Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

9 inch, posi or locker

So guys i am talking to one of the guys over at moser trying to figure out what i want for my rear end. Of course i did not want a full spool. But i don't know much about anything with the rear end. I am going to put out about 900 flywheel, and it will be driven on the street alot and hopefully and some track events. Of course i won't run that much power all the time, just turn the boost down.

My question #1 is will a locker be good for some spirited driving through a course?
    The guy at moser told me posi won't last that long.

He also asked if i wanted ABS, i thought the 9 inch could not have abs for the f-bods? But he asked me if the ABS was inside or out? I'm lost on that, i am going to call back tommorow, so any help would be much appreciated guys.

It's been so long since i drove a car without abs. Would that be fine for a track car, no abs?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Bump because I'd love to see the answer regarding the posi vs. locker...I've been debating the same.

Regarding the ABS setup, Moser makes a 9" rear that will work with your stock ABS and traction control.

As for driving without ABS, some people prefer it, however there is a good deal of skill involved in threshhold breaking, etc. As for running at the track (straight line I presume), you should be just fine without ABS. Personally, I prefer an ABS setup -- it gives me a greater margin for error as a driver.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

If it is a track car...get the spool.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

A locker provides a more positive lock of both axles versus a limited slip. But a locker can work against you in the case of normal "around town" driving. It takes more force to unlock a locker so sometimes you'll end up dragging a rear wheel through a turn at the grocery store versus a limited slip will go open differential easier. But when you're racing down the track....a locker will hold both axles longer.
    Here's a link to explain it better. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locking_differential

You can get ABS from Moser on a 9". But from what I've read on the forums it's not always working properly.....intermittent ABS operation. So you get the light on the dash reporting a problem. Has to do with lining up of the sensors on the rearend. I think most guys that go to a 9", aren't getting ABS. My opinion on the matter is I'd rather keep the ABS system...especially for street driving. I opted for a strange 12 bolt primarily to avoid this problem. Not saying a 12 bolt is better, just saying a 12 bolt is a GM product and is going on a factory GM car. I haven't had any ABS issues either. So you can order a 9" with ABS and if it becomes a PITA....then you can buy a ABS delete kit and just remove the system from the car. That way you can give it a try, but will cost you more in the end if you go the delete route. I don't know what is meant by inside or outside either.

teal

dang even though the limited slip is a bit weaker, i really do need it, i love to demolish turns and anything other than a limited slip will not cut it for that. What do you have rich?

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

35 spline 9" with a locker here and absolutely love it. It quieted down after the first 50 miles and I hardley notice it at all anymore. Daily drive mine with little to no issues at all. Just takes a little different driving style.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

teal

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    35 spline 9" with a locker here and absolutely love it. It quieted down after the first 50 miles and I hardley notice it at all anymore. Daily drive mine with little to no issues at all. Just takes a little different driving style.
    how does it handle in the corners

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

I'll be running a 35 spline spool next season. If it is a fair weather/race car, I'd consider a spool b/c it has less rotating mass and less moving parts than a locker. It it was a DD, limited slip diff is he way to go.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    Fine, if you like to hear a click-click-bang-bang and have the rearend do a little shuffle. Again, I like it and doesn't bother me at all. Everyone looks at your car like its a piece of crap but I just laugh. (If they only knew, if they only knew LOL)

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Fine, if you like to hear a click-click-bang-bang and have the rearend do a little shuffle. Again, I like it and doesn't bother me at all. Everyone looks at your car like its a piece of crap but I just laugh. (If they only knew, if they only knew LOL)

Black
    99 SS

I have the spool, if your wanting to put down serious numbers thats the way I would go, and its not that bad to drive at all. and its the cheapest you can go

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02blkws6 View Post
    I'll be running a 35 spline spool next season. If it is a fair weather/race car, I'd consider a spool b/c it has less rotating mass and less moving parts than a locker. It it was a DD, limited slip diff is he way to go.

I drive mine all the time, but only in good weather obvisouly, and u really cant even tell a difference, just have to take the corners kinda slower then usual

Black
    99 SS

U really dont need the ABS

teal

yeah, the guy said that what i would want is a trutrac, i if i want a limited slip. I am going to be weighing the pros and cons, i really want a 9 sec car....so we shall see.

blue
    1997 camaro

With running with that kind a hp go with whats going to keep you on the track than on the trailer, at 900hp a limited slip rear end should be out of the questions, locker should be the only way to go and if you could deal with it I would spool it buy that my 2 cents

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If you are going to drag race I would definately go locker. I think what he means by abs inside or out is whether the abs ring is located inside the housing near the carrier or near the rotors. I think that a 4 channel abs would be out near the wheels. You would have 3 channel if you have traction control.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

If it matters a spool will wear your rear tires faster cause it drags them around turns. It won't handle as well in the twistys either.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

About the ABS...if you buy a 9" with the ABS, you you have to reuse your 10-Bolt ABS or do you get new ones with the rear?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    About the ABS...if you buy a 9" with the ABS, you you have to reuse your 10-Bolt ABS or do you get new ones with the rear?
    i believe you have a choice..of course getting the new one will be extra money. dont quote me on it...but i believe you have a choice

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    It will make it pull into the turn (kind of like oversteer) if you give it gas into a turn. Drove mine with a 9" and locker all over the place and I live on a twisty ass backroad in TN that eats up rotors in 6 months. So it can handle turns just know if you apply while into a turn it will pull into it further.

Thread Information