Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: truck tires...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

truck tires...

I'm needing some tires for my truck. Looking for ideas. I have Kuhmo mud tires on there now and I've always been a fan of Kuhmo and spread the word about them to people looking for tires normally. Their truck tires suck balls though. They started out great. Great in the mud, quiet on the highway, and looked like they were going to wear nice. I got 31k on them and they are shot though.....I gotta get more mileage than that out of tires. The last 10k miles has been miserable with them so they're really like a 20k mile tire. They're loud as hell, riding like shit, and damn near bald right now. Thus is my last Kuhmo truck tire.

Anyone have any good experience with mud tires? I'd love to have some King MT's but they're no longer made and I'm not sure of the ply. Since I haul a 5th wheel I need 10 ply tires. I had heard some good things about BFG KM2's which is where I'm leaning right now unless I can read some reviews on other tires that are good. I pretty much have to have mud tires too......I do a lot off road during the fall and winter getting back to my tree stands.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

A guy I work with had the BFG MT KM2's... they were great, but didn't last long at all, and they were loud and were awful in the snow/ice. Now he has the Goodyear Duratrac. They're better in the snow, they're quiet... not too sure on longevity yet.

I have the Bridgestone Dueler AT's and they are great. Not an aggressive mud tire, but they handle snow and ice very well.

white
    2001 Z28

I have the goodyear wrangler duratrack on my duramax and love them. As long as you rotate them every 6,000 miles or so they do not cup. I have not had one issue with traction either.
    2001 Camaro Z28 - AFR210 V2 Heads, JPH Cam, Fast 102mm intake, TS 100mm MAF, NW 102 TB, FTP 104mm lid, kooks 1 3/4 Long tubes, custom Y pipe w/dump, BMR LCA,TQ. Arm,PH bar, lca bracket,k member, Upper/Lower A arms, AFCO shocks
    11.20@120MPH
    459 RWHP and 410 RWTQ

2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I run Toyo 33's on the Hummer.. Could'nt be happier especially in the woods.

There's some highway rummble but with the windows closed you can't really hear it, with open windows you can still think over the mild growl they have.

It came factory with Crapyears and they were garbage..

Never had them off the pavement and 3 out of 4 had developed noisey bubbles in the shoulders even though they had lots of tread left, never had any luck with their car tires either.

Had a crapyear explode once and take out part of my rocker panel and front quarter on my GP.

Not a fan BF Junkrich, and shitstones either, had those on the AWD Equasux and it could'nt get out of it's own way in snow.

I only like Kumho auto-x non-street legal tires for sport cars , their all seasons are a desent tire but not so hot in bad wheather.

When I have to buy tires again for the H3 I'll be buying another set of Toyo's..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-30-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Equisux, Crapyear, BF Junkrich, Shitstones.... I need to start researching these brands!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I had goodyear MT's on my old truck....loved those tires. Awesome in mud and I got 70k miles out of the first set. Problem is they added the kevlar bullshit and jacked the price way up on them and my truck now weighs twice as much as my old one so I'm not sure what kinda mileage I'd get out of a set. Having a hard time figuring out what tire to go with. I gotta have a mud tire so the AT's are out of the question. Nitto started making a cross between the trail grappler and mud grappler but I'm pretty sure Nitto is gonna be a softer compound so the mileage will be terrible.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check out this dick It's from a truck board I go too and this is one of the sponsors. Stupid moron. I posted basically the same thing as I did here except I listed the 3 brands I've narrowed it down to. Just shows you the difference between this site and other sites.

my first post:
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Been working and reading on this for a while. Not sure I know much more now than I did 6 months ago when I started. Think I have my list down to 3 different tires. Toyo MT's, firestone destination MT's, and BFG KM2's. Probably in that order. I gotta have a mud tire, it has to be E rated, and I'd like to get as many miles as possible out of them. I current have Kuhmo MT's and I have 31k on them and they're done. I've always liked Kuhmo but there's just not enough mileage there to convince me to buy them again.

