Thread: Truck info?

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Truck info?

So I just purchased a 2002 chevy 2500 with a 6.0 liter. Does anyone have any info as far as common problems and mods for trucks? If so, it would be a good sticky for this section. Although not an f-body, I'm sure a few of us could find this info useful. My truck is completely stock. What's a good starting point as far as drivetrain and suspension? My truck being a 3/4 ton, I'm sure it's a little different and definately weighs more. It's a noticable difference in power compared to the 99 gmc I had. Only thing I don't like is the dog leg rear end and 8 lug wheels.

green
    98 formula

The most cost effective mods are exhaust and air intake. I love my 3/4 ton.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    The most cost effective mods are exhaust and air intake. I love my 3/4 ton.
    What kind of gains can I expect with longtubes, stock cats, and aftermarket muffler? And also? Is it safe to turn off the torque managment? Just seems like there's a lot more risk with a truck.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    What kind of gains can I expect with longtubes, stock cats, and aftermarket muffler? And also? Is it safe to turn off the torque managment? Just seems like there's a lot more risk with a truck.
    Its hard to say but it should feel quicker, and get more mpg's. The tq management is there to save your trans. It can be turned off and most likely won't hurt anything as long as you use your head, like not flooring it when towing.

pewter
    99 trans am

i dont tow anything so i should be ok. I signed up at ls1truck.com, made a post asking if there were any stickies about common problems and mods that they were doin to their trucks. 15 views and no responses. Whats up with this? also, i see an advertisement for ford mustang on their site..lol...im confused.

green
    98 formula

Every vehicle has problems. I can't really say what the "weak points" are. These websites are free to us, and they sell advertising space to cover the cost. Be sure to keep up on all your fluids, and you will be fine.

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

With the mods in my sig I get 19~21 mpg on the highway. I'm looking to add longtubes and cam next. First mod I would do is tune. I gained a solid 2 mpg with the Westers tune and it felt like a totally different truck after. Next, I would add electric fans.....they also gave me a solid gain as well as lowered tranny temps. If you need info on mods, PM me.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

the mods are close to the same as any ls car but with a diffrent intake. the trans is the week link in almost any gm truck but you sould still get 100k out of it if you dont beat the crap out of it. e-fans are always good as posted already, a tune and your standerd bolt on's sould hold you for a bit.

Puter
    2002 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 s/c

The '02 Chevy 6.0 are notorious for piston slap. Lots of noise. I have one with 140,000 miles that is supercharged and I love it.
    If it is a 4X4 the transfer case has an issue of the oil slinger rubbing a hole in the case. There is a redesigned transfer case that fixes this problem, I now have on of those.
    A tune and a better exhaust will bring you a fair amount of power. My tune kept the torque management because I tow a heavy trailer it also increased my mileage a little. The biggest complaint I have with my truck is the drivers side power window mechanism fails about every 18 months or so.
    My truck is a 4X4 so I have 4.10 gears with 265-75-16 tires, my gas mileage drops fast once I go over 55MPH. I can get 17MPG at 55mph but at 75 it is down at 11-12 MPG.
    I just read that there is something under investigation having to do with brake lines corrosion on the 1999-2002 GM full size trucks.
    The upper ball joint zerk fittings are difficult to get a grease gun on. Look for a mound of grease on top of the upper ball joint to see if yours has been grease properly. Mound of grease is bad.
    The exhaust manifold is known to have the rear bolt shear off causing an exhaust leak. I am told this bolt is difficult to access. Because of this difficulty my head had to be sent to a machine shop to drill it out when the bolt failed.
    One more thing, the AC has a separate belt, the serpentine belt does not drive the AC compressor. This belt is frequently missed when doing a belt change.
    The rear brakes and the parking brake are temperamental the pads can get sideways and the parking brake shoe friction material can just fall off and leave you without a parking brake.
    My truck lives a hard life at times and has never left me stranded, the 6.0, 4L80E and a 14 bolt rear end make for a stout truck.
    I know from my friend who has done several lifts on these truck that they can be tricky, he explained it to me but my eyes glazed over, something to do with drive shaft angle, sorry.
    If you have specific questions please ask.
    ....I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic...

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

I just traded in my '02 Silverado and picked up an '07. The infamous 6.0 liter cold-knock, I had it, nothing ever happened because of it. I did my ball-joints twice (I plow a lot). I had to replace my water-pump at 120,000mi. If you plan on doing it yourself, you need to borrow a specialty tool from G.M. that removes the clutch fan from the pump. I tried the coat-hanger thing and it didn't work.

Aside from that, my truck did everything I asked it to. Hauled a 10,000lb trailer during the fair season, plowed all winter long, and sounded awesome with a Dynomax cat-back.

Just like the people above me said, stay up on your routine maintenance and it'll last you a long time. Congratulations on a fine purchase!

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LS1FirehawkWS6 View Post
    I just traded in my '02 Silverado and picked up an '07. The infamous 6.0 liter cold-knock, I had it, nothing ever happened because of it. I did my ball-joints twice (I plow a lot). I had to replace my water-pump at 120,000mi. If you plan on doing it yourself, you need to borrow a specialty tool from G.M. that removes the clutch fan from the pump. I tried the coat-hanger thing and it didn't work.

Aside from that, my truck did everything I asked it to. Hauled a 10,000lb trailer during the fair season, plowed all winter long, and sounded awesome with a Dynomax cat-back.

Just like the people above me said, stay up on your routine maintenance and it'll last you a long time. Congratulations on a fine purchase!
    yea man i think my water pump may be on the fritz too....its got a leak somewhere and i cant see where...

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

yea man i think my water pump may be on the fritz too....its got a leak somewhere and i cant see where...
    i dont know about the new stuff but i know the old stuff like the gen 1 stuff had a sep hole in them where they would leak 1st befor they would go bad.(most of the time)

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    i dont know about the new stuff but i know the old stuff like the gen 1 stuff had a sep hole in them where they would leak 1st befor they would go bad.(most of the time)
    yes indeed. There is a weep hole on the water pump that lets you know the seal in it is just about shot. I give it three weeks (under ideal circumstances) before it starts getting real bad.

Thread Information