Street/strip truck build

Hello everyone, I’m in the very early stages of a hot street/strip truck build, so early I haven’t even bought a truck yet. I’m wanting a regular cab, short bed, two wheel drive GM truck to put an LS in. I’m leaning towards a 1999-200x truck that came with a 4.8 or 5.3 and a 4L60e. I want to put a 6.0 or 6.2 and a 4L80e in it. My plan would be a simple build with probably a forged rotating assembly and basic valve train mods to work with a single or twin turbos. Are there any particular year trucks that are more desirable or ones to stay away from? What about year model engines and trans to look for or avoid? I’m wanting to do this on a relative budget and as much all myself as possible. The budget isn’t as important as avoiding problems with comparability between the 1500 truck and the swapped engine/trans. I’m in an area where I do not know of a shop that could help me through those questions. So I’m trying to avoid pitfalls like fighting with electronics from different years and other unexpected issues. Thanks for any info or help in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As long as you acquire the PCM along with the engine and transmission you should be fine. You'll have a few things to work through but nothing insurmountable with a good schematic.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Understand that the year you're look at are 24x reluctor wheels. 6.0 after 04' are 58x reluctor wheels. That's why Jeff suggested getting the ecm and wire harness with the engine and tranny.

If you do drop in a newer engine/tranny into the later year you'll also need to do some rewiring of the harness to be able to work with the dash cluster and guages.

Even still you have many options to solve this.

Since you are planning to do some internal upgrades if you get a newer engine you can easily convert it over to 24x reluctor wheel, they are pressed on the crank and if you order one they will install it for you. Change out the crank and cam sensors to 24x and it will work with the trucks harness and ecm. If you're going in the block this would be the least expensive and time option.

Also some of the newer yrs you need to see if the dod (displacement on demand) where it shuts off injectors for fuel management. You will need to do a delete kit for that.

My 6.0L is a 04' LQ4 that was bored to 4.005" with my 4" stroker crank I have a 403ci. I did a budget build but still spent money in parts as well.

Off the top of my head

K1 Forged crank $900
    DSS Pistons - $400
    SCAT I Beam Forged Rods - $360
    King Bearings - $200
    ARP Rod/Main/Head studs - $630
    Cam - $400
    Oil Pump - $130

Plus about $1200 more in all the other little parts like gaskets, rings, valves, springs, lifters etc...
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Thanks for the info everybody. That’s what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the good info everybody. I’m moving forward but the plan changed a little. I may regret this but I felt like the price was too good to pass up. Instead of a 6.0, I bought an entire donor vehicle. It’s a 2001 Yukon XL 2500 with the Vortec 8100 big block, a 4L80e and I’m pretty sure a full floater 14 bolt, disc brake rear axle. I really wanted a 6 liter LS but this whole donor vehicle was cheaper than some complete 6.0s I was finding. The 8100 runs great and has 40 pounds of oil pressure when warm. The 4L80e shifts great but doesn’t have reverse. The seller says it’s the reverse safety switch and I think he is right. It doesn’t make any funny noises when put in reverse. It actually doesn’t change at all when going from park to reverse. It’s seems like an electrical issue and doesn’t even recognize it’s in reverse. Other than reverse, the trans works normally and doesn’t seem to slip at all. The recipient truck is a 1999 Chevy 1500 regular cab, short bed two wheel drive. It is a V6 auto truck with a rod knock. I plan on taking the entire driveline, motor, trans, rear axle, radiator, electronics and anything else I need from the Yukon and installing it in the C1500. Any advice or things to look out for with this particular swap would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your time.

Thread Information