Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

4.10 gears worth it?

Hello gents....i was thinking of installing 4.10's in my 01 SS. Question is.... will i see improvements in the quarter mile? Everything I've read has been leaning towards yes. I have an m6 with basically all bolt on's. Currently pulling 12.7's at track. I've been told 4.10's would help.Don't have the $$ to do a cam install. Someone mentioned gears would be a nice mod for a decent price. Is there anything concerning about putting 4.10's in? What are the best to buy and what prices am i looking at for install and parts? Any advice would be appreciated.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you get traction launching, yes. Several factors come into play though. The downfall is a smaller pinion and teeth to achieve a lower gear. This makes the pinion weaker and it you have a stock 10 bolt, launching the car hard with a 4.10 gear and traction will likely lead to a broken pinion.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Exactly. You'll benefit from the gear change so long as you can put it the pavement at the line.

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds fun and a little worrisome at the same time. I'm a fan of acceleration, but i'd hate to put $$ into the gears if there was a chance the pinion would break.
    I wonder what the likelihood of those breaking are. Someone mentioned GM or Motive gears are pretty strong\durable gears. Do you guys know how much a garage would charge to put those bad boys in? And, what brand are the best for 10 bolt?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

We are trying to tell not to invest in 10 bolt gears. Save the money for a new rear and it would be better spent. But to answer your question Motive gears are the go to gear for most guys. A shop will charge around $150-$250 to swap out the gears.

You might be good to launch on street tires but like Jon stated.....it's not if but when you'll break the 10 bolt.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Guys break stock 10 bolts on stock hp all the time. Save up your money and get either a 9" or 12 bolt rear end. Throw one of those under the car and you won't have to worry ever unless you start making stupid amounts of power. I don't take the car to the drag strip or stop light race for the simple fact I don't want to pick up parts of my 10 bolt off the road.
    Last edited by raynor139; 05-28-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Spend the 3k for a Strange S60. It is money well spent.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information