Black
    1999 Trans Am

* Need help, just bought used 12 Bolt. *

Alright guys, I just bought a used Moser 12 Bolt and need to know what I need to install it. The rear came out of a 02' Trans Am with traction control. It is set up for TCS so it has the 4 channel. He included a drive shaft that is to be used in a 6-speed car. I need a parts list to install this rear. I am including pictures of what I have, so you can see what I am missing. I know nothing about rear ends and a friend of mine will be helping/doing the install for me. I just want to make sure I have all the parts we need before I rip the car apart. I don't even know what kind of fliud I should use in this rear, does it need the additive? As always, thanks for the help guys. Here are the specs and pics:

3.73 gear Eaton True Trac differential, 4-channel ABS, 33-spline axles

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Also, what is the deal with the exciter rings. What are they and what do they do? I know it has something to do with the TCS but I don't know what. I assume you have to have them pressed onto the axle? Will the stock suspension stuff be OK. Torque Arm, Panhard Rod, LCA's, and springs/shocks? Is any of this stuff a must have for the install? I will upgrade eventually but funds are currently low

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

All stock stuff should work on it. Looks like you'll need the axle end bearings and seals, other than that, I can't see much that you would need (except the backing plates from your old axle). Those rings are for the 4 channel ABS/TCS system. If you have the same 4-channel, you're good to go with the sensors you have on your backing plate (they detect the teeth on the ring and calculate the wheel speed), if not, just leave it there or take them out (easier to change lug studs without them), and install the center ring gear sensor (that's assuming the diff. has the reluctor wheel on it) ... looking at it closely, there is no hole for the 3-channel ABS sensor on the housing. It'll either have to be drilled (as in remover everthing, drill, re-assemble ... PITA) or run without ABS.

PS - also look at the sticky, much info there!
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 07-16-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    All stock stuff should work on it. Looks like you'll need the axle end bearings and seals, other than that, I can't see much that you would need (except the backing plates from your old axle). Those rings are for the 4 channel ABS/TCS system. If you have the same 4-channel, you're good to go with the sensors you have on your backing plate (they detect the teeth on the ring and calculate the wheel speed), if not, just leave it there or take them out (easier to change lug studs without them), and install the center ring gear sensor (that's assuming the diff. has the reluctor wheel on it) ... looking at it closely, there is no hole for the 3-channel ABS sensor on the housing. It'll either have to be drilled (as in remover everthing, drill, re-assemble ... PITA) or run without ABS.

PS - also look at the sticky, much info there!
    I do have a 4 channel with TCS in my car and was told this rear is set up for ABS and TCS as well. Should my car have a ring gear sensor too? Or does the ABS and TCS use the sensors on the axles and no ring gear sensor? Thanks for the help keep it coming, planning to install this weekend.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird View Post
    I do have a 4 channel with TCS in my car and was told this rear is set up for ABS and TCS as well. Should my car have a ring gear sensor too? Or does the ABS and TCS use the sensors on the axles and no ring gear sensor? Thanks for the help keep it coming, planning to install this weekend.
    That is right, no ring gear sensor for needed for you.

Thread Information