The 3 I'm down too seem like they have a pretty strong following. I know 3 people running the firestones on 3/4 ton trucks and they all love them. The Toyo and BFG look like a better tire in the mud. I talked to a guy local earlier this year in a dodge 2500 and he got 60k out of a set of KM2's but I'm not sure how much of that was on the highway. I do a lot of highway driving which kills those tires faster than they normally would go. Probably gonna get tires in the next 2 weeks so I'll update with what I end up buying. There are a couple other brands I want to look into also but for now the Toyo's probably have the edge.

his reply:
    If all you do is highway driving, your silly to get an MT. It's 110% pointless on the highway. The only conditions you'll ever encounter on the highway is wet, dry, snow and ice. For all of those an MT is absolutley WORTHLESS!! Put your ego to the side for a little while and buy a set of AT's and come over from the dark side. They'll be quiet, get better traction in everything except deep mud, and will last nearly twice as long.

I just don't understand the need for people to have MT's on a truck that rarely ever goes off pavement. My truck spends a fair amount of time off road and I've never been anywhere that AT's and some selective 4x4 can't take me. MT's SUCK in snow, and basically anything except wet soppy mud.

Buy some BFG AT's and thank me later

my reply to him
    since it's pretty obvious you put your reading skills aside for this thread I highlighted the important part. What part of "a lot" did you get "all" out of? I spend every weekend (4 day weekends) plus a 9 day stretch every fall bow hunting. To get to my stands I'm on roads that ain't roads anymore. I spend every spring on those roads going turkey hunting. Unfortunately though I don't live there and live where there's pavement so I tend to do a lot of driving on said pavement. I don't want 2 sets of tires so I need 1 good set of MT's that I'd love to get 50k out of. The roads I'm on laugh at AT tires. Not an option. I'm doing good to get up them with MT's if it's been raining much and had to start parking further down and walking in further this fall since my current MT's are about done. I also owned some bfg AT's a bunch of years ago....worst tire I've ever owned.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Damnit Orion... put your ego aside and carress this guys balls...

What a douchebag!!! Especially from a sponsor. You'd expect a quality, intelligent post from a so called expert.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I know right? I thought it was pretty classless myself. I don't know the guy but just going by how most boards are I probably have underwear older than him and he's gonna explain to me how bad mud tires are on the highway. I've ran MT's on all my trucks since about 92. The last set I had that weren't MT's were BFG AT's that were on the truck when I bought it.....junk tire. I was coming home from the woods in the rain one time and went around a turn and the backend broke loose and the truck jumped sideways on me. Those tires only had like 12k on them when that happened so it wasn't like they were even bald......just not a good tire. The best set I had were Goodyear MT's but that was on a light truck and they don't make the regular MT's anymore....they make a kevlar version that's over $300 a tire and I wouldn't mind paying it if I knew for sure I would get 50k out of them. Those tires could tear through some mud. They were nasty on the street which doesn't really bother me too much....it's a trade off. Those were also on a truck that weighed half of what this truck does so that tire would act completely different on this truck. I think the Toyo's might be the way I go this time....unless I read/hear something that changes my mind in the next week or so. There's a tire place about an hour from here I'm going to get them at....guy is dirt cheap and pretty much installs them for free without all the BS extra fees they stick on at discount. I want to talk to him about it before I buy anything....he's a good dude and knows his shit.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

IMHO, what you need to do is get into researching tread patterns and compounds.

I know you said AT's are'nt where you want to go but there are AT tread patterns and compounds that can get you there imho.

The tread pattern on the Goodyears from the factory I had were more of a highway pattern with a semi rugged shoulder design.

They just plain sucked if it was'nt dry, and spin happy in mud.

The Toyo tires I run are a much better AT tread pattern but you do hear some growl.

Toyo open country tread design is IMHO the near perfect combo for everything you like in a tire.

50K wear rating, with a block style (nobby) tread pattern.

