Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue
    98 Trans Am

10 bolt with slicks

i was thinking about putting slicks on my 98 t/a i put a 3400 fuddle stall in it and now it smokes the tires half way through 2nd gear i know the factory axles won't handle it so i was gonna put some moser axles in it. im not ready to spend the money for a whole moser rearend ,tell me what u think will it work or am i gonna be walkin home lol

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Its the gears that are weak.. and the axles. Get a 12 bolt or go for broke with the 9 inch

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Fuck 10 bolts!

Black
    99 Formula

If your running slower than 12s that rear can last awhile with A4. They don't last a day with M6's. My friends got a A4 that has run as fast as 12.2 having made several hundred passes on stock rear. The A4 just aint as abusive. My wife's third gen has 10 bolt with 4.10s and stock axles 3500 stall convertor and has made over a 100 passes on it. Last pass which was today was 11.93 @ 117.95, her first 11 second run.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by cuzimoto View Post
    If your running slower than 12s that rear can last awhile with A4. They don't last a day with M6's. My friends got a A4 that has run as fast as 12.2 having made several hundred passes on stock rear. The A4 just aint as abusive. My wife's third gen has 10 bolt with 4.10s and stock axles 3500 stall convertor and has made over a 100 passes on it. Last pass which was today was 11.93 @ 117.95, her first 11 second run.

Isnt neccesarily true. They can pop at anytime. Just the m6 is a bit more abusive to it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you want to play you have to pay is the saying right? I am looking at the Moser 9" myself. $2400....ouch. A shop owner told me the same thing that everyone else is saying...A4 might be OK. M6 can literally go at any time.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Its the gears that are weak.. and the axles. Get a 12 bolt or go for broke with the 9 inch
    ...its the pumpkin/carrier..it flexes way to much..causing the gears to deviate from the teeth contact area and grenades the entire rear...that matched with stupid ass c clips = disaster

Black
    02 SS camaro

If your much over 450 ponies, axles are a waste. For all the money you will put into the stock rear, a 12 inch would be less expensive in the long run.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

We turn 1.6 60's on the factory rearend and axles, never had a single problem. BTW, the car is a A4 and we are spraying a 175 shot right off the line on M/T drag radials.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Wheel hopping 1.52 60'

10.62 @ 128 on a 3.42 stock 10 bolt. I use 26-10.50-16 ET Streets

98' trans am

there are always exceptions to the norm..but let me tell you THE NORM. if your pushing serious numbers then the 10 bolt is out..a4 or m6 ..PERIOD

You guys running 1.5 and 1.6 60's are on borrowed time with those 10 bolts,,,,whether auto or not. Probably a very light car is the only thing saving you right now.
    Eventually it's going to break,,,and if you're lucky you might not wreck the car and/or someone elses,,,or worse yet,,,someone gets hurt in the process.

I can't believe there are still people out there that spend tons of money are so worried about making their car as fast as possible but don't want to spend a dime on the rearend It's just asking for trouble. It's why the NHRA has ET and MPH rules for c-clip eliminators, drive shaft loops and such.

I've been in these situations,,,no more for me,,,and I would have to say if someone came accross the center line on me because they were too cheap to put an acceptable rearend in the car I would have to get out and put a couple knots on their heads and hope it was a lesson learned.

Edit: I mean that in the nicest way possible,,lol.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-11-2008 at 07:06 AM.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

^^Actually thats on a stock weight car, no lightening at all.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I really wish GM didn't skimp on the reliability of the 10 bolt (and nearly everything else on the f body). how stout are the ls1 vette rear ends?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Vettes have IRS. ITs just harder to launch with and they wont be able to lift the front tires

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

And I really wish they had cheaper rear ends. All the ones available are like bullit proof. I just want one that could handle like 600 or 700 hp not 1,500hp

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You guys running 1.5 and 1.6 60's are on borrowed time with those 10 bolts,,,,whether auto or not. Probably a very light car is the only thing saving you right now.
    Eventually it's going to break,,,and if you're lucky you might not wreck the car and/or someone elses,,,or worse yet,,,someone gets hurt in the process.

I can't believe there are still people out there that spend tons of money are so worried about making their car as fast as possible but don't want to spend a dime on the rearend It's just asking for trouble. It's why the NHRA has ET and MPH rules for c-clip eliminators, drive shaft loops and such.

I've been in these situations,,,no more for me,,,and I would have to say if someone came accross the center line on me because they were too cheap to put an acceptable rearend in the car I would have to get out and put a couple knots on their heads and hope it was a lesson learned.

Edit: I mean that in the nicest way possible,,lol.
    I agree. I will never understand why someone will invest 10K plus in engine and tranny mods yet balk at 2500 for a bullet proof rear. The 10 bolt is a POS and if you want to go fast safely get rid of it. Put slicks on and you will be on borrowed time. Maybe you will get a 100 passes out of it but maybe 101 breaks halfway down the track and your car is wasted. Not worth the risk IMO.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I really wish GM didn't skimp on the reliability of the 10 bolt (and nearly everything else on the f body). how stout are the ls1 vette rear ends?
    for stock applications and reasonable DD..the 10 bolt is satisfactory...if you really want to know why gm skimped on those parts..because it used all of its budget on giving you the top of the line motor and overall a very solid drivetrain..even tho the 4l60e isnt the best gm is/was out ot make money and when they designed these cars they where targeted to the mustang group etc..so price was a huge factor.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    for stock applications and reasonable DD..the 10 bolt is satisfactory...if you really want to know why gm skimped on those parts..because it used all of its budget on giving you the top of the line motor and overall a very solid drivetrain..even tho the 4l60e isnt the best gm is/was out ot make money and when they designed these cars they where targeted to the mustang group etc..so price was a huge factor.
    This is true.

The mistake they made was not the fact that they put a 10 bolt in F-bodies, its the fact that its the 7.5" 10 bolt. For the extremely small amount of money it would have cost, GM should have equipped our cars with the 8.5" 10 bolt. Guarentee we wouldn't even see half the rear end failures that we have, and guys running 500HP or less wouldn't have to upgrade to aftermarket rears for fear of the stock one breaking from a hard launch.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    GM already had the tooling finished for the torque arm 7.5 inch rearend since 1975,,,,it would have been too costly to retool another housing in something stronger unfortunately so GM went with it.

Thread Information