Thread: Tow truck!!!

pewter
    2000 firebird

Tow truck!!!

so just out of curiosity i was wondering if i could fined a good truck capable of towing my formula to the track for around $2000 any suggjestions in what to look for ?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

any old 3/4 ton chevy.

pewter
    2000 firebird

Yea its hard to find a clean one for my price range . Suburban I would like .

pewter
    2000 firebird

How's rear suspension pretty beefy ?

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Any old 3/4 ton gas chevy 2wd should have plenty of ass and suspension for towing a car trailer

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

You can probably find an older 3/4 ton rock crusher diesel too for around that price.

Love the turbo diesels but still pricey even for a used one.

Your cheapest approach would be something like this....

But you'll still have to up your price range and also more than likely be willing to travel to find a decent one. There are plenty out west here (where mine came from) that are solid and even still sport original paint (like mine) if you look hard enough. But prices now range in the $5-$8k range if you find a big block truck like mine.
    Mine is a 1 ton single axles and yanks my 10,000 lbs. (loaded) trailer around easily. 3/4 tons are more plentifull and probably all you need. I'd definately spring for a big block minimum though. I've never been happy towing with 350's myself, and around this mountain terrain it's asking for trouble anyway.

Since these old square bodies have become more popular in recent years, you might even want to look at something a little newer from the late 80's and early 90's. 3/4 ton suburbans make a great tow rig as well, and can be had with 454's up through about 1999 (then they went to the 496 for a few more years before the big block was dropped). I'm looking at one as a matter of fact. I see them in the $2k-$5k price range if you stay in the older to mid 90's year range,,,,and they are a hell of a truck with room to haul the family an added bonus. Just another option. I've expanded my search to 2001-2004 suburban 3/4 ton 4x4's with either the 6.0 or the 496 (only 2 engine options for the 3/4 ton). Only problem with the 6.0 is that I can't tow my enclosed with it around here but it would pull most anything else, open trailers would be a piece of cake.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-23-2013 at 06:42 AM.

pewter
    2000 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Love the turbo diesels but still pricey even for a used one.

Your cheapest approach would be something like this....

Click for full size
    Click for full size

But you'll still have to up your price range and also more than likely be willing to travel to find a decent one. There are plenty out west here (where mine came from) that are solid and even still sport original paint (like mine) if you look hard enough. But prices now range in the $5-$8k range if you find a big block truck like mine.
    Mine is a 1 ton single axles and yanks my 10,000 lbs. (loaded) trailer around easily. 3/4 tons are more plentifull and probably all you need. I'd definately spring for a big block minimum though. I've never been happy towing with 350's myself, and around this mountain terrain it's asking for trouble anyway.

Since these old square bodies have become more popular in recent years, you might even want to look at something a little newer from the late 80's and early 90's. 3/4 ton suburbans make a great tow rig as well, and can be had with 454's up through about 1999 (then they went to the 496 for a few more years before the big block was dropped). I'm looking at one as a matter of fact. I see them in the $2k-$5k price range if you stay in the older to mid 90's year range,,,,and they are a hell of a truck with room to haul the family an added bonus. Just another option. I've expanded my search to 2001-2004 suburban 3/4 ton 4x4's with either the 6.0 or the 496 (only 2 engine options for the 3/4 ton). Only problem with the 6.0 is that I can't tow my enclosed with it around here but it would pull most anything else, open trailers would be a piece of cake.
    Wow lot of good info thanks! I would like a suburban like you said to haul family / friends would be a plus I also really wouldn't mind a truck for the bed either like you said I would have to just search . But why not 350 ? Don't get me wrong would love a big block.

Just personal preference. I've towed alot with 350's, it's okay but not what I consider good enough. But as I got older the things I was towing also got bigger.

If all you have is an open trailer and car that might top 6,000 lbs, a 350 will do the job. If you live in hilly terrain it might be a bit frustrating however. Mountains around here with 7-8% grades for 6-7 miles at a time, going from 1,000 feet to over 6,000 feet elevation,,,it's enough to stop semi's,,,,so I like alot of towing power. I have a 502 in the truck pictured above just for that reason. If it wasn't for that, I'd have a duramax in the driveway

A 1500 350 burb would probably suit you pretty well.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Get the bigger motor. You'll regret it later.

puter/blk
    02 CAMARO Z28

Hell I pulled 9, 000 26 ft camper to yellow stone with a 91 Chevy 1/2 ton.. lol with a 305 and a standard tranny... when I moved from wy to pa I pulled my camaro and a four wheeler with that 1/2 ton... now my dually pulls it a lot better but my 1/2 got it done
    [/SIGPIC]granatelli mafs,slp cold air pkg,smooth bellow,ported tb, msd ignition,lt pacesetter headers,off road y pipe,lm2,100 shot.4l60e by performabuilt transmission level 3 3800 stall and 3.73's gears,cut outs, bmr suspension , control arms, phb, sub frame connectors,3.5 aluminum drive line