I have ~ 9-10 inches of under pumkin clearance on my rear axle, but ~ 19-20 inches everwhere elses from factory, as I up graded slightly to a 33 from the old 32's.

A couple of weeks ago durring a rescue of some buddies I had her burried nearly to the rockers in mud and snow.

I hit the lockers, and walked right out no problem, even though the "trail" was nothing more than a muddy mess of a quad path.

Both guys looked at eachother and wondered how I came in the way I did as they stayed on the pipeline road and got stuck after they got on the quad trail.

I never left the cab except to talk to them when I got there. We exited the woods from about 1.5 miles or so of goat path in the same way I got in there.

I believe Toyo also offers a 500 mile try and return policy on their AT's, I'd try them and if they don't work for what you need, return them.

Pure mudders tend to be a softer compound and the tread patterns tend to get very hot on paved roads, imho, that's what kills them quick.

Some patterns though they look mean and look like they maybe good for mud are'nt, and they just dig in till you're burried up to your axles and frame rails.

As you know, once the axles and frame are burried, you're done off roading without a pull. If you're alone, you have to wait for a pull of walk out for help.

Both options there suck, as your help may get stuck too. Again IMHO, I'd be more interested in tread patterns as well as compounds.

I think if you can merg the two as closely as possible for your needs, you'll get what you need from a set of truck tires and be happiest.

Though I'm not as heavy as you, I am still very heavy, don't have your power, and would not even think twice about entering the woods on the Toyo's.

On the factory Goodyear AT's, I felt it was'nt even an option, and almost all the youtubes of H3's stuck are sitting on Goodyears as I recognize the crap tread pattern right a way.

Just my $5.00 worth..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the goodyear mud wranglers I had were great in the mud. They cleaned out well and they have pretty decent side biters on them. My wife had the duratraks on her durango and there's no way I could run that tire for what I do. When I first got my duramax I pulled it off next to the house in the edge of the woods so some guys could cut a tree that was in front of the house. Buried it up on the stock tires in my own yard. haha Put my wife in my old truck that had the goodyears on it and pulled my new truck out with it through the same mud.
    I have read a ton of good reviews on the Toyo open country MT's so for now that's probably what I'm getting. I tell you what I really want.....Mud king MT's but they no longer make that tire. That's a bad ass mud tire. My buddy has a set on his duramax right now that has over 60k miles on them and still going. I'll get it figured out and get some tires on it. Worst case scenario is I just don't get the better mileage but these Kuhmos went away so fast it shouldn't be hard to beat them.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

haha.....got a reply....now I'm an asshole

No need to be an asshole, nobody likes to help assholes out. If you would have said you need tires that are good in deep mud I wouldn't have said anything at all about ATs. So its not that I didn't read, you just didn't specify WHY you NEED a MT. 99% of people who buy MTs don't need them and just do it for looks, they NEED to look badass lol. Then they get pissed when they pay out the ass for them over an AT and only get 20-30k miles out of them. Wtf do you expect from a mud tire that spends 99.9% of its time on pavement?

Just trying to save you from making the mistake we all constantly see people bitching about on here. But in your case you'll just have to live with expensive tires that don't last, as all MTs are both of those.

Sent from my old skool Droid

White
    2008 Hummer H3

the goodyear mud wranglers I had were great in the mud. They cleaned out well and they have pretty decent side biters on them. My wife had the duratraks on her durango and there's no way I could run that tire for what I do. When I first got my duramax I pulled it off next to the house in the edge of the woods so some guys could cut a tree that was in front of the house. Buried it up on the stock tires in my own yard. haha Put my wife in my old truck that had the goodyears on it and pulled my new truck out with it through the same mud.
    I have read a ton of good reviews on the Toyo open country MT's so for now that's probably what I'm getting. I tell you what I really want.....Mud king MT's but they no longer make that tire. That's a bad ass mud tire. My buddy has a set on his duramax right now that has over 60k miles on them and still going. I'll get it figured out and get some tires on it. Worst case scenario is I just don't get the better mileage but these Kuhmos went away so fast it shouldn't be hard to beat them.
    I think you'll like pretty much anything Toyo offers for your needs, they really seem to stand by their product.

haha.....got a reply....now I'm an asshole
    That guy is one seriously oppinionated sponser..Wow! He still missed the part about not driving it all the time..

