Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

4:10's or 3:73's in an a4

i stopped by blumenthols yesterday before going to work to look and a set of gears for my 01 ss a4 and they had a set of 4:10's and a set of 3:73's in stock for not much difference in price between the two. i have heard that 4:10's are a little too tall of a gear for an a4 especially on the highway but what do you guys think

1992 Firebird
    1998 Camaro SS

4.10 are gonna make put u pretty high in the rpms on the expressway. i wouldnt go 4.10 with an auto, but that's just me.
    1992 Firebird
    1998 Camaro SS
    2007 Cobalt SS- daily driver
    1986 Z28 383 stroker 4.56's
    1989 Crx-Si
    2001 F-150 4x4- winter DD

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

I have 4.10's in my car and love them. I turn 2,700 rpm at 70 on a 275/40/17 tire. The difference was night and day. I would try to find people with both setups and ask to drive there cars.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Deezl SS View Post
    I have 4.10's in my car and love them. I turn 2,700 rpm at 70 on a 275/40/17 tire. The difference was night and day. I would try to find people with both setups and ask to drive there cars.
    sounds good i already turn 2400-2500rpm at 75-80 with my 343's so i might be a little higher then u but maybe not but how much of a difference did it make as far as off the line and during acceleration

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I went with the 3.73's, however IF you couple it with a 3600 stall, that's when you will notice a tremendous difference.

SteveC

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It will solely depend on what your goals are with your car.

Will you be adding a cam down the road?

Ray Charles blue

I found Motive gear ring and pinion sets for $155. I am at college right now but can send the link when I get home. I am asking for them for Christmas.

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Hey steve

Hey steve You where trying to look out for me on smog now, trying to repay the favor with my two cents,

I have a 02 Z28, Full-built Level 10 trans, and I swap the 10 bolt for a moser 12 bolt I stuff that 12 bolt with 3.73 detorit true track posi and 33 spine axels, note On trans and high stall conveters, I had more 4L60e rebulit than the police acadmy movies, I first put in a BnM Shift kit, 3000 stall art carr conveter, trans blew, so I went to Ls1 motor sports(Aka quater mile performace) gave them 3000 bukes for a Level II rebult and keept the conveter, that trans blew again,(Everytime I blew a tranny was only in daily driveing I dont over rev my car or even took it to a track yet!!!) so I called them they went out of bussiness, then I turn to tci, every time it blew that had a story send it back you need new pump, send it back you need new billet coveter, and every time I send it back it cost my around 1500. , last chance I gave tci, his final exues was that I need gears the stock 10 blot an only 2.73s, so I had to save up for the 12 bolt, then I put the 12 bolt in, send the trans back to tci, 1500 more bucks, was driveing around for One year no problem then boom blew in my face at a stop light, Then when they cant sell no more part they tole me tom piss off, Then I was considering puting in a m6, but i have knee issues, then I was looking at Gm high performace, noticed the Level 10 ad that they had called level 10 then, I told them my whole stroy, and they told me the reason I was blowing all thoese trans, is becuase of the dam computer, if you dont tune your computer for the higher shall conveter the pump might open a vaule when you may or may not need it open or close!!! also this place dont just have level 1,2,3 rebult trans , before you even send them anything they, give you a spec sheet to fill out, base on the mods you have done on the car, and any mods you plan on doing and what you plan on useing the car for and they bulilt you a custum tranny just for you also, I had a diablosport predator, I send it to them they program the tranny parts for me so I will have no more probelms, I had the tranny for 3 years now and its still bangs hard when its shifts,

So getting back to what you where asking , gears in a 10blot will last just for a short bit, people of done them but just like the Romean or Persain empires they will not last,also posi is very essenal when chooseing gears, 3.73 is ideal for the street and auto crossing and some draging, but if you want a better drag racing car 4.10 and shorter is the way to go, so its really, its want you want to do with the car, I hope I helped and about my smog I have something to ask you sir, if you can check out my post you last visted thanks,

Maverick
    Last edited by Rmaverickz28; 11-04-2010 at 09:34 AM.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Rmaverickz28 View Post
    Hey steve You where trying to look out for me on smog now, trying to repay the favor with my two cents,