Quote Originally Posted by WILDKARDBOYZ View Post
    Hell I pulled 9, 000 26 ft camper to yellow stone with a 91 Chevy 1/2 ton.. lol with a 305 and a standard tranny... when I moved from wy to pa I pulled my camaro and a four wheeler with that 1/2 ton... now my dually pulls it a lot better but my 1/2 got it done
    Yeah, that's not a very enjoyable trip, not by my standards anyway. Even my dads 02 3/4 ton 6.0 truck can't keep up with my 34 year old BBC
    We both pulled open trailers from Cincinnati to Norwalk. I pulled my 70 Formula and he pulled his 69 GTO. Keep in mind Ohio is pretty flat, but on I-75 you do run into very slight grades that might last a mile. I'm talking very mild, maybe 1-2%.
    My truck would just flat run away from him going 65 mph. He would fall back a mile, I'd have to slow and let him catch up. Just not the way I prefer to tow, especially when going across country. I can't even imagine how bad a 305 would be. I'd be running with the flashers on most of the time

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

its all is how you are towing it is it an open single car trailer like the ones you get at u-haul or a inclosed one like firebirdjones and soon me are towing? if its open then any 1/2 ton will do it just fine i used to tow a 25 foot bout to the lake and back about 3 hours each way with my 1/2 on blazer but that was more they your combo would run for sure a car traler with car and its fine. if you are wanting to upgrade later then save you coin and get the big truck now. thats the best thing to do and what i did i have a 01 duramax drw now just need the trailer to tow

Duramax is sweet, my neighbor has an 02. We took turns pulling my 28 foot enclosed, my old 79 with a 502 one week and his Duramax the next.

Pulled about the same as we both have about the same amount of torque and HP, but he averaged about 3 mpg better than mine. But all he has to do is tweak the tune (it's a stocker) and in a few minutes have a butt load of power.

Loved the duramax, I'd have one but I can't buy one for what little money I have in my rig so I just dream. I think I'm getting too old to fork over that kind of money for a truck I'd seldom use anyway. My old beater does a pretty good job for what I do.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

my duramax has the stock tune but has bolt ons im wanting to get some tunes done befor i move with it and as soon as i get my taxes done im going to pic up a new 28 foot v-nose to put behind the truck

Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    my duramax has the stock tune but has bolt ons im wanting to get some tunes done befor i move with it and as soon as i get my taxes done im going to pic up a new 28 foot v-nose to put behind the truck
    Nice. He's not interested in modding his at all, not even a tune. It's just a good truck to have around to him. He doesn't use it much anyway, only has 30k miles on it, just sits in the garage unless it's needed. Exactly how I treat my truck too. Great to have around when you need it.

If I had one complaint with his duramax, it's that while towing and leaving a stoplight, it was sluggish for the first 20-30 feet or so, then it would get up and go fine. He complains of the same thing. You don't notice it running empty (just the truck) I Don't know much about them but I assume that was just turbo lag, or possibly some safety feature to keep some strain off the drivetrain on initial take off. I keep telling him a tune will probably cure that easily

red
    95 Z28

The newer duramax engines with variable geometry turbos have reduced that feeling of "lag" alot. And while your gasser might make the same peak power numbers, it absolutely does not make as much power under the curve. The dmax will make far more horsepower and torque earlier in the rpm band.
    Last edited by 5.0THIS; 01-29-2013 at 09:33 AM.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

ya a tune would fix that right up if he dosnt want to fix it up much tell him to look at duramaxtuner.com it a mail order tune shop just like frost and they are not that bad price and they will tune for a stock trans and turbo that is what i want to get befor my move

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    The newer duramax engines with variable geometry turbos have reduced that feeling of "lag" alot. And while your gasser might make the same peak power numbers, it absolutely does not make as much power under the curve. The dmax will make far more horsepower and torque earlier in the rpm band.
    I'm sure a simple tune would cure it.

Not sure about the curve on the D-max since GM doesn't supply that, but mine has been dyno'd. I can tell you it starts making 500 ft lbs. at a very low 2600 rpms and carries it all the way to 4700 rpms,,(peaked at 540),,it's a pretty damn flat torque curve and it's right where you need it, with 3.73's the engine is always in a sweet spot.
    When I drove the D-max it never felt torquey until the turbo came in, and as I said, it was rather laggy and didn't do much till above 2,000 anyway. Either truck pulled the trailer up the hills around here with ease with no distinct advantage. That D-max in stock form only betters in mileage, and that wasn't by much in my opinion.

However, I know with a few key strokes it's easy to unleash power in the turbo diesel, no question about that.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-29-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Thread Information