red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

ticking sound in a 98 Z71

im looking at a 98 Z71 5.7 When you first start it up it ticks like an LS1. Almost goes away once it is warmed up but you can still hear it when you stop and it is idling. Oil pressure is good and runs fine. Im guessing lifters, but my question is how reliable is this truck going to be on a 6 hours trip and does it mean that the motor is gone. The truck is 6 hours away and Im thinking about buying it. For the price I can put a motor in it but just dont want it to blow up half way home.

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by red99ws6 View Post
    im looking at a 98 Z71 5.7 When you first start it up it ticks like an LS1. Almost goes away once it is warmed up but you can still hear it when you stop and it is idling. Oil pressure is good and runs fine. Im guessing lifters, but my question is how reliable is this truck going to be on a 6 hours trip and does it mean that the motor is gone. The truck is 6 hours away and Im thinking about buying it. For the price I can put a motor in it but just dont want it to blow up half way home.
    This may be a stupid question, but did you pull the fluid sticks on the truck? Valve noise is caused by low oil levels. It'll still have oil pressure if there's some oil in the pan, but who's to say it's low. And are you sure it's a tick and not an exhaust leak noise? Just tryin' to help, lemme know if you've solved said mystery. And I don't believe a little valve tick (or exhaust leak) should comprimise the motor. I'd baby it home to be on the safe side.

Thread Information