Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

4L60E Rebuild Difficulty?

I'm pretty sure that the sun shell on my 4L60E in my 98 Blazer went yesterday since I only have 1st and 4th available (no reverse). And I know that this is the same trans used in A4 f-bods, so maybe you guys can tell me if this is a difficult rebuild for the mechanically inclined. I worked at a repair shop for about 4 years but never did any major trans work.

There are rebuild manuals available, but one thing that caught my eye was an instructional rebuild DVD by Rick Metzing called "Automatic Transmission Vol. 1 GM 4L60E". From what I see, it looks like it only has good reviews, and I can get it new for just under $70. Doing this kind of work interests me, but I want to make sure that I wouldn't be in over my head.

But the bottom line is that I want to try and save my father's money, since it is his truck. What do you guys think?

Oh and what rebuild package do you recommend? ...Definitely need a new hardened sun shell for sure.

Thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You probablly only have 1st and 3rd. 2nd,4th and reverse needs the sunshell. A full rebuild is easiest with the right tools, however if all you need is the Sunshell, thats a piece of cake. I think you can handle it, especially w/ 4 years at a repair shop.
    And if you screw it up then just go get a used trans at a salvage yard.

White
    1998 Camaro

The sunshell is a snap. I've replaced hundreds of them. Make sure you pull the valvebody as the debris likes to get in there.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Thanks guys,
    Yeah it's definitely the sunshell (problematic part until 02 or 03 i think). i know the front pump seal was leaking too before this happened.

but as far as the rebuild goes, i have another option. my friend knows a guys who used to work on GM trans for years and now does repairs out of his home garage (with a lift.......i'm jealous) and he said he could probably do the whole job completely rebuilt for about 1000 bucks. Now i know that if i did it myself i'd probably be spending about 500 on a rebuild kit and another 100 bucks on the how-to dvd and manual. so maybe spending that extra 400 is worth it to save myself the time and know that it's done right.

even though i'd like to learn how to do it, maybe i should just bite the bullet.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Hey if all it needs is a Sunshell you're talking about a hundred bucks or less in parts and gaskets if you do all the labor yourself. My theory is...its just a Blazer...only fix what needs fixin' ? How many miles on this Blazer? If you really don't wanna fix it yourself that $1000 rebuild really ain't too bad!

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

It's got about 125k on it, and there's no other signs of major problems. usually i'm right with on the only fix what needs fixin' theory. but for the amount of labor to remove and reinstall the trans, why not do the entire rebuild since it is our towing vehicle for a 3500lb boat and trailer. Idk yet, i guess i'll have to think about it more

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Ooo yeah if your doing some towing then a rebuild is a good idea. There are some improvements you can do while your in there. Like updating the 3-4 clutch from 5 or 6 discs to 9 discs. Maybe a bigger, better servo to make sure that second gear band doesn't slip. The other clutches can be updated (if necessary) to Full-size truck spec (sometimes means getting one more clutch disc in there). Add a nice transcooler and your all set.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Yeah I agree, I definitely want to beef up the 3-4 clutch assy. and get a hardened sunshell. But I'm not familiar with that servo upgrade. What's that all about?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well I didn't do any servo upgrades on my Blazer when I rebuilt the trans but I believe there are servos out there with more surface area. More surface area means more holding force. I was towing a 20 foot inboard/outboard 454/Bravo 1 boat (maybe 3500 to 4000 pounds??) with my Blazer. I did a full rebuild, upgraded the 3-4 clutch and installed a nice aux trans cooler.

Thread Information