silver
    2005 Silverado

Smile Silerado Valvetrain noise

I was writing just to thank you all for a thread I read on a ticking or tapping noise from engine. The thread said that the oil pick-up tube has an o-ring at the oil pump, if it's damaged will cause the oil pump to send airrated oil to the first lifter causing it to tap/tick. This was exactly right and replacing the o-ring has fixed the problem completely. I can't find the thread any more though? Also a bunch of the other threads say all kinds of bull crap about this problem, is there a good way to know which threads are good and which are bull crap? Newbee.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

For most of the common technical questions, the "good" threads have been stickied at the top of the applicable sub-forum.

silver
    2005 Silverado

Pajeff02, I've also got an 02 Z-28 so we both have similar cars! Just went over 200,000 on my Z-28 and 240,000 mi on Silverado. Chevy strong!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Very cool! Keep up with the maintenance and these engines will go a long way. Our Suburban has 108,000 on the clock and the Trans Am is at 80,000 or so now.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Runnings View Post
    I was writing just to thank you all for a thread I read on a ticking or tapping noise from engine. The thread said that the oil pick-up tube has an o-ring at the oil pump, if it's damaged will cause the oil pump to send airrated oil to the first lifter causing it to tap/tick. This was exactly right and replacing the o-ring has fixed the problem completely. I can't find the thread any more though? Also a bunch of the other threads say all kinds of bull crap about this problem, is there a good way to know which threads are good and which are bull crap? Newbee.
    If you have the M code motor AFM it is the AFM lifters. There is a tech bulletin out from GM. The O ring thing is a problem but AFM lifters are the weak point eventually.

silver
    2005 Silverado

The IT guys at my work just seem to have blocked me from accessing this site at work so I need to write from home on a kindal which is a little bit of a Hastie. My ac compressor went out last summer on my camaro but I limped through the summer without it, no small feat out here in the desert of CA with temps up to 105 a few times! . I got a new one on line but haven't put it in yet, better do it before it gets hot again. I previously replaced the evap/dryer but the compressor just is worn out. I plan to pull/replace the expansion orifce when I do it and if I find a bunch of crud on the orifice probably my should do the condenser too, right?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yes. If the system is crudded up you will be pulling it back apart before too long. You can try to blow out the condensor and see what you get...

Regular oil changes help a lot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thread Information