White with silver stripes
    2000 Trans Am WS6

3:73's Or 4:10's

which ratio would be better for a 6-speed with car stock rear, some engine mods, and suspension. not a daily driver but driven often around town just whippin ass and rarely sees the track. engine rebuild with heads/cam/ ect in the near future. i heard GM gears dont whine as much as some aftermarket gears, i know it mostly depends on how good the install is. anyways, what ratios/brand are you guys runnin and how do you like em? thanks for ur help and opinions!

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

4.10's definitly. as for brands... Motive is supposed to be good quality and stay fairly quiet, Richmond is good quality too but hear they tend to make more noise. I've also heard Strange makes some quality gears

2000 Trans Am WS6

thanks man, ive heard that motive and richmond make the most noise. but then again most noise depends on the quality of installation ect ect. ill take a look at strange though, i forgot about them! anyone else?
    00' ws6, custom paint, bolt on's and bolt in's.. http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=11454

Black
    '00 T/A WS6

If this is not your daily driver go with 4.10's. I had 4.10's in my T/A for almost 2 years, but to be honest my car is a daily driver. After working close to 70 hours per week, the extra shifting was becoming annoying from the 4.10's. So I switched to 3.73's for me the these are perfect for daily driving. But if my car was not by daily drive, I would have stayed with 4.10's. The fun factor is great.

As for gears, I have had the Strange brand both times. I did the proper break in with both, but had very little whine with the 4.10's. I do not hear any whining with the 3.73's.

Good luck with your choice!

NBM
    99 Camaro SS

3.73's are nice 4.10's are better ! With a six speed it should have been a factory option. Go with GM Superior's & put a T/A cover on it while your there.

99SS1111 M6 NBM

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by WS.6 Man
    If this is not your daily driver go with 4.10's. I had 4.10's in my T/A for almost 2 years, but to be honest my car is a daily driver. After working close to 70 hours per week, the extra shifting was becoming annoying from the 4.10's. So I switched to 3.73's for me the these are perfect for daily driving. But if my car was not by daily drive, I would have stayed with 4.10's. The fun factor is great.

As for gears, I have had the Strange brand both times. I did the proper break in with both, but had very little whine with the 4.10's. I do not hear any whining with the 3.73's.

Good luck with your choice!
    I agree. Just had this conversation with my mechanic buddy. I'm going with 3.73's because I do drive it almost daily and want some mileage outta it too. Go with 4.10's if you want to jerk yourself to death back and forth because you can't hold your foot pedal still. Every bump you hit your gonna jerk the car. Ya it would seem fun for awhile to run 4.10's but for me I think I'd get sick of it quick.

2000 Trans Am WS6

ive been asking alot of people, you guys helped out alot too but basically eveyone has said 3:73's for 6-speeds and 4:10s for autos... im thinkin GM 3:73's. but still not 100% thanks for your opinions guys, keep em comin

NBM
    99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by wesTXwitesnake05
    ive been asking alot of people, you guys helped out alot too but basically eveyone has said 3:73's for 6-speeds and 4:10s for autos... im thinkin GM 3:73's. but still not 100% thanks for your opinions guys, keep em comin

I think you have it exactly backwords. With autom. you want to go with 3.73's & 6spd go with the 4.10's.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I have 4.11's and drive my car over 40 miles day (I rarely drive highway). I remember reading this guys post on ls1tech a while ago saying 4.30's are the perfect street gear for a m6, but I never could understand it.

My friend has 4.56's in his 02 mustang (5-sp) and drives it every day and I think that's a little too extreme for a 5 speed. I'll be switching to 4.30's soon whenever I get my 9" needless to say.

And as far as the whole jerking around and hitting bumps and shifting a lot, I don't have that problem and I have a very tempermental clutch. Especially with the cam you will be wishing you would of got at least 4.10's.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Running 4.10s on my 6-spd daily driver (~50 miles a day, combined local & highway). They don't bother me. The set I'm using are Precision Gear. You can only hear them around 35-40 MPH. Other than that, as quiet as the stock gears.

2000 Trans Am WS6

i think im gonna go with strange 4:10s and a TA rear end cover, thanks for the help guys!

Thread Information