a4 please let me know.

Black
    1996 T/A

Wow... I thought I had a pretty good idea of what it would entail... but there are quite a few things I hadn't thought of... that looks like it would be a royal pain... even just getting all the parts in conditions that I would be happy with. Thanks for the info... that's something to ponder!

You will also have to extend the speed sensor harness about 6 inches,,,since it will not reach on the 6 speed trans. Also have to cut a bigger hole in the floor which I am not fond of. Not to mention cutting a hole in the firewall for the master cylinder.

One other thing you have to do is have a tuner shop do a complete reflash of your computer to an 01-02 6 speed tune. Or if you have invested in HPtuner, or EFI Live,,,you can do this part yourself.

I have looked into this swap myself,,,as finding another 02 SS convertable like I have would be even more difficult than a trans swap.

It's not as bad as it sounds. The best thing to do is to find a wrecked car and pull all the parts needed for the swap. From there you can determine what is not usable and purchase those parts new. F-body Motorsports is one place of many that has new and used parts for 6-speed swaps. There may be other vendors as well that support this sight that you could check out.

As far as price I have seen on several occasions some wrecked 6 speed cars, and have talked to the owners who would let me pull all the parts needed for the swap for $1500. Some others are higher but I come accross them from time to time. A new clutch is at least one item I would buy, as used ones don't interest me,,,so tack on another $5-700 (for me anyway) I can get it done for under $3,000 if I ever get ambitious enough to do it.
    Check around and wait for a wrecked car, check your local yards too,,,it seems these kids are wrecking one of these cars every week

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

gm high tech did it with 4k including labor...

Thread Information