Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trans Am owner
    former

10 bolt life: roll racing

so, lets say I am goin from a 50 roll in 2nd gear, I spray a 100 kit on a full bolt on LT1 with nitto DR's.

will I have to worry about the rear end breaking? or does the rearend snap when you just launch it?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Majority of rear end wear in general when talking about these cars power... Is on launch.

Thats of only if you hook obviously. If your hooking with stock(or a "built" ten bolt) your gonna break sooner than later.

From a roll, I bet you could get away with it for quite awhile IMO.

Trans Am owner
    former

cool. on spray I was lookin for about 450 whp. off spray maybe 320-350 whp.

this is through nitto DR's and 3.73's with a 3200 stall. I am estimating a good amount of tire slip, and with the tires I got now, I could probly blow em off through 3rd gear!

okay. so if I take it easy on the launches, I should be alright. now I need to worry about trans life, and eventually the moser 12 bolt holdin it up

blue
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i popped my built 10 bolt rear from a 45mph roll in an automatic...... so u never know when the 10 bolts gonna say goodbye and walk away lol

I always tell the customers I dealt with to start your modding in the rear of the car first when it comes to 3rd and 4th gens. Then work your way forward from there. That way there are no surprises down the road.
    I shake my head at all the 3rd and 4th gens I see forsale making 400+ HP and even a few at 500 rwhp still running the stock 10 bolts. Man thats scary stuff.
    I made a pass at the track in an LT1 6 speed that was a friend of mine. Worked on the car for him, made 450 rwhp N/A out of a high strung 355,,,so 4.10 gears were installed in the stock 10 bolt. On a drag radial that we purposely ran alot of air pressure in to induce some tire spin and save the rear to an extent,,,,,it didn't work. This car ran some easy tire spinning 11.60's at 118 mph.
    On one pass in particular,,,,I was going for 3rd gear at roughly 60-70 mph or so,,,when the rearend literally exploaded,,,busting the transmission tailhousing completely off (ruining the trans) as well and spraying down the track,,,,oil on the rear tires at that speed nearly sent me into the wall, which would have totalled the car for sure. Don't know how I kept it in my lane but it sure made my butt pucker,,,I could have easily taken the other car out as well,,,hate to think what that little incident would have cost me,,,,I'm willing to bet alot more than $3,000 for a good rearend to begin with.
    It made me a firm believer in axing those 10 bolts in favor of something better right off the bat.

If you love your car,,,,and the guys in the other lane as well,,,,I'd spring for a rearend first.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1 > LS1 View Post
    cool. on spray I was lookin for about 450 whp. off spray maybe 320-350 whp.
    You will be fine. My car made 478whp on spray and I did a couple of rolls and it was good.

Is it just me or does this questioned get asked every day? There's even a sticky at the top of this forum. A simple search will show that the stock 10 is a POS. No one can say with any confidence yours will be fine. For every guy with a 400+hp car that has had one survive there is a guy with stock one that has not. Just look at the responses in this thread. It's nothing but a crap shoot. One I'm still playing too. Just so damn expensive to replace it!

Black
    2000 Z-28

Well hopefully what happened to FirebirdJones doesn't happen to you but honestly, is it worth the risk. When it comes to your safety and others safety, why take a chance?

2002 z28 camaro

i had 3.73 gears they did not last long. now i am back on my 2.73's, and have made 8 passes so far with no problems spraying (125 shot) right before the 60', with the best of a 1.65 60'

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Have I found the the answer?
    Moser 9inch for a little over a grand from summit?
    On top of that we can get a discount from them because they are a sponsor?
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Have I found the the answer?
    Moser 9inch for a little over a grand from summit?
    On top of that we can get a discount from them because they are a sponsor?
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Last time I looked at these there were closer to 2 grand and even more, how come I see them a lot cheaper now?

That is just the bare housing with axles,,,,a grand is pretty typical for that much. You still have a long way to go for the rest of it. Another $1,500 or so should get it ready to drop in.

Edit: I should add that price will vary depending on options
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-09-2008 at 06:32 PM.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

What else would I need?

Trans Am owner
    former

the center section.....

that comes with the ring & pinion usually

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

So I cant use my stock gears?

3rd member, gears, setup kit,,some sort of locker or posi unit depending on what you prefer,,,,a yoke,,,backing plates, brake lines, rotors, calipers, caliper hoses.
    Also not clear if those axles come with bearings, seals etc....
    Then there is the options like whether or not you have traction control, which would require the reluctor wheel on the 3rd member assembly.

Some of this can be robbed from you factory rearend like the brake hardware etc...then there is the nickle and dime stuff like gear oil, brake fluid, gaskets.

The yoke you choose will dictate what is needed for a driveshaft. Generally a 1350 series yoke is the choice of most,,,which at the very least will require an adaptor u-joint if you plan to keep the stock driveshaft,,,,but generally most have a custom shaft built to accept the 1350 series joints,,,and that requires a new front yoke as well.
    It just keeps going one thing after another

Trans Am owner
    former

no

ford 9" uses a 9" ring.

we have what 7.5"........thats why the 9" is so much stronger. much more gear....among other things

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    So I cant use my stock gears?
    No sir.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I'd like to upgrade my rear but the cost of the aftermarket rears is just too much for me to spend all at once.

The problem is most of us guys running 300-400HP don't need a bulletproof 9" or Dana 60 or even a 12 bolt, they are really just overkill for a daily driver.

I wish one of the aftermarket rear companies would come out with a Ford 8.8 or GM 8.5 thats a direct bolt in for out stock rears. Last I checked you could get an 8.8 for a Mustang for less than $1500, thats much more affordable than the average $3,000 cost for a 9", 12 bolt, or S60 and would easily stand up to the majority of abuse that a car is going to see on the street. Same with the GM 8.5, it does service in GM's full size trucks, and would be perfect for street driven bolt on LS1's.

Thread Information