Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.73 gears

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

3.73 gears

Anybody know which kind of gears would be the strongest to hold up ina 98 ss. I got 315's on the back that are gonna provide a lot of bite. What should I go with? Motive,gm,richmond etc?thanks

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I'd worry about the axle vs. just the gears...

Ray Charles blue

I agree......

I picked up the Heat Treated Motive Racing gears for my car. They come in a red box and not a blue one. There is a difference between them.

The 3.73 gears are a HUGE upgrade and with an A4 are great for the street and the strip.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

is your car an m6 or a4? If it's an m6 then ya the axles would probably go before the gears, if it's an a4 I wouldnt worry about the rear ends strength too much. Autos are much easier on the drivetrain than m6's so the rearends rarely break. With that said richmonds tend to be a stronger gear but as a consequence of the harder metal you will get more gear wine. So if that doesn't bother you richmonds are a great choice, if you want it to be nice and quiet then I recommend AAM, Yukon or maybe some motives.

Ray Charles blue

Mine didnt have much sound to them at all. The exhaust sort of took over afte 2k. lol

I have heard the Richmonds are noisy but that is waht I used in my 8.5 years ago and they were decently quiet, again the exhaust was loud. lol

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

in my 02 z im running 3.73s with ms4 cam and ss3600 stall and its very street friendly. Ran a 7.76 in the 1/8 on street tires.

Yellow
    2006 Z06 LSX 427 TT Corve

I have 3:72 from DTE

red
    2002 z/28

save your money and get a 12 bolt. rebuilt my 10 bolt 3 times in three years.

Yellow
    2006 Z06 LSX 427 TT Corve

Quote Originally Posted by 383ls6 View Post
    save your money and get a 12 bolt. rebuilt my 10 bolt 3 times in three years.
    I agree buy a 12 bolt it will be worth the extra money and might be a good time to find on eBay or the forums.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

Richmond gears or Motive Performance gears are going to be the hardest.

The ring and pinion always chip and break before anything else goes. The pinion is just too small.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    is your car an m6 or a4? If it's an m6 then ya the axles would probably go before the gears, if it's an a4 I wouldnt worry about the rear ends strength too much. Autos are much easier on the drivetrain than m6's so the rearends rarely break. With that said richmonds tend to be a stronger gear but as a consequence of the harder metal you will get more gear wine. So if that doesn't bother you richmonds are a great choice, if you want it to be nice and quiet then I recommend AAM, Yukon or maybe some motives.
    Not true. You do stand a better chance of not grenading the rear with an auto, but I know quite a few people who have destroyed them. V6's have been known to break them. The bottom line with a 7.5"/7.65" 10 bolt is, if you have traction, they will not last. They were never engineered to handle the amount of power a stock ls1 produces.

Red
    99 Z28

I am getting ready to order some motive gears. Is there a installation kit that provides all new bearings and such that I will need to put the gears in instead of piecing a kit together?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Not true. You do stand a better chance of not grenading the rear with an auto, but I know quite a few people who have destroyed them. V6's have been known to break them. The bottom line with a 7.5"/7.65" 10 bolt is, if you have traction, they will not last. They were never engineered to handle the amount of power a stock ls1 produces.
    M6's will also break 12 bolts too... 10 bolts arent optimized for our cars at all however there are PLENTY of people running in the low 11's on dr's with cam and head work on the stock unopened 10 bolt because the stall simply doesnt hit the rear end as hard as dropping the clutch especially if you load the stall at the line. I'm not saying I wouldnt want a rear end eventually but it would be far from my first mod choice on an a4. I'd like to start a poll on here to see who breaks their rear and id be wiling to put money that 7-8 out of the 10 are 6 speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by scott5 View Post
    I am getting ready to order some motive gears. Is there a installation kit that provides all new bearings and such that I will need to put the gears in instead of piecing a kit together?
    Yes jaws gears sells a whole install kit I believe its around 110 bucks for the whole kit. also make sure you order the red box motives as they are a bit stronger than the blue box.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    M6's will also break 12 bolts too... 10 bolts arent optimized for our cars at all however there are PLENTY of people running in the low 11's on dr's with cam and head work on the stock unopened 10 bolt because the stall simply doesnt hit the rear end as hard as dropping the clutch especially if you load the stall at the line. I'm not saying I wouldnt want a rear end eventually but it would be far from my first mod choice on an a4. I'd like to start a poll on here to see who breaks their rear and id be wiling to put money that 7-8 out of the 10 are 6 speeds.
    I would agree that it's probably a higher number of m6's that break them. And, it probably wouldn't be my first mod. But, I would do it before I started anything on the motor, or put slicks on. It seems to be the luck of the draw with them. I know people with A4 V6's that have broken them. Given their track record, I'd rather be safe. I've had to trailer my car home from the track, and the side of the road, back when I had my 10 bolt. Luckily, I have a flatbed trailer and truck. Not everyone does though. And if it's a DD, there's no way I wouldn't be swapping it out, if I planned to play with it too. But that's just me. And I'm a lead foot

Ray Charles blue

I would run it till she pops.

It would give a good show at the track to see it explode. lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post

Maybe you will even be lucky enough to twist the drive-shaft in half and have it come through your floorboard too while you're at it

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Maybe you will even be lucky enough to twist the drive-shaft in half and have it come through your floorboard too while you're at it
    I also could get a look at a t-bone steak by putting my head up a bulls ass. haha

I dont have the Z28 anymore and not much to worry about with the Vette. The stock tires suck so bad that the most will happen is spin the piss out of them. lol

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I had my to 10 bolt grenade at the track. While it was loud as hell when it went there was no show. It snapped at the line as I launched and nothing came out of the diff. I bet I ran a 1.4 60" on the launch but shut it down as soon as it happened and moved against the wall. I did not want to oil the track down. I ran mid 11's for about a year and a half before it went. I did make one change and it was a BMR TA. IMO the stiffness of the TA is what took the 10 bolt out. FYI I had been running race slicks for that year and a half.

But if I were to do it all over again I would save for a 12 bolt or 9" and then do the gear change. Why spend money twice (3.73's 1st then a 12 bolt?) save the money and do it right the first time..
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 02-02-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Ray Charles blue

Very true............I would go 9" or S60.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Very true............I would go 9" or S60.
    So far I love my S60, I even broke the rules and went 4.10s with a A4

Thread Information