Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3:73 vs. 3:90

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

3:73 vs. 3:90

So I have benn looking across these threads and have found a few post's on this already but I'm still not sure.

I have a 2002 ws6 with a M6 and kinda want to do gears. Want sothmething to give it a little more on the street but not be blowing the tires off. I also am conserned about the rear end sterength. So what I'm stuck between is 3:73 and 3:90 motive grears. What do you guys think, any of you with the M6 have these. I know many talk about 4:10 but I think I dont want to go that low.
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

None

4:10 is to much for a daily driver or even much street use.
    I have 3:73's stock on my 02 SS, with a some mods... I am
    happy there, it goes for top speed and fun off the line!
    Then they cover most any kind off racing at my level.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

I see that the specs for the Motive gears are

3:73 41 teeth on the ring and 11 on the pinion

4:10 41 teeth on the ring and 10 on the pinion

So now where does a 3:90 fall into that, and is this another possible week point?

None

I cannot directly say... Yet there not real popular
    the 3:90's, what does that mean?

Then that could mean alot!

I can only say what I know. Give Ur thread more time
    U will get many more better replys better then mine!

white
    2000 Z28

4:10s from what i hear just makes you use 6th a bit more and 3:73s arent a big enough jump for most to feel i understand the low gear situation your talking about but it wouldnt hurt you high speeds as much as it would hurt me seeing as how my z is an a4 not an m6. you have 2 whole gears over me so it shouldnt be a huge loss for you. i would assume 4:10s would leave you more than planty to play with on an occasional roll. i dont think there is much you can do about the tire situation because from what it sounds like you want more power but it would be irrelevant if you had tires that dont hook up. and getting tires that do hook up dont last a long time in the first place.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

Anyone else have some input on this? I know for sure I dont want the 4:10's

And how about some gear only upgrades with shown 1/4 mile times. Anybody got he lsips befor the gears and then after?

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

4.30's in my 9" as a daily summer driver. Anything lower than 4.10's is a waste of time, money and fun.

I Had 3.90's in my 10 bolt and was highly disapointed.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Rich67 View Post
    Anyone else have some input on this? I know for sure I dont want the 4:10's

And how about some gear only upgrades with shown 1/4 mile times. Anybody got he lsips befor the gears and then after?
    373s are a waste of money in an M6 you won't notice much of a difference. 390s is the least i'd do. I don't know why you are against 410s they are ideal for an M6. I went 410s and it still drives great. MPG is almost the same and highway driving is fine. The only regret I have about it is not saving the $$$ and just getting a Moser or Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by SS02 View Post
    If your rear is stock you do not have 373s. All M6s came with 342s.

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

I just had the rear-end go out on my 2000 Camaro SS M6, and replaced the stock 3:46 with 3:73 gears. Despite what people say about "seeing no difference" between the two, I think they're full of sh*t, and probably never had the work done on their car in the first place. I definately felt a big jump in low-end punch when I had the work done to my car. Hell, I was pissed to find out I had to spend $1,000+ to get the rear end rebuilt to begin with...but when the results where in the car felt like it gained a half second or so in the 0-60 times. I guess you'll gain even more low end grunt with 4:10's or 3:90's, but you'll lose top end grunt, and gas mileage as well...ok, no one cares about gas mileage here! Al Gore can kiss my ass and merry a penguin on a "dissapearing" iceberg for all I care.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    If your rear is stock you do not have 373s. All M6s came with 342s.
    +1 and knoll did you pick up another ten bolt or something else?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by SS02 View Post
    Says who? 4:10s or not at all imo. Dont be a sissie.

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    I just had the rear-end go out on my 2000 Camaro SS M6, and replaced the stock 3:46 with 3:73 gears. Despite what people say about "seeing no difference" between the two, I think they're full of sh*t, and probably never had the work done on their car in the first place. I definately felt a big jump in low-end punch when I had the work done to my car. Hell, I was pissed to find out I had to spend $1,000+ to get the rear end rebuilt to begin with...but when the results where in the car felt like it gained a half second or so in the 0-60 times. I guess you'll gain even more low end grunt with 4:10's or 3:90's, but you'll lose top end grunt, and gas mileage as well...ok, no one cares about gas mileage here! Al Gore can kiss my ass and merry a penguin on a "dissapearing" iceberg for all I care.
    Speaking of full of shit there is no way you picked .5 seconds 0-60 going from 342s to 373s. You better have your butt dyno checked because it's broken. You'd be lucky to pick up a tenth in the 1/4 mi with that swap.

410s lost me an entire .5mpg and you will only lose MPH that no one uses up top.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Speaking of full of shit there is no way you picked .5 seconds 0-60 going from 342s to 373s. You better have your butt dyno checked because it's broken. You'd be lucky to pick up a tenth in the 1/4 mi with that swap.

410s lost me an entire .5mpg and you will only lose MPH that no one uses up top.
    Haha this is true. I only lost less than 1mpg myself w/4:10s. Anyone who spends $1,000 to have a 10 bolt rebuilt is a moron to begin with.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

I'm with you I'm debating with 3.90's or 4.10's I'm leaning towards 3.90's but luckily have a long time to think about it... generally if you're debating between 3.73 and 3.90 its a simple as 3.73 for A4 and 3.90 for M6 plain and simple... 3.90's you won't be dissapointed guaranteed...

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I have an A4, and put in 3.90's cuz of all my other tranny mods. I love them, but haven't been to the track yet. I'm sure the Nittos don't stand a chance. It's still a perfectly fine daily driver. If I had an M6, I would go 4.10's for sure.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

Does anyone have more info in the number of teeth and that ratio?

Does anyone have more info in the number of teeth and that ratio?
    Not quite sure why you are worried about this. The 10 bolt is a weak POS mod it at your own risk. Most aftermarket gears will be stronger then the stock ones you have do to the material type and manufacturing process. Installed properly they should not be the weak link. 410s will definitely give you traction problems so it sounds to me like 390s would be the best fit for what you want. I'm happy with what I have now I just second guess the expense of the gear swap I made because my long term goals for my car will necessitate the need for a new rear end at some point and I hate spending money twice.

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

Well so far from this info I'm kinda leaning to the 3:90 gears. I live in Minnesota and the car is in storage for the winter. I think I will just watch this area to see if there are anymore posts to this and buy them closer to the spring time.
    Thanks anymore input would be greatly appreciated

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Well so far from this info I'm kinda leaning to the 3:90 gears. I live in Minnesota and the car is in storage for the winter. I think I will just watch this area to see if there are anymore posts to this and buy them closer to the spring time.
    Thanks anymore input would be greatly appreciated
    What is your logic behind wanting 3:90s over 4:10s?

Thread Information