Thread: 10 bolt fear!!

black
    1998 Camaro SS

10 bolt fear!!

I just watched several videos on youtube of 10 bolts breakin. im now very scared. i didnt really know how bad they were till after i spend all the money i have on heads/cam/headers/nitrous. ill be sitting around 480-500hp on spray with stock rear end. is there anything i can do to prolong is life until i have enough cash to get a 12 bolt other than no burnouts or launches? Will one of those rear end covers really strengthen it?

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

they are really not that bad, ive been thru only 1 in all my years, although i dont have that much power, its just really in the maintenance and how much you beat on it,

i have a buddy making 520hp 580tq on a stock clutch, stock tranny and stock rear with mickey's without any problems.

just save up, you will be fine

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Avoid all launches and burnouts like you said. Some are luckier than others, but there is nothing you can do that will strengthen that 10 bolt to hold up to the power you put through it. Just upgrade your rearend ASAP.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

White
    01 SS Vert

Why no burnouts? The launches I see being an issue with all the additional stress and load....but with burnouts/kicking it sidways, I don't see nearly as much stress as lauching it at 3000 rpm with slicks.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by 01 SS Vert View Post
    Why no burnouts? The launches I see being an issue with all the additional stress and load....but with burnouts/kicking it sidways, I don't see nearly as much stress as lauching it at 3000 rpm with slicks.
    you doubt our advice? preston and I have been thru a couple F body's in our time.

i doubt you could put any noteable stress on your rear without a big tire, my assumption is you have a drag radial at best there for your rear sees much more abuse and stress., were just saying be easy on it, and it will last till you can afford a 12 bolt or what have you.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

i was looking at some 9" rear ends on texas speed and was wondering what is full spool and detroit locker. whats the difference? also was wondering what the best gears for my 98 ss m6 daily driver would be.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

4:10s for the gears.

12 bolts

Having personally destroyed 3 10 bolts on the shop car with (soft launches), I can tell you that the 10 bolt is not going to hold up to drag launches with sticky tires for very long.

The automatic equipped cars usually help the 10 bolt to live longer since it takes some of the shock out of the drivetrain. The 6 speed cars are way more likely to shred the rear end on hard launches especially if you go to a 4.10 gear where you have more torque multiplication and physically smaller teeth on the gears.

Some people put on a rear end girdle but that will only marginally help.

Since a blown up 10 bolt will probably cost you 600-1000.00 each time, blow up two and you paid for a 12 bolt. You can also do the 9" ford which is a bit stronger than the 12 bolt.

We sell the Moser rear ends and they are very dependable and you can retain your ABS and traction control as well.
    Fast Toys Performance Parts
    Low pricing & honest customer service since 1998!

Email:sales@fasttoys.net
    Web: www.fasttoys.net

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Toys View Post
    Having personally destroyed 3 10 bolts on the shop car with (soft launches), I can tell you that the 10 bolt is not going to hold up to drag launches with sticky tires for very long.

The automatic equipped cars usually help the 10 bolt to live longer since it takes some of the shock out of the drivetrain. The 6 speed cars are way more likely to shred the rear end on hard launches especially if you go to a 4.10 gear where you have more torque multiplication and physically smaller teeth on the gears.

Some people put on a rear end girdle but that will only marginally help.

Since a blown up 10 bolt will probably cost you 600-1000.00 each time, blow up two and you paid for a 12 bolt. You can also do the 9" ford which is a bit stronger than the 12 bolt.

We sell the Moser rear ends and they are very dependable and you can retain your ABS and traction control as well.
    i can get a perfectly working 4 ch 10 bolt in less than 2 days for about 100 to 200 dollars all year long. here in so cal.

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    i can get a perfectly working 4 ch 10 bolt in less than 2 days for about 100 to 200 dollars all year long. here in so cal.
    I was talking about if you had to pay someone parts and labour to fix your 10 bolt if you broke it. If you can find a used one and do the labour yourself, it would be a lot cheaper!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 01 SS Vert View Post
    the burn out itself isnt going to stress...but its when the tires catch(aka right after your burnout/kicking sideways..when the car jerks back thats where the stress is...also doughnuts are a killer too ...i am now 21 years old..have had my car coming up on two years,,and its seen alot of track passes..but i make sure and not do excessive burnouts on the street/doughnuts..ive done two doughnuts total with my car..both on the first day i had it...take care of the rear and it will take car of you .......to a point

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the burn out itself isnt going to stress...but its when the tires catch(aka right after your burnout/kicking sideways..when the car jerks back thats where the stress is...also doughnuts are a killer too ...i am now 21 years old..have had my car coming up on two years,,and its seen alot of track passes..but i make sure and not do excessive burnouts on the street/doughnuts..ive done two doughnuts total with my car..both on the first day i had it...take care of the rear and it will take car of you .......to a point
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Thread Information