I have a 02 Z28, Full-built Level 10 trans, and I swap the 10 bolt for a moser 12 bolt I stuff that 12 bolt with 3.73 detorit true track posi and 33 spine axels, note On trans and high stall conveters, I had more 4L60e rebulit than the police acadmy movies, I first put in a BnM Shift kit, 3000 stall art carr conveter, trans blew, so I went to Ls1 motor sports(Aka quater mile performace) gave them 3000 bukes for a Level II rebult and keept the conveter, that trans blew again,(Everytime I blew a tranny was only in daily driveing I dont over rev my car or even took it to a track yet!!!) so I called them they went out of bussiness, then I turn to tci, every time it blew that had a story send it back you need new pump, send it back you need new billet coveter, and every time I send it back it cost my around 1500. , last chance I gave tci, his final exues was that I need gears the stock 10 blot an only 2.73s, so I had to save up for the 12 bolt, then I put the 12 bolt in, send the trans back to tci, 1500 more bucks, was driveing around for One year no problem then boom blew in my face at a stop light, Then when they cant sell no more part they tole me tom piss off, Then I was considering puting in a m6, but i have knee issues, then I was looking at Gm high performace, noticed the Level 10 ad that they had called level 10 then, I told them my whole stroy, and they told me the reason I was blowing all thoese trans, is becuase of the dam computer, if you dont tune your computer for the higher shall conveter the pump might open a vaule when you may or may not need it open or close!!! also this place dont just have level 1,2,3 rebult trans , before you even send them anything they, give you a spec sheet to fill out, base on the mods you have done on the car, and any mods you plan on doing and what you plan on useing the car for and they bulilt you a custum tranny just for you also, I had a diablosport predator, I send it to them they program the tranny parts for me so I will have no more probelms, I had the tranny for 3 years now and its still bangs hard when its shifts,

So getting back to what you where asking , gears in a 10blot will last just for a short bit, people of done them but just like the Romean or Persain empires they will not last,also posi is very essenal when chooseing gears, 3.73 is ideal for the street and auto crossing and some draging, but if you want a better drag racing car 4.10 and shorter is the way to go, so its really, its want you want to do with the car, I hope I helped and about my smog I have something to ask you sir, if you can check out my post you last visted thanks,

Maverick
    took me a while to read it but defiantely good info. anyways im not into auto cross but i do take it to the track quite a bit. on the other hand i do drive highway alot and i plan on putting a 3600 yank stall when i get the money to have it all done at once so now im thiking that a 3:73 ratio would be better seeing as what i drive most of the time.

to 35th anv.

i plan on putting a 228r cam with a set of stage 2 patriot heads hopefully this winter and after i get the suspension finished

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    I found Motive gear ring and pinion sets for $155. I am at college right now but can send the link when I get home. I am asking for them for Christmas.
    p.m. it to me if its not a sponsor please

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I would say 3.73's.
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I think 3.73's will give you the performance gain you are looking for.

4.10's will really hinder your highway driving and MPG, the car will be in 4th by like 30MPH.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Yes, a computer tune is a must, and so is a trans cooler, I have had a 3k stall and 3.73 for close to 10 years now, and my vehicle is not a daily driver, and has not been to the track.

SteveC

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Yes, a computer tune is a must, and so is a trans cooler, I have had a 3k stall and 3.73 for close to 10 years now, and my vehicle is not a daily driver, and has not been to the track.

SteveC
    I see i think our cars came with a aux. trans cooler. correct me if im wrong but i have decided to go with a set of 373's just cause i dont want to mess with my highway driving

pewter
    01 ws-6, 09 G8 GT...

I had 410 on my ss a4 bad on the highway but bad ass at the track ..
    2001 camaro ss sold
    2006 jeep srt-8 sold
    2001 trans am ws-6
    1999 formula 5.7 (WORK CAR)
    2009 G8 GT...

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by elmarro View Post
    I had 410 on my ss a4 bad on the highway but bad ass at the track ..
    thats what i was worrying about was that it would kill my highway driving but thanks for the info man i figured that someone had done this to a a4

pewter
    01 ws-6, 09 G8 GT...

But if I had the a4 I would do it again ..

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by elmarro View Post
    But if I had the a4 I would do it again ..
    really?

pewter
    01 ws-6, 09 G8 GT...

Yea I had them for bout 2yr n it wasn't that bad ,my friend had 373s on his 2mo later he put the 410, I guess he felt a big difference ...

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

Over here you get pulled over for doing over 70 so for me, the 4.10's on the highway are not a problem. I really think you should try to find people close by with both first and judge for yourself. I was lucky, I wanted 3.73's first but my mothers bf kept telling me to go with 4.10's. He ended up getting me 4.10's for christmas last year with the promise that if I didn't like them, he would buy me the 3.73's to replace them. I love them and will not be changing them.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information