Terrible tude! 99% for looks he says? Still could'nt really answer your question. Not every MT is created equal, I guantee there's an MT out there for your needs that will last.

He's just pushing what needs sold, which is the first red flag.

To me, if you're not selling a particular brand it's likely because it's not very good. imho

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Check out the COOPER STT Mud Terrain. I have really been liking the coopers lately.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post
    Check out the COOPER STT Mud Terrain. I have really been liking the coopers lately.
    I actually looked at those the last time I bought tires. Pep boys always has good deals on those tires. Problem is I tow a 5er and need E rated tires....the 285/75/16 in that tire is a D rated tire.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Nitto terra grappler ben running a 285 75 17 for a few years now great tire all around they also have a mud tire

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

Red
    1999 Z28

Don't buy mud tires for longevity. You'll never find one. Been wheelin for 22 years, ain't seen one yet. You can get decent mileage out of one, if you keep them rotated and air checked. Always look for a M/T with close tread blocks. Though they are less aggressive off road, they have better highway manners. I'm running a 35" Dunlop Maxx Traction M/T's (discontinued) on my truck, and will get about 40k. That's about all you can ask out of a M/T. Toyo Open Country M/T's would be a good option. Goodyear has a decent tire, but IMOP you pay for the name. BFG KM2 are not good for highway.

Not sure I agree with the low mileage figures. I ran a set of goodyear MT/R's on my wifes rubicon (factory issue tires) We bought that jeep new, I put 40,000 miles on that jeep and they still had 50% tread left when I sold it with original tires intact.
    I'm certain I could have went another 20,000 easily before I would have been thinking of another set.

Loved the MT/R's, quiet operation with good street mannors and were incredible in the snow and off road. If I were to do another set of semi aggressive tread that would be my first choice. The kevlar design was awsome. 3 nails in those tires and never a leak, great for sharp rocks in the creek beds around here too. I like the looks of the Duratracks for something cheaper, but I've never tried them. My father is thinking of trying a set, I'll have to see how he likes them at the next snow fall.

I currently just run BFG all terrains. Not an aggressive tire (definately not sloppy mud) but they have the look and road mannors that I wanted for my 72 blazer. Just didn't want a nobby tire on it. They aren't bad off roading in loose sand and dirt, and even mild rocks, they've done okay. I have no interest in going out in the mud with this truck and snow isn't a big concern here in AZ unless I choose to drive up to it,,, so the tires seem to suit me for my needs at the moment. About 30,000 miles on them now and they still look like I just put them on. Seem to be wearing like rocks
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-12-2012 at 02:10 PM.

I actually looked at those the last time I bought tires. Pep boys always has good deals on those tires. Problem is I tow a 5er and need E rated tires....the 285/75/16 in that tire is a D rated tire.
    Wow, that's making the choices slim. I run E rated tires on my 1 ton, but it's just a tow rig (not a 4x4 either) no off roading with that so street looking tires work fine for that truck

Sounds like you need a tire that does it all. That sounds expensive.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

they're all expensive. I liked my goodyear mtr's on my old truck but it weighed about half as much as this one. Not sure I'm willing to take a $1200-1300 gamble on that tire. The Toyo's have tons of good feedback so I'll most likely give those a shot unless the guy at the tire store has a better suggestion. I have a couple buddies that go to this guy and he's supposedly top notch and on the straight and narrow....never recommends his most expensive tires unless that's what you want kinda deal. He's also much cheaper than the box tire places. He did the last set for my buddy which is the same tire I'm running for $175 a tire installed. Can't beat that price.

Thread Information