4L60E longevity and history

I've been doing a lot of reading up on transmissions lately and it has me wondering....Just how good are the trannies in our F-bodies??

I can't remember too many issues popping up on this forum but then I haven't been paying that much attention to tranny threads until now.

It seems we have an updated version of a 700R4 (700R4 became 4L60 -simply renamed, then the electronic version of that came out and was called the 4L60E)

I see Lots of complaints out there about the 700R4s and I wonder if they still exist in the 4L60E and in looking up the specs I also see that 4L60Es were only rated to handle a maximum of 360ftlbs of torque!!!

We put out pretty much the maximum amount of torque stock, and as we all like to mod surely a large number of us are exceeding this "limit".

I'm just wondering how these trannys tend to hold up with age (a.k.a. use) and how the extra power from mods tends to affect them over time. (I'm not talking crazy mods, just the average stuff we all do, lets say 40 or 50 extra hp and same increase over stock torque)

Black
    99 SS

IMO, its just a toss up, I salpped a cam in my LS1, and had the trans built, and In a 6 month period it had to be rebuilt 4 times. and one time I completely shattered the planatery gears!!!!!!!!

they became more comlicated because of the electronics involved and how they need to also be addressed when you start adding power and tunning to the car.

2000 Trans Am

no problems with mine with all my bolt ons. I just recently had it rebuilt after 100,000 miles and it was never ever serviced........
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Metallic Blue
    94 Z28 A4 T Tops 52K MINT

Smile

Hey there, It all denpends on the car. Every single car and trans is slightly different in every car. It also depends on the car was drivin when new, how well it was maintained, what kind of fluild & filter kit was used, etc. Preventive Maintance is key!!! (change trans filter & intill 5 qts fill every 12,000 miles or 1 year,) if you drive you car normal/daily driver, and get on it every once in a while, i'd change the trans filter and refill with about 5 quarts of good quaility AFT fluild, such as Amsoil ATF or Valvoline Maxlife ATF are both excellent products in my opion.
    (Have the fluild completely flushed and filled & of course change filter and gasket too, total fill for a 4L60E transmission is around 11 qts for most all f-body carsUnder harsher driving conditions such, a lot of stop & go driving in hot weather, drive the car hard, racing, etc.

OTHER TIPS & RECCOMENDATIONS!

-IT'S A GREAT IDEA TO INSTALL AN AFTERMARKET TRANSMISSION COOLER IN EVERY CAR, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DRIVE OR HOW HARD YOU DRIVE IT.

-I'D INSTALL A TRANSMISSION TEMP GAUGE, JUST IN CASE (GIVES YOU THAT EXTRA PEICE OF MIND) A TRANS RUNNING AT 170 DEGREES OR LESS IF A HAPPY TRANS!

-WITH THE 4L60E TRANS YOU'LL WANT TO INSTALL A GOOD SHIFT KIT, LIKE A TRANS GO. REALLY HELPS EXTEND TRANS LIFE BY LIMITING CLUTCH SLIPPAGE, REDUCING HEAT, ETC.

-CHECK THE TRAN FLUILD LEVEL AT LEAST EVERY FILL UP, AND SEE HOW IT LOOKS AND SMELLS TOO! (IF IT'S DARK COLORED AND SMELLS BURT YOU'LL WANT TO CHANGE IT A.S.A.P.)

-GOOD IDEA TO INSTALL A AFTERMARKET TRANSMISSION PAN DRAIN PLUG KIT. (MAKES CHANGING FILTER SO MUCH CLEANER & EASIER!!)

I hope all this helps,

Scott.. (my94zzz)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I've been doing a lot of reading up on transmissions lately and it has me wondering....Just how good are the trannies in our F-bodies??

I can't remember too many issues popping up on this forum but then I haven't been paying that much attention to tranny threads until now.

It seems we have an updated version of a 700R4 (700R4 became 4L60 -simply renamed, then the electronic version of that came out and was called the 4L60E)

I see Lots of complaints out there about the 700R4s and I wonder if they still exist in the 4L60E and in looking up the specs I also see that 4L60Es were only rated to handle a maximum of 360ftlbs of torque!!!

We put out pretty much the maximum amount of torque stock, and as we all like to mod surely a large number of us are exceeding this "limit".

I'm just wondering how these trannys tend to hold up with age (a.k.a. use) and how the extra power from mods tends to affect them over time. (I'm not talking crazy mods, just the average stuff we all do, lets say 40 or 50 extra hp and same increase over stock torque)

Metallic Blue
    94 Z28 A4 T Tops 52K MINT

Thumbs up

oh yeah i was running every bolt on out there and a 150 NX wet kit, In my ret 94 Z28 A4 with 141K original miles. My trans help up great and still running strong too..

P.S. I did have a TCI 2600 stall converter, B&M shift plus, transcooler, manual fan swith/with a 160 degree thermostat, B&M 4 extra deep alum trans pan/with cooling fins and mag drain plug, also had a B&M trans temp gauge too!!!

White
    1998 Trans Am

If you run a high stall, you want the HD clutch basket too. I run a 4600 stall, & have the beast basket in mine. Original 98 4L60e tranny. Drag racing it for 5 years now. Can't complain !!!

Thread Information