Black
    2002 WS6 TA

9" Rear in my 02 TA?

Ok after much debate and posting, I have decided to go with a 9" rear in my 02 Ta, now before I do so I would like to here any stories of people who have a 9" in there ta. I am curious as to what problems you were faced with and what options you ended up losing/gaining. Also what 9" did you go with? I am leaning towards a Moser 9" with 3 channel abs, aluminum carrier, 31 spline axels, truetrac, fill and drain plug. Now what I am confused about is do I want the backbrace welded on, the anti roll bar brackets, and the lower control arm relocation brackets? Also did you go with a locker? Why/ Why not? Also I am leaning towards 3.70 gears how do you all feel about that? This car is still considered a daily driver even though I do not drive her daily

Thanks

Black
    99 SS

dude get 4.11's in there, you wont notice much of a difference in MPG maybe 1 mile less or something but its worth it

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy57 View Post
    Ok after much debate and posting, I have decided to go with a 9" rear in my 02 Ta, now before I do so I would like to here any stories of people who have a 9" in there ta. I am curious as to what problems you were faced with and what options you ended up losing/gaining. Also what 9" did you go with? I am leaning towards a Moser 9" with 3 channel abs, aluminum carrier, 31 spline axels, truetrac, fill and drain plug. Now what I am confused about is do I want the backbrace welded on, the anti roll bar brackets, and the lower control arm relocation brackets? Also did you go with a locker? Why/ Why not? Also I am leaning towards 3.70 gears how do you all feel about that? This car is still considered a daily driver even though I do not drive her daily

Thanks
    i am in the exact same boat and have the exact same questions......help

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

You will need a conversion u-joint, 2ea 3" exhaust clamps to mount the sway bar, your old Brake Backing plates from your 10 bolt. Not too bad of a install but you will need to "pound" the sheetmetal up around where your torque arm mounts for the torque arm to clear.

I would recomend Motive Performance gears. They are strong and Quiet.

I have a Detroit Locker and Love it. The Clunking gives the rear end some Character, And makes a good coversation piece. Great to see the looks I get, If they only knew. I also got mine with a Strange pro nodular third member and 35 spline axles

Also do not hesitate to get 4.10 gears for a 6 speed or 3.73's for a auto. I put 4.30's in mine and absolutely love them.

Depending on Horsepower you really do not need a back brace (unless you are over 700+ hp). Also I would get the lower relocation brackets on there. You want your Rear lower control arms as parallel to the ground as possible for better traction.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 03-21-2008 at 11:27 AM.

white
    1999 z-28 convertible

Went with a Moser 9", 31 spline axles, Detroit trutrac, welded lower control arm brackets, drain plug, new reluctors for 4 channel setup, weld on swaybar relocation mounts, PSC driveshaft and BMR trak pak with 4.11's

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i am gonna have to get aftermarket LCA's , sway bar etc, if I get the moser 9?

white
    1999 z-28 convertible

no, you will need a new 1350 yoke on your driveshaft and a way to mount your swaybar 'the old brackets on your 10 bolt won't fit.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

3" muffler clamps take care of the sway bar issue. I didn't have LCA or T. Arm problems however I already had those replaced before the swap. Moser 9, 31 spline axles, locker, 4.11's. Rear end did sit about an inch higher though. Would do it again in a minute.

Thread Information