Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

A4 or M6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What up LS1's.......OK i've been noticing a nice balance of either A4's OR M6's on some recent threads. My question (s) are as follows:

FOR THE A4's: Did you purchase an A4 because you WANTED an automatic, OR you weren't able to find a M6??????? If you had the choice NOW, would you trade for an M6?????

FOR THE M6's: Did you purchase an M6 because you WANTED a manual, OR you weren't able to find a A4??????? If you had the choice NOW, would you trade for an A4?????
    Last edited by jb3golf; 10-17-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Wanted M6, so I got M6.

Wanted fun to drive vehicle and also wanted better gear ratio. So, I gots M6.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

OK I'll go first...I mean second!!!! I desired an M6 because I had a 90 Iroc-z (5.7) before and as you know, the TPI engines in the camaro did not come with a manual UNLESS it was a 305 TPI version.

PLUS after driving my buddy's LS1 T-56 WS6, it was all over; M6!!

AND..................NO I wouldn't go A4 NOW....BUT I wouldn't mind buying one so I dont ALWAYS half to shift!!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Wanted M6, so I got M6.

Wanted fun to drive vehicle and also wanted better gear ratio. So, I gots M6.
    Cool.......Yeah the M6's did get the 3.42's from factory vs 3.23's for auto.....So I'm guessing you wouldn't trade it for an A4 NOW????

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

When these cars were new Manuals were few and far between on dealer lots. That is why I ordered mine as an M6. After 12 yrs I wouldn't change a thing, to me driving a 4L60E always seems to be a let down.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    When these cars were new Manuals were few and far between on dealer lots. That is why I ordered mine as an M6. After 12 yrs I wouldn't change a thing, to me driving a 4L60E always seems to be a let down.
    Yeah, that's exactly how I felt in my auto IROC-Z.......

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    I gotta ask.....Why are you performing a LS9 twin clutch install??? What kind of power did you add to your car to warrant this install????

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Been rowing my own since my first car 20 years ago!

Especially on sports cars, when I buy, I only look for stick. I just won't buy autos. For me, I feel like there's more control at a faster rate. Power braking with 2nd gear downshifts, punching WOT at the apex of a turn has always felt far more comfortable when I get to pick the exit gear, lots of reasons for me.

I suppose that answers the "would I trade?" part too.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    Cool.......Yeah the M6's did get the 3.42's from factory vs 3.23's for auto.....So I'm guessing you wouldn't trade it for an A4 NOW????
    Not in the "toy" car.

DD would/will always be an auto though. Manual in the snow, not so smart.

If I had the desire, let alone the money, to turn the car into a strictly drag car, I would consider getting an auto for that fast shifting and to eliminate human error.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

I have an M6 because I wanted one, I refused to by an A4. Plus I like to DRIVE my car lol
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I drag race the A4 (it's more consistant but could DD if need be) and DD the M6 (it's stock and it get's better MPG's)...

So I say 1 of each!
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

the real fun is on M6....
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by TokerM View Post
    Been rowing my own since my first car 20 years ago!

Especially on sports cars, when I buy, I only look for stick. I just won't buy autos. For me, I feel like there's more control at a faster rate. Power braking with 2nd gear downshifts, punching WOT at the apex of a turn has always felt far more comfortable when I get to pick the exit gear, lots of reasons for me.

I suppose that answers the "would I trade?" part too.
    Cool man. Yeah, I'm not sure why I would buy an auto either unless I ALREADY had a manual......Thanks for your reply......

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I drag race the A4 (it's more consistant but could DD if need be) and DD the M6 (it's stock and it get's better MPG's)...

So I say 1 of each!
    Nice!!!! SO where's my AUTO!!!!!!

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

my frist camaro was an A4 and couldnt wait to get rid of it. Ive had 4 manual camaro's since and would never buy an auto.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    What up LS1's.......OK i've been noticing a nice balance of either A4's OR M6's on some recent threads. My question (s) are as follows:

FOR THE A4's: Did you purchase an A4 because you WANTED an automatic, OR you weren't able to find a M6??????? If you had the choice NOW, would you trade for an M6?????

FOR THE M6's: Did you purchase an M6 because you WANTED a manual, OR you weren't able to find a A4??????? If you had the choice NOW, would you trade for an A4?????
    I did purchase the A4 because there was not an M6 available at the time. However, in hindsight, I do not regret it at all. Given the choice now, it would actually probably be a non-factor in my decision. Or at least much less of a factor than it was originally. So on that note, no I would not trade it for an M6 where all other things were equal. I am content.

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

I wanted an M6, but found a good deal on an auto, I drive mostly in rush hour traffic, so I'm glad I went that way.

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    I did purchase the A4 because there was not an M6 available at the time. However, in hindsight, I do not regret it at all. Given the choice now, it would actually probably be a non-factor in my decision. Or at least much less of a factor than it was originally. So on that note, no I would not trade it for an M6 where all other things were equal. I am content.
    That about sums me up too! When I bought my used 98 in 2004 they were out of production and every 6 speed I found had been dogged out. Seems like clutches on a modded M6 car last about as long as the 10 bolt rearends do at the dragstrip.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

I looked for an A4 car because I want to drag race it,I found lots of deals on the M6's before I found my car.

A4 is way more consistant at the drag strip and your 10 bolt lasts longer.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

I have one of each, and actually my wife drives the 6 speed daily.

I like either one, both good and bad points. After installing a converter in the auto, it became a completely different car. Fun to drive. Mileage between the 2 isn't drastically different, definately not enough to make me choose one or the other.

Both trannies have their issues, both were built with weak parts so that's really a toss up. Stick cars in general are fun to drive, raced them in UMTR for a couple years. Got a little expensive though, hard on parts.

Quite frankly though if I had to pick between the 2 for a street grudge encounter or more potential for trouble free racing at the track,,,,I pick my auto hands down. Can't beat the consistency and the fact that it's much easier on parts. Take it from someone that has broken alot of junk,,lol.

Thread Information